English players getting a start in the premier league

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I heard a bit of news on Saturday concerning the amount of English players in the premiership.... apparently there were 44 English players on the pitch out of the whole of the premier league... 4 teams worth out of 20

How is England supposed to pick a world class team out of a pool so small... do you guys not feel that it's time to limit the number of foreign players a team may field per match, as they do in cricket, to promote a strong England squad...???

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Of course they should limit the number but even when they did limit it to two foreign players on the pitch at any one time we didn't win anything.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
We didn't but I would say we do have a better crop of more skillful players over the pitch to choose from now, but still need a Gazza

lp1886

Site Supporter
Of course they should limit the number but even when they did limit it to two foreign players on the pitch at any one time we didn't win anything.
That’s always been my theory as well. We went nearly 30 years from winning the World Cup to the start of the premier league and with it the mass influx of foreign players. Having a league full of British talent will not see us perform any better on the international stage.

MOGZ

Money talks

the draw of the premier league is nothing more than commercial revenue, unfortunately it demands instant success so giving people the opportunity will be limited

if you went and had a wander around the training grounds the problem of English players is even more evident, not a great deal of 'home grown talent' in the various age groups