England Fishing Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boss

With so many Gold medals how come non of the England Team or Managers ever get on T.V or win any awards. Even cr*p sports like horse flogging win awards.

We are the largest participation sport...are we not?

mangrojack

i know what you mean mate, if golf and curling can get on tv why can fishing not its a disgrace

perksy2007

Perksy
i represented england a few times in fly fishing and never even saw a camera or any sort of recording equipment. i don't think the general public are really bothered about fishing even though. England does a lot better in the world champs than any other sport.

Steve Beavan

It's all about how much money big buissness can make - angling's a lot bigger than it was ten years ago, but it's tiny compared to the money in football or golf; golf especially is a massive global traveling money circus.

ojfrancis

i do bmx racing aswell, thats just the same its not on the TV or anything, maybe you might get a event from the USA on but nothing from the UK, even though we have one of the best bmx racing teams in the world

jduck1979

John D
Originally posted by lucky wayne

i think the trouble with fishing on tv it does not make the best spectator sport

Neither is Snooker or Darts, but that's never seemed to have stopped the BBC temporarily replacing stuff worth watching with them (well, at least it never did when the BBC still put stuff on worth watching) [V]

The Boss

Chess was on TV once...now thats hardly a spectator sport but it was well covered for a week or so. The England Managers should shout a bit louder I think.

Bungee

Originally posted by The Boss

Chess was on TV once...now thats hardly a spectator sport but it was well covered for a week or so. The England Managers should shout a bit louder I think.

You really think it makes any difference how loud Addy and Downes shout?!

Angling is an emotive subject with some people, re the bloodsports issue, so TV is bound to shy away from sports that can affect ratings etc. How many times was Fox hunting televised as a sport? Not once, and they have Lords amongst their participancy who can shout a hell of a lot louder down the corridors of TV land than Addy or Downes ever could.

strat2

i thought fish'o'mania was awesome... i had to steal my copy of farnborough_ben haa took me about 3 days to whatch thoug :p

The Boss

Bungee Dont quite know if the blood sport issue quite cuts it as a reason not to broadcast. They filmed and broadcasted a pheasant shoot on the Beebs Country File once. Wildlife programmes are often full of blood letting and even Bambi's mother was shot with no-one screaming for that to be taken off the television. LOL. Fox hunting was always in a minority regardless of who the minority was. Angling is the largest participation sport. This means that maybe a minority would wish to see it taken off but the MAJORITY would overrule them. I see little self promotion within the sport. On Radio Four some time ago they were having a pop at British sportspeople stating that they had hardly ever won any gold medals of late. The BBC openly invited ANY manager of any sport to come forward to champion their sport. During the following interviews all manner of coaches and managers came on some sports I didn't even know we did. Was angling on? NO.

Larry

Lazarus
I know the reason angling never gets on Central TV Gary Newbon the conrtoller of sports on Central doesnt like angling

Skuzzlebutt

Isn't it a little hypercrytical to says coverage of Fishing is non ethically correct when last night I saw Gordon Ramsay's F Word and they were Force feeding Geese, Shooting Deer and readying Lambs for slaughter in the finale of the series. As an ex Chef I don't find any of the content of that programme to be excessive as it shows people how the food on their plate has arrived there, however compare that level of gorey detail to fishing and our sport pales in significance.

So in short, shooting Deer for game is fine but catching and releasing a fish is bad. Endless programmes about foul mouthed kids and pre op or post op transexuals, Hoodies, murderers, drug users etc. They're all fine, but catch a fish and you're the Devil incarnate.

What a wonderfull society we live in.

pool_fodder

Formula one, golf, cricket and dare I say it ENGLAND TEAM FOOTBALL all bore me to death, I would rather watch a fishing match any day.

Last edited:

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I was on TV when the British Float Tube championship got coverage when it was new (fluff chucking for trout from inflatable donut boats in a dry suite - see www.bfta.co.uk ). The coverage was the 'and here's a bunch of nutters' feature after the main news & I got a name check as the winning nutter.

I agree that we don't get much coverage, but I can see that those who don't fish can't relate to our passion.

brummie 76

I think there are several reasons why fishing is not on mainstream tv

1) uneducated people in high places (ie BBC, ITV)see fishing as controversial
2) fishing is percieved as "boring"
3) Why put angling on tv when sattilite channels cover it already? Less hassle for them.
4) As there is little "big" sponsors or money involved in fishing there is little interest from tv channels

I think the likes of "Sky Sports" and Barry Hearn are doing the sport a great favour in showing and organising Fish o' Mania....this proves angling CAN be a spectator sport....big money CAN be involved (same as Parkdean)....the attendance of spectators and participants is high.

I also think the campaingnes from angling times "Vote for Bob Nudd!" was great. As anglers i think we should keep on doing this to show the numbers involved in fishing to the tv bosses. Hopefully this time A.t. can also use the internet for votes as well as the paper. We all know if all anglers vote then Bob Nudd or now perhaps Alan Scotthorn etc would win BBC sports personality of the year hands down!! The team at least should get a mention on this programme....

CaRp Kidd

Speedy
I think you should have many diffrent shows on bbc 1 at the sME TIME SO YOU CAN CHOOSE lol they will lose money for first week or so but will be highly gained again

Hatchye

Maybe it's a good thing that fishing isn't mainstream and televised, as soon as we appear on TV at any other sport we start losing![:(!]

Status
Not open for further replies.