Enjoyable morning in the rain

tincatim

Site Supporter
I nearly didn’t go today. The forecast last night said heavy rain and 40mph winds, not really my idea of fun. Up at 5.30 this morning and the conditions weren’t so bad, light rain and a breeze. So off I went to the river to use up my leftover maggots, and catch one last fish from the river before 15th March.

I opted for the Earth Centre stretch of the River Don, it’s close to home and I’ve not fished it for years. The approach was cage feeder with Sensas 3000 River, a few 2mm halibut pellets, red maggot or worm on the hook. Hopeful of some bream. A lot of the pegs look similar on this stretch, the pegs I fancied were a bit too far to walk with all my tackle, especially in the mud.
So I opted for this one:
526806BF-156E-4837-A4CF-42049593F4B9.jpeg

I set up a 30g cage feeder, 8lb mainline with a 4ft, 6lb hooklength to a size 14 B911. Possibly a bit too heavy but I wasn’t sure what I’d catch. There are some big carp and bream about, and I didn’t want to lose a potential monster. Set up for 9am and a quick cup of coffee, I was ready.

I didn’t need to clip up, and managed to find an easy chuck to about 3/4 of the way across. It felt about 8ft deep there as I felt the feeder down. Payed out a bow and settled in to my rhythm. I started off casting every seven minutes, to try and get a bed of bait down. I fished two or three maggots on the hook and got bites pretty much every cast. The only trouble was hitting them, most were just little taps and rattles. I’d strike and find the maggots smashed, or sometimes still in tact. The rig was simple, gripper stop above the feeder, feeder bead with snap swivel, twizzeled boom and loop to loop hooklength. I played about with the gripper stop, anything from 15cm to 2cm, the fish weren’t hooking themselves on the shorter length. I reduced my hooklength to 3ft and 2ft. Still found it hard to hit bites. Would I have been better with lighter lines and a smaller hook?

It wasn’t all missed bites though, I did hit some! Ended up with five roach, two chublets and three bream of around 3lb enough to put a welcome bend in the rod.
B4332253-2D87-4ECA-84A3-C8766D85899E.jpeg
44A2C271-E6D7-49DD-AC66-E240855CC1D3.jpeg
8F7C8F03-3181-4F9C-AE2F-8D8EF7442973.jpeg The rain was nowhere near as bad as they said. I packed up at 1pm as it started coming down again, and the dendrobenas were escaping from their tub.
Happy that I got out and caught something, but a little annoyed at the amount of missed bites.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice one fella. Great report and pics. Well done you mate. Agree with the gear you’ve used. Barbel all over the Don now. You’d have struggled using anything less if you’d hit one of those. 👍

tincatim

Site Supporter
Nice one fella. Great report and pics. Well done you mate. Agree with the gear you’ve used. Barbel all over the Don now. You’d have struggled using anything less if you’d hit one of those. 👍
That was my thinking, better safe than sorry. On reflection I’m thinking a critically balanced lighter feeder might have worked best. It’s given me some food for thought though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I suspect that is a dace

Nice to see a river report before the end of the season. They’ve been a bit thin on the ground in recent months with the rains and travel restrictions stopping people fishing them 🙁

tincatim

Site Supporter
I suspect that is a dace

Nice to see a river report before the end of the season. They’ve been a bit thin on the ground in recent months with the rains and travel restrictions stopping people fishing them 🙁
Yep, the more I look at it, the more it’s a dace. I enjoy reading other people’s reports, so I’m always happy to post my own to repay the favour.

Looking forward to June now for another crack at it.