EU madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Want to get an inkling why people voted to leave the EU? How about this: We have a bank account in Spain into which I transfer sufficient money from our British bank to cover the direct debits on our property in Spain...just a few thousand euros a year.

Now the Spanish bank wants proof of where we get our money to put into the British bank. But a bank statement wont do they want proof of the payments by sending them statements from our pension suppliers . Even the British bank has never asked for this, and because the girl in the Spanish bank didnt seem to know exactly what was required (she just gave us a standard letter) I strongly suspect its EU money-laudering rules, with their one size fits all approach.

She also wanted proof that the money was paid in regularly but still said the bank statement wasnt wanted. She seemed to think that every time money was paid in, we got a statement. In other words she appeared to assume that everyone in the EU had the same system as Spain.

In the event I think we may have sorted this out via our Spanish solicitor, but we still have to send them the regular annual missive from the DWP stating what out State Pension is. So then they will know what Im getting and why, while the British Bank doesnt need to know.

EU madness, while locally here, in Tenerife, officials are known to have taken millions of euros in bribes to allow illegal building permissions, and the developers then managed to pocket millions of euros from unsuspecting would-be buyers who never got the apartments they paid deposits on. Court orders have been made but never enforced.

The bottom line is that either deliberately or without caring the EU is on a course to destroy the cultures of the various countries that make it, and wishes to create a United States of Europe, which I know many people think would be a good thing. But do those same people think that ISIS destroying some of the most ancient and magnificent buildings on earth, so that the world becomes a radical Muslim state with no links to the past, is also OK?

Diversity has always been what makes life interesting. Im glad I voted out. Not just for the UK but for Europe.

bezzer

Site Supporter
Well that must be a first......

You managed to get a moan in about the EU, Banks, Bureaucrats and ISIS in one thread!!

[:D]

Last edited:

BrianEmb

Originally posted by bezzer

Well that must be a first......

You managed to get a moan in about the EU, Banks, Bureaucrats and ISIS in one thread!!

[:D]

Us insurance people have got off scot free on this one [:D]

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Unlikely to be AML rules - not aware of any new initiatives on this.

Which Spanish bank was it??

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Banca March.

It may be an old rule just being enforced, of course.

Last edited:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a thought, if it's like that when we're both part of the EU, are you expecting it to be more or less straightforward when we aren't?

rodring

Account Locked
Two socks fell of my washing line today and landed in an old bait tub full of dirty water, EU.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
In the UK the action of the Spanish bank clerk would get them in trouble and even in extreme cases arrested. It is known as "tipping off". If a bank suspects money laundering then they should report it internally to their fraud department but not warn or advise the customer that they are being reported on. This would tip the customer off that they are suspected and hence could aid a criminal in evading arrest.

Alan Goodlad

So you have moaned about every aspect of it ,begs to ask the question why buy a property there and visit if it rubs you up so much ,do I get a sniff of hypocrisy

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Not at all. We opened our account there in 2004. Never had problems before, and weve been into the bank every time weve been over ie about 3 times every year. Strange that suddenly they want to know where our meagre amount of money comes from. The big problem is that the girl in the bank didnt really know exactly what documents she wanted! A bit stupid when weve never had more than about 3,000 in the account since buying the apartment. Hardly likely to be money-laundering!

Yuccaman - its more straightforward now in the UK. If they want to know where our money comes from they can just look at our bank account. But that is not sufficient, apparently, in Spain. I think its reasonable to suggest its probably a EU ruling.

What really annoyed us was that the bank didnt really understand what they wanted. Only that they have refused to renew my wifes debit card. There were four of us in the bank at the time and not one of us understood exactly what they required. The letter they gave us was no help at all. So Ive had to pay a solicitor to find out.

He says they require an up-to-date copy of our passport, which the girl in the bank insisted they did not require, even though we had them with us, and our DWP annual statements (but not statements from our other pension providers which makes the whole thing pointless).

I think its a reasonable grumble...

[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.