England Veterans take gold in World Championships !

Angling Trust

RSS Feed
VETERANS 2021 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ENGLANDS VETERAN’S TAKE TEAM GOLD
MARK DOWNES TAKES INDIVIDUAL GOLD
ROGER MARLOW TAKES INDIVIDUAL SILVER
8414DE9C-E2A7-4046-824C-B4A3B4312677.jpg

Mark Downes on the Podium with the World Championship Trophy and the Individual gold medal. To the left is Roger Marlow with his silver medal and to the right is 3rd placed Zagorcic Petar of Serbia

With an outstanding performance on day 2 of just 7 penalty points, England leap-frogged the other teams in contention to take an incredible Team Gold with 25 points on the River Sava, Slovenia. The team had two sections wins (Steve Sanders and Mark Downes) a second (Bob Nudd) and a 3rd (Roger Marlow). France were second overall on 30 points, with overnight leaders Hungary dropping to bronze with 37 points.
England’s Mark Downes section win with 6.694kg left him on a total of just 3 penalty points, giving him Individual Gold. Roger Marlow took Individual Silver, an agonising 68g away from the second in section that would have seem him pip Mark to the title on weight.
9C570AB2-B9E9-4810-B876-B9825413125A.jpg

A massive congratulations to the whole Team and Management on a fantastic performance, and to Mark and Roger on their individual medals.
The Team comprised of:
Dickie Carr (Manager and Captain)
Kevin Folwell
Mark Downes
Roger Marlow
Steve Sanders
Bob Nudd
Alan Tunney
4E57F469-9C47-48C4-AF7F-D29E3654A8CD-1024x549.jpg

The Veterans Team, pictured here with the Masters Team who were competing out in Slovenia at the same time and after a difficult start managed a top 10 finish.
vets-1024x724.png

vetsind-724x1024.jpg

The post England Veterans take gold in World Championships ! appeared first on Angling Trust.

Continue reading...

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Because a good young'un will beat a good old'un in every sport under the sun. So why not offer the old'uns a separate event?

You wouldn't expect a team of Over 60s to take on Manchester City's Premier League team. One has to accept that there's a difference (about 40 years!!). ;););)

Tenacious Sloth

Yebbut… football has a physical aspect which is totally missing from fishing.

In fact, to call fishing a sport is a bit of a stretch.

More of a hobby or pastime like snooker and darts.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Why do you need a veterans category in fishing?

It’s not exactly a high intensity activity.
Why do you need a personalised number plate or soft closing kitchen drawers? Do you only ever buy what you need and never something that you just want? The people that make the decisions have decided to create these extra events, so what?

The world would be a dull place if we only did what we needed to do, bought what we needed and ate only what was needed to survive.

Tenacious Sloth

Why do you need a personalised number plate or soft closing kitchen drawers? Do you only ever buy what you need and never something that you just want? The people that make the decisions have decided to create these extra events, so what?

The world would be a dull place if we only did what we needed to do, bought what we needed and ate only what was needed to survive.
Fair enough.

I‘ll wait with bated breath for the inaugural Ginger Haired Coarse Fishing World Championship, or People Under 5’ 9” Tall Coarse Fishing World Championship.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Fair enough.

I‘ll wait with bated breath for the inaugural Ginger Haired Coarse Fishing World Championship, or People Under 5’ 9” Tall Coarse Fishing World Championship.
Perhaps we need a "Sleep in a deckchair and get woken by the bite alarm" championships for the really ancient (or lazy).

But, in my experience, if you take your match fishing seriously then it can be a very tiring sport. Wielding 16m of pole all day and keeping your concentration for five or six hours will leave you ready for bed come the evening. And it doesn't get easier as you get older. Which is one reason I rarely fish beyond 10m with a pole.

spooky1966

Site Supporter
Neil that is spot on Just are not able to throw a 16 meter pole around like we used to do. It’s hard work when you get over 60 😥
Annoying when someone make a comment when they have not experience or competed in the day

Perhaps we need a "Sleep in a deckchair and get woken by the bite alarm" championships for the really ancient (or lazy).

But, in my experience, if you take your match fishing seriously then it can be a very tiring sport. Wielding 16m of pole all day and keeping your concentration for five or six hours will leave you ready for bed come the evening. And it doesn't get easier as you get older. Which is one reason I rarely fish beyond 10m with a pole.

spooky1966

Site Supporter
Yebbut… football has a physical aspect which is totally missing from fishing.

In fact, to call fishing a sport is a bit of a stretch.

More of a hobby or pastime like snooker and darts.
Mate have you ever tried fishing a pole at 16 metears to catch a couple of pound of fish in a competition for the team you are fishing for? Over 5 hours wether catching 200 pound or 20 pound or 20 ounces its hard work you are fishing a competition and that is competing so in my mind its a sport
dont comment on nothing you know about
t

Tenacious Sloth

Mate have you ever tried fishing a pole at 16 metears to catch a couple of pound of fish in a competition for the team you are fishing for? Over 5 hours wether catching 200 pound or 20 pound or 20 ounces its hard work you are fishing a competition and that is competing so in my mind its a sport
dont comment on nothing you know about
t
Well I do have multiple International Caps representing England in Loch Style Fly Fishing.

Eight solid hours casting a long rod with a team of four flies from a boat, often in a big wave on an Irish Lough.

So I do feel qualified to comment about competition fishing.

Don’t let that stop you going off on one though! 😬

Total

Site Supporter
Well I do have multiple International Caps representing England in Loch Style Fly Fishing.

Eight solid hours casting a long rod with a team of four flies from a boat, often in a big wave on an Irish Lough.

So I do feel qualified to comment about competition fishing.

Don’t let that stop you going off on one though! 😬
What's your golf handicap?:unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
13metre limit on poles in international competitions - just saying like ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
13metre limit on poles in international competitions - just saying like ;)
Great news. As I have beaten two of the squad in the group photo I might try and get in the team. I can pay my own way and that should give me a good start.