Enjoyable day on a new venue.

Silver fan 82

So today I was up at silly o'clock in the morning and made my way down to a local drain.
I've not fished here before so didn't really know what to expect.
Bait for the day was dead reds, dendrobeana and corn. I also mixed up a load of groundbait laced with hemp, dead reds, and 2mm pellets with the aim of netting a few of the resident Bream I'd heard about.
After choosing my peg I set up the feeder rod.
The set up was my usual running cage feeder down to a twizzled boom, 0.18 hooklink and a 16 silverfish pellet hook.
Before attaching the hooklength I made 6 or 8 casts with the feeder to get some bait on the deck.
On with the hooklink and as many dead reds as I could get on it!
After 5-10 minutes the tiniest pull on the tip resulted in Bream of 3-4lb.
Second cast and the same again, a Bream of the same stamp.
This was brilliant! I thought.
However after that the bites dried up a bit so out with a few more feeder full of groundbait, worm on the hook and a few palm sized skimmers, small Perch and an Eel of about 1lb.
Strange that all of the bites were really small taps on the tip.
Eventually the bites dried up despite changing bait, hooklink length and the amount of groundbait I put in.
There were some decent silvers topping, rising for insects on the surface so I opted for the waggler.
Drennan Visi Wag, strung out shotting to the same hook pattern as on the feeder. I was fishing at around half depth on the drop with corn on the hook, feeding corn little and often as I'd run out of groundbait.
The best method of the day seemed to be 2 or 3 corn skins on the hook to achieve a really slow sinking bait.
Bites were fairly positive, catching Rudd and Roach, great fun! Don't think I could ever get bored of catching silvers shallow.
All in all a good session, I reckon I done around 20lb of silvers, mainly small stuff apart from the first 2 decent Bream.
Looking forward to the next session!
My swim for the day
The first decent Bream of the day
IMG_20210705_060650.jpg
The best Roach of the day, an old, battle scarred warrior
IMG_20210705_163005.jpg
IMG_20210705_054055.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Brilliant stuff mate been looking forward to your report since you said you were going to try it 👍🏻 nice to catch well on two such different methods in a session doesnt happen that often. Lovely looking spot as well.

Silver fan 82

Brilliant stuff mate been looking forward to your report since you said you were going to try it 👍🏻 nice to catch well on two such different methods in a session doesnt happen that often. Lovely looking spot as well.
Cheers mate!
There is alot more of the bank that I can explore yet too.

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
Sorry to be so dim but when you say local drain like a few guys on here is that another word for pit ? Lake ? Canal ? Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sorry to be so dim but when you say local drain like a few guys on here is that another word for pit ? Lake ? Canal ? Cheers
Tends to be like an offshoot or redirection of a river system for redirecting water for agricultural use and/or reducing flood risk. They tend to exist in flat parts of the county like those you often find in the east although there are also some in the West Country and up north. I would say even the river ray here almost in the middle of the country has become a system of drains these days.

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
Cheers silverfisher makes sense now i live on the wirral peninsula so not many drains round here 🙄

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like a great place, glad it went well. I'd be fishing there a lot if I had somewhere like that near me. (y)