Erewash & Beeston Canals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selfey

I am based in Southampton and our national this year is on the Erewash and Beeston canals. As we have no info on these canals I would be greatfull if anyone could put us on the right tracks.
Many thanks
Dave Selficon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gif

angler-mark

Hi Dave, I've not fished Beeston but I have fished the Erewash canal and at the moment it's fishing well, Bream to 4lbs and the odd Carp to double figures, plenty of Roach and Perch as well. Pike are also about and even take worm. Chopped worm and caster seem to attract fish just about everywhere,with worm on the hook also maggot does pretty well for roach and perch. Bread flake for Chub does well.

Good Luck

Tight Lines

Mark

Edited by - angler-mark on 30 July 2002 12:02:05 AM

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Hi

I have fished the Erewash many times in Sandiacre / Long Eaton.
I would proabably desribe it as a typical Canal venue - nothing remarkable about techniques / baits.
The odd Carp / Chub showing to pole far side with caster. Close in Squatt and Pinkie for 'weight down' gidgeon rigs...
Dont feed the crumb too much..Ive killed it a couple of times by being at bit heavy with g/bait
Dont ignore down middle - Decent Roach/ Skimmers to be had

Hope this helps

Nico

Selfey

Thanks for the info
How wide is the canal and what are the depths? are both the canals the same and is there any tow if so what size rigs etc would you recommend.
cheers Dave Self

darryl

beeston canel is 3ft near and far self with a 5 ft center this responds to bloodworm and joker for roach and skimmers with casters scoreing the better stamp the canel is between 11/13 meters across.if you draw behind boot`s factory there is a warm out flow where some big chub hold up 3/4lb.the erewash canel at cotmaney is home to some big carp 20lb+ and large chub 5lb+ plenty of gudgeon ,stanton gate is home to large shool`s of chub and roach with a scattering of carp,sandiacre is patchy but do`es hold some good bream and long eaton is nico12 and angler-mark has said

Selfey

Cheers lads
Anyone with more info we would love to hear from you
Its hard to set out your stool when you are going to a new venue for the first time, even more so when eleven other anglers are asking you what they have to do!!!!!!!
Thanks again.

dbarri

Is bloodworm and joker to be allowed for your national? Both canals have sections which allow its use on certain sections and at certain times of the year. I'm afraid I can't help you with any advice in using this bait, but can provide other useful information.

The two canals are very different.

Erewash canal is very typical in that it tows when locks are opened, but is still at other times. Width varies from 9m to 14m, with 11-12m average. Much of the Erewash has lilies (candocks) growing in the margins (near and far banks). I am only familiar with this canal from Sandiacre to its confluence with the Trent at Trent Lock. Certain sections hold good fish. Dockholme - below the lock down to as far as gardens back onto the canal there are some quality chub - 4lb+ - but they will take some tempting in the match. If they cannot be caught in 'open' water, try using crunching gear and put a bait BEHIND the far bank candocks tight up to the bank and hit 'n' haul. The section near Trent Lock is also reknowned for bigger fish, but lilies and other snags will mean that you must go for them. If you have a feature, fish to it. The stretch alongside Tamworth road in Long Eaton is a tough one, so target small fish from the outset to give you a head start.

Small fish will be more reliable. Tackle these with fine gear (0.05/0.06 hooklengths and 26 hooks). Lack of flow means that float sizes between 4*8 and 4*12 will be most suitable. The canal is shallow. If bloodworm is not allowed, try squatt, pinkie and breadpunch. Chub can be taken on bronze maggots, casters or big baits. If on a feature peg after big fish, ship some hemp in!

I will comment on the 'Beeston' canal soon (typing does my head in!). If you want any more information in the meantime, e-mail me.

dbarri

Sorry. More of an angler than a computer bod. email is DAVE@barringham.fsnet.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.