Enjoyable Day in the Rain

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
For some reason I get perverse pleasure from fishing in the rain. I have not used an umbrella for some ten years or so. A decent suit and boots and I can be comfortable.

I decided I needed to get out yesterday and so chose to fish the donut lake on Wellingborough's Ringstead complex. I normally concentrate on the snake lake here but now we have new, numbered pegs on the donut I have decided to concentrate on that for a while and try and eventually fish every peg. The 12 peg donut started as a silvers lake but a few small carp (max 5lb) have been introduced. Among them I have discovered there are quite a few fish that look a lot like crucians apart from the colour and some have large tails. I think they are a hybrid but whether they are F1s I'm not sure. They certainly have crucian mouths and general shape.

Today I chose peg 46 and had the lake to myself all day. Not surprising given the wet forecast. But I ended the day with 23 fish including seven carp/crucian lookalikes, one true crucian, three very small skimmers and 12 roach. For me a very enjoyable day that took a while to get going but gave me a day's sport.

Quite simple fishing really, feeding micros and fishing expanders (2 & 4 mil) and corn skins. I had maggot & pinkie with me but they would have been a tricky bait on a wet day. Fishing at topkit +4 sections. Very little wind so although wet it wasn't that cold.

An enjoyable day out despite the weather.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
For some reason I get perverse pleasure from fishing in the rain. I have not used an umbrella for some ten years or so. A decent suit and boots and I can be comfortable.

I decided I needed to get out yesterday and so chose to fish the donut lake on Wellingborough's Ringstead complex. I normally concentrate on the snake lake here but now we have new, numbered pegs on the donut I have decided to concentrate on that for a while and try and eventually fish every peg. The 12 peg donut started as a silvers lake but a few small carp (max 5lb) have been introduced. Among them I have discovered there are quite a few fish that look a lot like crucians apart from the colour and some have large tails. I think they are a hybrid but whether they are F1s I'm not sure. They certainly have crucian mouths and general shape.

Today I chose peg 46 and had the lake to myself all day. Not surprising given the wet forecast. But I ended the day with 23 fish including seven carp/crucian lookalikes, one true crucian, three very small skimmers and 12 roach. For me a very enjoyable day that took a while to get going but gave me a day's sport.

Quite simple fishing really, feeding micros and fishing expanders (2 & 4 mil) and corn skins. I had maggot & pinkie with me but they would have been a tricky bait on a wet day. Fishing at topkit +4 sections. Very little wind so although wet it wasn't that cold.

Hats off to you a true fisherman. Haven’t been on the water for a couple of weeks, due to the bad weather. I should really stop wimping about and get back into the swing of things.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I love fishing in the rain too - but then I am Welsh and that’s all we knew growing up - the fact it keeps the banks empty is a big bonus and I’ve always thought it makes the fish a little less cautious too.

Sounds like you had a lovely session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t mind fishing in light rain when it’s coming downwards but heavy sideways stuff like yesterday and this morning is a no go for me! You’re either brave or mad ?

chris1967

Site Supporter

you made of harder stuff than me ,i had thermals t shirt ,thick preston sweat shirt ,hoodie,preston body warmer ,preston lined fleece daiwa goretex and couldnt hack it . Had to pack up even my feet through the skeetex moon boots were cold

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
I cannot fish with a umbrella, just gets in the way and like you i am more than happy with a decent set of clothing, only i add to the norm is a neck snood though, makes such a difference and happily say in the rain all day yesterday

wind for me, i hate fishing in the wind

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't mind the rain as long as you are sorted with waterproofs or a good umbrella which ever you choose is down to personal choice, not so keen when I get caught out without any protection as there is nothing worse than sitting in cold wet clothing, but now I always have at least a set of lightweight packable waterproofs in my carryall. Like others I although I don't mind the rain, when it starts to come down sideways is when I start to think it is time to go home

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Good waterproofs over a brolly every time for me as I’ve had too many battles with them. I do like the fact that my side tray came with a dinky frame/cover to keep the worst off the bait boxes though, a neat idea.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
wind for me, i hate fishing in the wind
Yep wind is the worst. I hate anything over 10mph unless it's off my back, maybe upstream if it's only slightly over 10mph. Any stronger than that in any direction is both uncomfortable and awkward. About 14-15mph is about the cut off where I just won't go.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yep wind is the worst. I hate anything over 10mph unless it's off my back, maybe upstream if it's only slightly over 10mph. Any stronger than that in any direction is both uncomfortable and awkward. About 14-15mph is about the cut off where I just won't go.
I’m surprised you ever go fishing -too hot if it’s over 20 degrees , too cold if it’s under 10 degrees, too windy if it’s over 10mph, too wet if the rain is coming at an angle ??????

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m surprised you ever go fishing -too hot if it’s over 20 degrees , too cold if it’s under 10 degrees, too windy if it’s over 10mph, too wet if the rain is coming at an angle ??????
I like it over 20 degrees, infact I wish it never dropper under 20! It's when it's up around 30 it can get a bit unpleasant.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Nice report Neil ,sounds like a nice day you had . I will fish in the rain but prefer to get set up first ,i like to put a brolly up if not very windy but as soon as im set up i take it down if fishing with rods or its too windy .

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Quite like sitting under a brolly, own little world.
I find it relaxing under a brolly with a steady pitter patter ,its just usually the bloody wind blows a hooly just as your settled . It is nice just pole fishing if you get it set up well

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You need a mankini, Wise will sort you out with matching crocks
I can generally take heat pretty well when fishing, can quite happily still be in a jumper well over 20 degrees some days. When others are flagging I'm generally still up trotting, casting, tinkering or whatever. But when it gets over 30 it can get a bit dodgy to sit in for too long.