England Team Funding.

Who should fund England Teams when Fishing Competitions?

• The Angling Trust as Governing Body.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • The Angling Trade Association.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Self Funded by the competing Anglers.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • All Anglers via a Levy on the Rod License.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Don't care, not interested in competitive fishing.

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
How about the lottery money ..many millions spent on opera and other things the general public dont use although I love opera ..just an idea
You'd have thought they might have tried Kickstarter first like other angling projects have and been successful.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I didn't put a National Lottery Option into the poll as It is covered by The Angling Trust as Governing Body.
National Lottery funding for sport is administered by Sport England and as such they would only deal with applications from a sports governing body, in this case The Angling Trust. Therefore I would expect this avenue to already be on the Trusts agenda if it was at all viable.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I didn't put a National Lottery Option into the poll as It is covered by The Angling Trust as Governing Body.
National Lottery funding for sport is administered by Sport England and as such they would only deal with applications from a sports governing body, in this case The Angling Trust. Therefore I would expect this avenue to already be on the Trusts agenda if it was at all viable.
Sport England provide a Small Grants Fund of up to £10,000 which is open to anyone.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sport England provide a Small Grants Fund of up to £10,000 which is open to anyone.
Sport England: Small Grants programme makes awards of between £300 and £10,000 to help more people get involved in sport and physical activity. You can apply if your organisation is a voluntary or community club or organisation, registered charity, not-for-profit company or community interest company.

Doesn't apply to funding National teams taking part in International competitions.

jasonb

It does seem he Angling Trust need to be more open about what they are doing regarding funding, seems they have been caiught with there pants down

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Nothing gets a thread going like trying to take nuggets off us;):p:p:p

carphauler

Roachhauler
As far as I'm concerned, it should be funded by the people that make the most profit out of anglers so I voted for tackle manufacturers.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If they added to the rod licence then we should be allowed to opt in or out...i'd opt out, make the advertisers and sponsors pay for it... they get plenty of coverage especially when you have some guy sat with his back to the crowd and all you can see is a preston suit, on a preston seatbox, with preston luggage etc etc... they make enough profit from their stuff when they get it made in the same factory that makes the good copies from China!!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Sport England: Small Grants programme makes awards of between £300 and £10,000 to help more people get involved in sport and physical activity. You can apply if your organisation is a voluntary or community club or organisation, registered charity, not-for-profit company or community interest company.

Doesn't apply to funding National teams taking part in International competitions.
And that was my point. Why should Lottery funding administered through UK Sport be restricted to Olympic disciplines? Surely we should be supporting all international teams from all sports. The current system means that sports with a lot less participants than angling get funding. It is therefore logical to presume that many more anglers than, say, archers buy Lottery tickets and thus contribute more to the fund that then gets spent on minority sports. So it seems we are happy to support other sports but not our own.

Referring to other replies. The Angling Trust already apply for and receive grants from Sport England. But these grants are in order to promote the sport at grass roots level, not to fund the international teams. I have always found the AT to be completely open and willing to enter into a discussion on matters raised. I have been critical in the past and have received an invitation from the them chief executive to email him directly with any concerns or comments. Members of course can attend the AGM, even stand for a board position if they wish. Concerns, questions and complaints can be raised At the AGM.

Using emotive words like calling people parasites and not actually being prepared to identify who warrants that description, saying that paying a pound a year would bleed you dry may sound good but add nothing to the discussion.

It has long been the case that Fish Legal and its forerunner ACA have fought, and won, more pollution cases than the EA and water companies. Indeed some cases are brought against those very bodies by AT/Fish Legal. And that is a good reason why all clubs that own fishing rights should belong to AT.

And I should point out that at no time have I supported the idea of a levy on the rod licence ( I haven't voted on this poll at all). Merely that a pound is not a lot of money and thus a decision not to support the idea must be based on one's own feelings on the matter, not economics.

Sam Vimes

Using emotive words like calling people parasites and not actually being prepared to identify who warrants that description, saying that paying a pound a year would bleed you dry may sound good but add nothing to the discussion.
Here's a suggestion for you. How about they put a levy on match fees? On top of that, levy a percentage of all match winnings. That way, the only people paying are those with an interest in match fishing. Those that might stand a chance of actually benefitting from international match fishing will end up paying the most and only those with some chance of being selected would pay a single penny. That sounds entirely fair to me. If anyone objects, it will be a damning indictment.

A pound a year is certainly unlikely to bleed any individual dry. However, the principle of why the hell should individual anglers pay anything stands. Taking thousands of pounds from a whole group of anglers certainly does constitute bleeding people dry, especially when they are unwilling donors.

As for the parasites that exist already, How about huge swathes of the Angling Trust and the EA? Angling wouldn't be any worse off if hordes of them, that already suckle at angling's teat, suddenly ceased to exist.

Frankly, I couldn't care how much you might disagree, or how much you dislike what I say. I don't even care if people consider my view to be ill informed. What I strongly object to is other people suggesting ways to extract money from me, especially ways that give me no choice. All you do with that kind of suggestion is pee me off and make me dig my heels in. As it stands, I wouldn't voluntarily give any of the international angling teams the steam off a good stream. I don't pretend to speak for anyone, but I'm reasonably convinced that I'm not exactly alone on this.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
With me it is the principle of a levy on a rod licence and not the cost. 50p or £5 makes no odds which i'm sure is the case with most people. My main concern is, and i'm sure with any future sponsors is how are team selections made. Are the participants selected on past performance nationally or is it a case of, we shall pick me and my mates. Because if it is the latter, who on earth is going to fund that scenario.

Blanks

Site Supporter
As said above voluntary donations or self finance is the way forward.
Looking at the names for the feeder team I'm sure these anglers with four thousand pound poles, thousands of pounds of other tackle and days off in the week to fish matches all over the country could pay their own way.

Reactions: PAB

2ts

Site Supporter
Film the international matches then show on you tube,monetise them with adverts,or subscription.Those who are intrested can contribute that way.Also look at crowdfunding,and go fund me revenue streams.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Sport England have always dodged providing funds based on participation.The last time it was pointed out to them that the amount of licence sales dwarfed the participation numbers of minor sports their reply was that many Anglers buy a licence then dont actually go fishing.
when it was further pointed out that adding Sea anglers who dont need a licence would restore any numbers they insisted that most sea anglers also buy a licence for other types of fishing so you cant win as they have an agenda against Angling.
Sadly the Angling Trust are more concerned about their image than actually fighting for the grants we are more than entitled to.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I wonder if those from the Match bias part of our sport would be so vociferous if Danny Fairbrass asked you all to contribute towards funding the various domestic and international Carp fishing competitions we participate in now.
There does seem to be a bit of a "it revolves" around us where match fishing is concerned on this forum and in all reality most anglers don't really bother with that side of the sport.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
How about dropping the prize money of the match this and fisho finals and divert some of that into the internationals... after all that is seen as the home pinnacle so to my mind the upper echelons of the sport should be self funding