Essential match tackle?

hamoodos

The new lockdown rules have meant I've joined my local angling club for the first time, rather than travelling to other South West fisheries like viaduct etc. I'm relatively inexperienced, 23 years old, and have recently re-caught the fishing bug I had in my teens.
With this being the case, most of my gear is hand me downs, some is probably older than me!
Obviously there are none going at the moment, but when normality returns I'd be keen to get involved with some club matches, so what do you guys consider vital gear to start out?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Depends on the types of waters you'll be fishing & the types of fish you'll be expecting to catch really. Are their matches trips to other venues or do they have their own waters on canals, rivers or ponds?
Also - check the club's match rules, regarding numbers of keepnets needed etc.

hamoodos

Depends on the types of waters you'll be fishing & the types of fish you'll be expecting to catch really. Are their matches trips to other venues or do they have their own waters on canals, rivers or ponds?
Also - check the club's match rules, regarding numbers of keepnets needed etc.
Mix of all of it mate, looking on Facebook they travel round to viaduct, sedges, todber Manor and the like as all are only an hour away

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m enjoying hearing that a 23 year old is taking up fishing again. Well done you. 👍.

Like what’s already been said .... what type of fishing is it you will be doing ? Naturals / commercials etc ?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
take all the gear as you cant use what you dont have, in line with the above which is type of fishing i would also add fish to your strengths/what works for you at the start and go from there

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mix of all of it mate, looking on Facebook they travel round to viaduct, sedges, todber Manor and the like as all are only an hour away
To fish all of these venues effectively, you will need a pole, a waggler rod and a feeder rod as a minimum. Todber would be mainly short pole fishing, with possibly a method feeder to an island. Viaduct could be pole, bomb and pellet or waggler and pellet. Sedges, again pole, bomb, method to islands and shallow waggler works in the summer.

If you get more into it, you can expand what you carry, but I would say to be in with a chance of competing week in week out you’ll need the three in my first sentence. To go with them, some pole rigs, feeders- cage and method and wagglers, both for fishing in the deck and shallow.

You are lucky, there is some great fishing in your clubs catchment.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
4 keepnets, 3 carp and 1 silvers. Landing net, from experience a 22inch is my choice when bigger carp are on the cards.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
To fish all of these venues effectively, you will need a pole, a waggler rod and a feeder rod as a minimum. Todber would be mainly short pole fishing, with possibly a method feeder to an island. Viaduct could be pole, bomb and pellet or waggler and pellet. Sedges, again pole, bomb, method to islands and shallow waggler works in the summer.

If you get more into it, you can expand what you carry, but I would say to be in with a chance of competing week in week out you’ll need the three in my first sentence. To go with them, some pole rigs, feeders- cage and method and wagglers, both for fishing in the deck and shallow.

You are lucky, there is some great fishing in your clubs catchment.
Excellent professional, local knowledge 👍👍👍

hamoodos

Thanks for the suggestions guys, all really helpful! Thought I should run you through what I have already! Pole wise it's an old MAP CFS Supremecy, 14.5m but very wobbly at that range, 1 top 2 and 1 top 3. I also bought a maver abyss margin pole for 40 odd quid a few years back. I have an 11ft pellet waggler rod, and had a 10ft feeder until it packed it in yesterday 🤦‍♂️ treated myself to a matrix p25 mk2 at Christmas, have 2 keepnets and an 18" landing net on a 2m handle that weighs a tonne

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Sounds like you may have a pretty good head start with the tackle you've got. I'm not familiar with those venues apart from reading @Maesknoll's blogs because he fishes them (they're well worth a read by the way). As I said re-keepnets......there will be weight limits per net & also a separate net required for silvers so you may need an extra one at least.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I would definitely take some bait :ROFLMAO:. Only being silly cos @Maesknoll know way better than me on those venues, even though todber is only 10 minutes away, never fish it lol.