Environment Agency and Angling Trust welcome lifting of restrictions on recreational fishing

Press release
Environment Agency and Angling Trust welcome lifting of restrictions on recreational fishing

You can now fish on your own, with your household, or with one other person while adhering to social distancing rules and staying two metres apart at all times.

Published 13 May 2020

s300_Fishing_alone.jpg
Restrictions on angling in England are eased from today (Wednesday 13th May) following updated government guidance on outdoor activities.
The news has been welcomed by both the Environment Agency and Angling Trust. The Trust recently put forward its ‘When We Fish Again’ report to the government, encouraging a phased return to the sport and highlighting the significant benefits fishing offers to both personal well-being and the economy.
Under the new government guidelines, people can fish on their own, with their household, or with one other person while adhering to social distancing rules and staying two metres apart at all times.

Outside members of your own household, people should remain two metres apart from other anglers or members of the public at all times. The most up-to-date information on these restrictions can be found at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.

The Angling Trust already advises anglers to fish no closer than 15 metres and that matches and organised angling events are still not permissible.
Anglers must also ensure they are in possession of a valid fishing licence, adhere to fisheries byelaws including the close season and have permission of the fishery owner.
Dr Graeme Storey, Environment Agency Acting Deputy Director for Fisheries and the Natural Environment, said:
We welcome the lifting of restrictions on recreational fishing. This decision recognises that fishing can be done safely while still adhering to social distancing guidelines. However, it is vital that when we do go fishing, we all do so responsibly and safely in order to continue playing our own part in protecting ourselves, others and key public services.
In these challenging times responsible fishing provides a wonderful opportunity to connect with nature and feel the range of benefits doing so can bring. If you are going fishing then you must have a valid fishing licence and adhere to fishing byelaws and fishery rules.
Angling Trust Chief Executive Jamie Cook said:
The Angling Trust have brought all disciplines of angling together in presenting a blueprint for the safe resumption of recreational fishing which has led the way for the sporting sector. Fishing delivers huge benefits to physical health, mental wellbeing, active lifestyles and our economy. Angling has shown the value of coming together as a community to speak coherently and professionally at the highest level with a single voice. I thank anglers for their patience and ask that we follow the Angling Trust guidance which is there to protect us all.
The Angling Trust have issued additional helpful advice to individuals and angling organisations which can be found on thier online hub.
Notes to editors:
  • If you are in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you must adhere to the guidance and regulations set by the Scottish and Welsh governments or Northern Ireland Executive at all times.
  • To date, the Environment Agency have paused the majority of non-essential fisheries activity including improving habitats for fish, facilities for anglers and stocking in line with government guidelines. Proactive operational activity will be restarted as soon as possible, also in line with those guidelines.
  • The Environment Agency will continue to prioritise responding to reported incidents of serious harm to the environment, subject to local conditions. The Agency is also liaising with police regarding illegal fishing incidents. The police have powers to deal with people breaking coronavirus rules and are able to achieve outcomes beneficial to public health and fisheries legislation.
  • Illegal fishing, pollution and incidents harming the environment should be reported to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60. Significant issues or serious breaches of the coronavirus restrictions should be reported to the police on 101 or the local police website.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just to add to that @Dave, bailiffs can (till further notice) ask anglers to show a valid rod licence.

Bailiffs have the right to turn anglers away or ask them to leave the fishery if the angler(s) cannot, or do not, provide evidence of a valid rod licence.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Just to add to that @Dave, bailiffs can (till further notice) ask anglers to show a valid rod licence.

Bailiffs have the right to turn anglers away or ask them to leave the fishery if the angler(s) cannot, or do not, provide evidence of a valid rod licence.
On that note, I renewed mine last week but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you as a bailiff, accept the email confirmation on somebody's phone?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
On that note, I renewed mine last week but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you as a bailiff, accept the email confirmation on somebody's phone?

As long as the details match up, then yes, no choice really. You could print the email off and take it with you just in case EA are around. When I renew mine, I get a confirmation email and that covers me till the licence arrives. You should also carry some other form of ID just to show it matches with the email/letter etc.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Does a big bottle of brown sauce sway any decisions a bailiff may make Peter ? ??

The Landlord

Site Supporter
As long as the details match up, then yes, no choice really. You could print the email off and take it with you just in case EA are around. When I renew mine, I get a confirmation email and that covers me till the licence arrives. You should also carry some other form of ID just to show it matches with the email/letter etc.
Cheers for that. Our club membership cards carry our photo anyway so I'll be ok on club waters. I never take my wallet fishing but I keep my membership card & licence in the drawers of my box.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Only if it comes with a 1lb pork pie. :ROFLMAO:
Mmmmmmm .... A 1lb pork pie but, a small bottle of brown sauce OR .... A 1lb pork pie and a big bottle of sauce but you have to cut me and Sly a piece. Hows that ? ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm .... A 1lb pork pie but, a small bottle of brown sauce OR .... A 1lb pork pie and a big bottle of sauce but you have to cut me and Sly a piece. Hows that ? ?

Hmmm..we'll discuss it when I'm fishing one of your clubs waters. :LOL:

Fierbois16

Quick newbie question RE river fishing. As i understand it rivers are closed till 15th June, a chap at work has said its ok to fish for pike on the river? I thought closed meant closed.
So can you fish for pike on rivers now and if so is it OK to do so in terms of fish care / welfare?
Thanks in advance
Hope ok to post here, didn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread

Flathead

Site Supporter
Quick newbie question RE river fishing. As i understand it rivers are closed till 15th June, a chap at work has said its ok to fish for pike on the river? I thought closed meant closed.
So can you fish for pike on rivers now and if so is it OK to do so in terms of fish care / welfare?
Thanks in advance
Hope ok to post here, didn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread
The rivers are closed for ALL coarse fishing until 16th June

Eel fishing is allowed in many areas although Eels are also protected now.

grey

Site Supporter

They have the right to ask, but unless it's an EA bailiff, they don't have the right to demand seeing your licence any more than they do demand seeing your driving licence.

Your licence is an official government document - anyone who thinks they have the right to view it with their MS Word made, epson printed, laminated 'official' looking document with their picture pritsticked on to it, must be living in a delusional world of power and fantasy.

Beware those who jump on new powers to exercise their own.