EOS 80D Digital SLR

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
My Daughter is a keen photographer / video maker. She is currently using a Canon Powershot G7X that I bought her for Christmas 2015. She want's to upgrade to a EOS 80D Digital SLR and is hinting at a secondhand body only one from Jessops.

Now my thoughts are, is it not better to get a refurbished camera rather than a secondhand one ? The question is does anyone know of a retailer/outlet that sells refurb cameras and is likely to have one ?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
have a look at MPB mate, i've bought a fair bit of stuff from them including stuff for my daughter whilst she was studying for her photography degree.

They give honest descriptions about there stuff along with photos of the actual item.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cameraworld also do used secondhand and refurbed camera bodies

davylad

Site Supporter
You will usually pay more going down that route, as the shop will obviously need to make a profit. An 80D is a very good camera body, and there's plenty about, as a lot of enthusiasts upgrade regularly. You should get an absolute belter for around £350, with very low activations. That's the way I'd go anyway.

carphauler

Roachhauler
Wex photography are normally good, if using Jessops always get them to price match if you can.
I would imagine a secondhand body will have been checked over properly so should be as good as a new one in theory.
Also check lens compatibility for future upgrades as some lenses do not cross fit, I'm not sure exactly as the wife is the photographer but I'm sure the full frame bodies have a different fitment, ef, efs, efm, etc.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
You will usually pay more going down that route, as the shop will obviously need to make a profit. An 80D is a very good camera body, and there's plenty about, as a lot of enthusiasts upgrade regularly. You should get an absolute belter for around £350, with very low activations. That's the way I'd go anyway.
Shops charge as much as they can because they have overheads, normally service the item and they also give a guarantee!

This one has had just 33 activations so it's still brand new as such.. fair enough it's just under £600 but still a bargain and comes with gaurantee.

davylad

Site Supporter
On most Canon EOS bodies, they're good for well over 100,000 shutter activations, and unless you're a busy pro, that's a hell of a lot. I've sold (and bought) from sites such as camera forums and eBay, without any issues, as long as you do your homework. You don't get dust on the sensor as much as you used to, due to better sealing etc than in the early days of digital.

The 80D has a totally different sensor to full frame bodies, I prefer full frame myself, but there are a few advantages that APS-C sensors have depending on what your interests are. It goes on and on. If you intend being a Pro at some stage, you really might be better off with both.
One myth to think about, is how many pixels? I have an as new 20D with about 9,000 on the clock, I think it's rated as having around 8500 pixels on it's sensor, and it's probably as good a camera in many ways as I've ever had. (end results) Mind you it's been wrapped in cotton wool and stuck in a drawer for years now, as I hardly do many jobs these days. All this 20 or 30 thousand pixels doesn't mean a thing, unless you're blowing them up to really massive sizes and still want the sharpness.

roachy

Another very good option is to go grey market (imported)
One of the best shops is digitalrev (hong kong based but reputable worldwide, you will save a few hundred new mate, still warrantee'd etc.
The 80d is 566 pounds on there, another option she could think about is going mirrorless, much smaller and lighter but results are just as good if not better due to newer tech.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for the replies and apologies I haven't responded sooner for some reason I thought I would receive notifications that the thread had received some responses, but nothing showed up. I am guessing I should have followed it.

Will pass on your suggestions, thanks again for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

davylad

Site Supporter
roachy has a good point there regarding mirrorless, especially if she does a fair bit of video work. Don't forget though scribe, it's far better to get a quality lens and a decent body, rather than a top body and a cheap lens.