Esselle pole repair kit

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
As above, has anyone used one ?
I want to strengthen the bottom section of a couple of power kits that feel a bit soft/spongy.
This is just for strengthening, not for fitting side pullers.
Any info would be welcome,
Thanks in advance 👍

JayBee

Site Supporter
Fine for your application.....I've bought and used two of the Esselle kits for pole repairs, puller reinforcement and rod repairs.
Just watch the instructional video and take your time.

Nicky Dodds

As above, has anyone used one ?
I want to strengthen the bottom section of a couple of power kits that feel a bit soft/spongy.
This is just for strengthening, not for fitting side pullers.
Any info would be welcome,
Thanks in advance 👍
Yes I bought one. I've used it extensively over the xmas period for exactly the same thing as yourself plus breaks and puller wraps. I'm at the point now where I've sourced resin, cloth, and tape from elsewhere when I eventually ran out. I find that using stabilized cloth better as the normal stuff has you pulling your hair out as it releases carbon strands as you brush the resin in.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Yes I bought one. I've used it extensively over the xmas period for exactly the same thing as yourself plus breaks and puller wraps. I'm at the point now where I've sourced resin, cloth, and tape from elsewhere when I eventually ran out. I find that using stabilized cloth better as the normal stuff has you pulling your hair out as it releases carbon strands as you brush the resin in.
Sources please Nicky.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I've used a couple and bought extra bits. am happy with the results and parts have not failed but am not anywhere near the standard of the pro guys.

I cant get away from ridges/lines left from the application of the finishing tape and end up sanding to get properly smooth.
one problem I have had is that the resin starts to harden with age and I have to buy new.

Great point on the stabilised cloth, will have to have a look into that, the strands do my nut in !

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have ordered a kit, the topkits it will be for are as and when required kits,
Will give it a go, nothing ventured nothing gained, it will be cheaper than sending off to get them done.

Nicky Dodds

Sources please Nicky.
A mate gets me the resin and catalyst but the tape and the stabilized cloth come from a place called easy composites. The cloth comes lightly sprayed with some sort of compound that holds it together better and helps cut tighter edges. You still have to be careful with the brush but it's a lot better. One other thing is it's slightly stiffer so when you're laying the first edge down onto the tack coat it may naturally want to lift as you progress round the section. It's worth the extra care needed though. Also if you wrap really tightly on a female joint reinforcement it squeezes more resin out and on unwrapping you can achieve that textured finish that some pole sections have.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'd describe them as acceptable
And I would describe them as bloody brilliant. You are very good at it young man. I’ll show you how good you are ... pass me some cloth, resin and your Nemesis. Go on I dare ya 🤣🤣. You’ll need motorcycle gauntlets to use your pole when I’ve done. 🤣🤣

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've used a couple and bought extra bits. am happy with the results and parts have not failed but am not anywhere near the standard of the pro guys.

I cant get away from ridges/lines left from the application of the finishing tape and end up sanding to get properly smooth.
one problem I have had is that the resin starts to harden with age and I have to buy new.

Great point on the stabilised cloth, will have to have a look into that, the strands do my nut in !
I've used one to strengthen topkits for pullas and also did a few repairs and the kit is good imho. As above though no matter how I tried I could not get around the ridges. Put the cellophane overwrap on butted up and I got ridges where the resin came out of the joint. Overlap the cellophane and get ridges like micro steps where one layer met the next.
I suppose a bigger cellophane band might do it but you'd still get oozing out at either end.

Nicky Dodds

I've used one to strengthen topkits for pullas and also did a few repairs and the kit is good imho. As above though no matter how I tried I could not get around the ridges. Put the cellophane overwrap on butted up and I got ridges where the resin came out of the joint. Overlap the cellophane and get ridges like micro steps where one layer met the next.
I suppose a bigger cellophane band might do it but you'd still get oozing out at either end.
I think a wider tape might somewhat prevent or at least make it harder to wrap. The narrow tape helps push excess resin inwards under pressure and forcing any air bubbles out. Wider tape would mean you'd end up trying to push a higher volume of resin in front of you as you wrap, in turn making it harder as there would be less escape routes for the resin. The carbon mods kit uses a heat shrink tape and I don't think you'd eradicate ridges totally when doing the spiral overlap. Best case scenario I would have thought would be a continuous spiral ridge the thickness of the tape. All my old garbolino sections have a spiral single line anyway so it doesn't bother me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This is a pole section I bought already repaired for a Maver pole. Cast your experienced eyes over it and see what you think. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• CE6764E2-D0B8-4881-9725-8CE2D7331AD4.png
    CE6764E2-D0B8-4881-9725-8CE2D7331AD4.png
    989.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DF1AD8F2-3F3B-4B33-9FDC-1CA80AB028B6.jpg
    DF1AD8F2-3F3B-4B33-9FDC-1CA80AB028B6.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 42