England Squad Announced

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Some interesting inclusions and also omissions.

In the Premier League era where it hasn't taken much for some players to 'retire from the national team' or not even give it much emphasis, how dangerous is it to use a reason for justifying a non selection, then to pick others that the rule could have also applied to?

Hasn't played much football lately
Has been injured
Doesn't fit how we want to play (but may have barely months ago)
We need to be dynamic and not stand still-kind of understand that one
Club not doing great which may reflect the players form

You can only pick a certain number of players granted, but are the above just a way of politely putting, well actually............................

I never want to think bad of any player who is 'injured' and not available, am sure that many are genuine but when they appear for their team at the weekend, you have to think. Luke Shaw was an interesting omission from the last squad for example, this time around he is unavailable (injured).

Yet another case too in this squad for the snobbery some refer to in terms of deserving players in some opinions seemingly being overlooked.

Heaton
Pickford
Pope

Trippier
Wan-Bissaka
Chillwell
McGuire
Mings
Alexander-Arnold
Keane
Rose
Gomez

Henderson
Madison
Mount
Barkley
Rice
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Winks

Lindgard
Rashford
Kane
Sancho
Stirling
Wilson

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Not just Walkers age that may have gone against him, looks fit enough to me. I wonder if his opinions on playing right of a back 3 over a 4, may have gone against him.

Can't fault Southgate overall, bar the too rigid tactics and too predictable tactics in the later stages of tournaments, but it always worries me, using qualifiers for injecting too many less experienced players.

Dusty

Southgate gives chances to players that deserve more than any other England manager I can remember in my lifetime. He isn’t afraid to call players up from recently promoted teams or teams that play unfashionable football, I think he’s been an inspired appointment.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
People's thoughts on the game? Type of opposition that gave a fair measure of where we are or not?

In terms of opposition, yet another team who tries to play out from the back when they shouldn't......the first goal? Dear oh dear.