Enjoyable Day in the Rain

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I can generally take heat pretty well when fishing, can quite happily still be in a jumper well over 20 degrees some days. When others are flagging I'm generally still up trotting, casting, tinkering or whatever. But when it gets over 30 it can get a bit dodgy to sit in for too long.
?????

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I can generally take heat pretty well when fishing, can quite happily still be in a jumper well over 20 degrees some days. When others are flagging I'm generally still up trotting, casting, tinkering or whatever. But when it gets over 30 it can get a bit dodgy to sit in for too long.
Good sun cream,good hat ,brolly maybe and a flask or 2 of cold drinks a spray bottle with cool water for cooling down quickly on those red hot days

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good sun cream,good hat ,brolly maybe and a flask or 2 of cold drinks a spray bottle with cool water for cooling down quickly on those red hot days
I've got sun cream on and lots of drinks pretty much every session from April to October nowadays after getting caught out a few times when you'd not expect it to be quite warm. It's not too bad mid summer once you've acclimatised and browned up but early on when you are all pasty and wintered you can get caught out. By the same logic I always bring an extra layer than I think I need as can always get caught out the other way in our climate ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sitting in a jumper in well over 20 degrees ??, when the rest of us are “flagging” sitting there in our shorts and a t shirt ???
Oh I see what you mean ? I did say others not the rest of you though ??

You know the type I mean, the sort we get moaning on here that they're hot when it clears about 22 degrees and those you see on the bank sat motionless under a brolly almost naked looking like they're going to pass out any minute ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
After my brolly bust yesterday, I'm definitely going to invest in one of those covered side trays. Kept getting escaping pinkies yesterday :(
If I want to use pinkies and maggots and know it's going to be wet I freeze them, or at least some. Dead ones don't escape.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
If I want to use pinkies and maggots and know it's going to be wet I freeze them, or at least some. Dead ones don't escape.
It was a bit late. I didn't know I was going to be fishing until late. Plus - my mate brought the bait & I didn't know my brolly was going to be destroyed

rudd

Site Supporter
I detest the wind.
Makes any kind of casting tricky.
Blows braid when lure fishing all over the place.
Increases chances of a broken pole, either by a gust at length or off rollers.
Catapulted pinkies come back at you!
Even had 8oz break away leads washed back up an East Anglian storm beach - mind you, casting over 12ft high breakers into the winds teeth was difficult - Why TF We were even on the beach in them conditions in the first place ?
Seen rather large branches and during one match a tree come down and destroy a drawn peg.
The angler was mere meters away making his way to peg!
And lighting any kind of smoking implements, a stove or tilly lamp ?

martin22

Site Supporter
For some reason I get perverse pleasure from fishing in the rain. I have not used an umbrella for some ten years or so. A decent suit and boots and I can be comfortable.

I decided I needed to get out yesterday and so chose to fish the donut lake on Wellingborough's Ringstead complex. I normally concentrate on the snake lake here but now we have new, numbered pegs on the donut I have decided to concentrate on that for a while and try and eventually fish every peg. The 12 peg donut started as a silvers lake but a few small carp (max 5lb) have been introduced. Among them I have discovered there are quite a few fish that look a lot like crucians apart from the colour and some have large tails. I think they are a hybrid but whether they are F1s I'm not sure. They certainly have crucian mouths and general shape.

Today I chose peg 46 and had the lake to myself all day. Not surprising given the wet forecast. But I ended the day with 23 fish including seven carp/crucian lookalikes, one true crucian, three very small skimmers and 12 roach. For me a very enjoyable day that took a while to get going but gave me a day's sport.

Quite simple fishing really, feeding micros and fishing expanders (2 & 4 mil) and corn skins. I had maggot & pinkie with me but they would have been a tricky bait on a wet day. Fishing at topkit +4 sections. Very little wind so although wet it wasn't that cold.

An enjoyable day out despite the weather.
I spent all day out in the rain yesterday on a local pond and just as you I also quite enjoyed it,I also had the full pond to my self and just fished a small feeder all day,didn’t manage a massive net though ended up with 5 skimmers and lost a 6th at the net
It was hard going but enjoyable as I had to work for those fish and felt I’d learnt from the day which made it feel more rewarding for being out in that rain

Attachments

• 2C514596-9E08-4B0B-B788-77FC6C5C27EE.jpeg
    2C514596-9E08-4B0B-B788-77FC6C5C27EE.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 10
  • F780C1D8-D3B0-47EB-BD7E-D5E696FF085C.jpeg
    F780C1D8-D3B0-47EB-BD7E-D5E696FF085C.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A015D0E4-D624-45C3-8788-C69740940574.jpeg
    A015D0E4-D624-45C3-8788-C69740940574.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 7
  • 70D75297-49DB-4CA6-97FE-E78B198D40C2.jpeg
    70D75297-49DB-4CA6-97FE-E78B198D40C2.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1333BCF9-9E7C-4BEB-A0F8-9CFE74867769.jpeg
    1333BCF9-9E7C-4BEB-A0F8-9CFE74867769.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 7465EF1C-6C14-4E8A-BAED-B879466546A4.jpeg
    7465EF1C-6C14-4E8A-BAED-B879466546A4.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
No good if the fish want live baits such as winter fishing for F1,s, better off using a bait/side tray cover

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Or use the boxes with a little hatch in the lid. Much harder for them to get out of those and not as much rain gets in them in the first place ??

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Or use the boxes with a little hatch in the lid. Much harder for them to get out of those and not as much rain gets in them in the first place ??
They still get wet and then they start to float ?‍♂️I like my bait to stay dry in the rain, not get all soaked and ruined

stikflote

Site Supporter
If its raining. i dont go , it do agree its hard using a pole when under a umbrella

nejohn

Site Supporter
They still get wet and then they start to float ?‍♂️I like my bait to stay dry in the rain, not get all soaked and ruined
That is why I often set a brolly up slightly back and to the side, so it can keep all of my bait and kit dry, plus if I do want to get out of the rain for a hot drink and a sarnie I can retreat under the brolly. A good tip though is to put a couple of plastic carrier bags in your carryall then if you do get caught out in a shower you can always put your open maggot boxes in the carrier bags, with the open end towards you, keeps them dry even when the wind is blowing towards them and they are still easily accessible, not ideal but it is a means to an end when needs must.
Personally I find the covered side trays too big as I prefer to have 2 smaller trays, one each side, just something I have always done, bait to my right everything else to my left.....works for me

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I keep the hatch down but not closed so can just flip it open and shut as and when I get bait out, very little water gets in that way. Would be a bit of pain to do for any length of time although I try to avoid to avoid fishing on days of hours of rain so it's doable for the odd shower.