Equipment advice sought for different styles/setups

FadingLikeDecay

Hi all,

apologies for the wall of text.... 🙈

I think it’s been 20 years since I last went fishing and for some reason the last week, I suddenly had a very strong urge to get back into it :oops:. I had intended to go fishing with my brother before I got married in 2007 and I had picked up a new rod especially for that occasion. However, we never went and it's remained within its bag in my attic ever since. It’s a Mitchell Star Feeder 330 and tbh I know nothing about the rod other than its 3.3m long (just under 11" I think), has no test curve info, mentions 8lb line max and has 2 quiver tips (fully white & neon yellow) but nothing written to identify the differences between them. I can't recall why I bought a feeder rod as I've always float-fished or ledgered, but I've never used a feeder and have no urge to do so now either. Does anybody know if the rod is any good as I can't find anything about it online? I also wasn't sure if it would be suitable for float-fishing with compared to a specifically branded float rod but I'm assuming it’s not (based on various online threads & discussion with a local tackle shop) but please let me know if you disagree!

I'm needing to get new gear but I'm feeling completely out my depth as I have little knowledge of current equipment (brands/reels/rod types etc...) so I'm badly in need of some guidance for 2 types of setups that I have in mind:

Initially I'm intending to fish my local canal (Union Canal, west of Edinburgh) mainly for Perch & Pike although I believe it also holds Roach/Rudd/Tench/Eels/Brown Trout. During the last few days, I've been watching many YouTube videos on Perch & Pike fishing in canals and discovered Drop-shotting and Jigging. Of those 2 methods, Jigging seems more viable as the Union Canal doesn't have many 'features' along its length (walls/locks etc...) where I'm led to believe that drop-shotting is best suited. I'm also keen to try different types of lures (frogs look especially fun) however the one thing that I have noticed in these videos is the common use of very light setups and also that the modern rods demonstrated have a section of the rod blank visible between the butt and reel; I'm not keen on that look and prefer a full cork/EVA foam handle. I'm looking for advise/recommendations on a rod and reel that could be used not only for jigging but for also spinners/plugs/frogs etc.... The rod won't be limited to only the canal as there are also local quarries and coarse fisheries which allow longer casting. I do like the look of the baitcaster reels but unsure how to tell a good one from a bad one so any help would be appreciated.

I also would like to get myself a good float rod for using Worms/Maggots/Sweetcorn/Bread flake for Roach/Perch etc... but the idea of trying out dead-baits for pike (either with or without a float) is something I'd also like to try. I'm not sure if there are any rods suited to both float-fishing & ledgering, a size range from small perch/roach up to a decent sized pike or, if I need something different for Pike? Additionally, I've also got a strong urge for a centrepin reel for this rod. I know they are best suited for trotting and of course the canal has very little flow, but I have read they can be used in Stillwater’s and also for pike. I've looked into modern pins, and it seems the Okuma Sheffield is highly recommended but only for trotting so that seems unsuitable. Of the vintage reels, the WR Products Speedia was one I saw recommended and I do like the look of the wide version. Are there any other pins that I should also consider?

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'll start with my ideas.

It's a Mitchell rod and thus should be of good quality. I would have thought it will handle deadbaiting. Unless your canal contains pike that regularly exceed 15 to 20 pound then you should be okay.

Given the potential limitations you can use most rods for other than their stated purpose. Though for silvers I would be using less than the max BS stated on the rod.

And reels, everyone used to use a centrepin before fixed spools were invented.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Is there no one up in West Lothian that can give this chap a helping hand ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'll start with my ideas.

It's a Mitchell rod and thus should be of good quality. I would have thought it will handle deadbaiting. Unless your canal contains pike that regularly exceed 15 to 20 pound then you should be okay.

Given the potential limitations you can use most rods for other than their stated purpose. Though for silvers I would be using less than the max BS stated on the rod.

You good Neil ? 👍

FadingLikeDecay

Hi Neil, thanks for replying
It's a Mitchell rod and thus should be of good quality. I would have thought it will handle deadbaiting.
When I spoke to a guy at one of my local tackle shops, he mentioned that it might not be the best rod for float fishing due to the smaller rings/guides on the quiver tips & mid section. I've no idea if their smaller size would be a limiting factor ( I assume he meant for casting with lower weighted tackle compared to a loaded feeder), or if he was just misinformed. The other thing from holding the rod is that it feels very 'flimsy' for want of a better word. I'm not sure if its because other rods I've owed in the past were stiffer but I've not seen a branded float rod up close to compare it. I guess what's in the back of my mind is, instead of a float road, would I be better going for an Avon road (which I believe is fine for both float fishing and ledgering)?

Unless your canal contains pike that regularly exceed 15 to 20 pound then you should be okay.
Tbh I have no idea what size the canal holds on average, I know it does hold jacks and I have found at least one video of a nice sized pike being caught there but I haven't a clue if it contains any big doubles.
There are plenty of local waters which do contain specimen pike in the 20lb region but I'm not planning on going after them any time soon but if I was, I'd look into a heavier duty pike rod.

Indeed though from what I've read, some perform better specific types of fishing than others. I'm just trying understand which reels which are good at stillwater float fishing and ledgering and for catching pike.

diviy

Site Supporter
If I was in your position I would get a waggler rod there are loads on offer .
If you going to do a lot of canal fishing think about getting a canal stool pm me your tel number and I will see what bits your after and should be able to sort some kit out for you
Gerry