England Euro 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
For me the better players over the four games where Gerard , Johnson n Carroll all Liverpool !!!! The worst where Rooney n young both utd !!!!
Just shows Liverpool dindnt try hard enough in the league[:D]

H T B

Site Supporter
We did well to get out of the group.
First 20 minutes of the Italy game, I thought, come on.
Then we lost our way :(

When you only play with 10 men, you can't expect to win.
In each game Ashley Young was awful. Had a strong feeling he'd miss his penalty.

Gassy

Until teams in England stop paying millions for overseas players and start bringing our own youth through we will always be second rate!

pole addict

I' don't think I've ever seen a team defend so deep.

The England midfield kept going backwards. No pressure at all.

The only time the midfield stopped backing off was when they bumped into Terry and Lescott at the back.

Awful performance. I wont say disgraceful because I truly believe they were doing their best, it just wasn't good enough, and neither were the tactics.

Shez

Originally posted by pole addict

The only time the midfield stopped backing off was when they bumped into Terry and Lescott at the back.

Awful performance. I wont say disgraceful because I truly believe they were doing their best, it just wasn't good enough, and neither were the tactics.

Get used to it, while ever Woy is in charge this is what we will have to endure. Dull, boring, defensive football hoping to nick it 1-0 with a free kick or corner.

Can't wait for the season to start & enjoy some fast, slick, attacking football........or whatever AVB has in store for us at Spurs!

crowder

People need to stop blaming it on bringing players in from overseas, the reason we can't compete in tournaments is because of the entire youth structure in this country. You will be pleased to know it is changing though.

Led by Nick Levett (FA National Development Manager) and Gareth Southgate (Head of Elite Development), the Youth Development Review will transform the landscape of English football from here on out. Put it this way the Germans started doing something similar in 2000 and it transformed their entire footballing ethos as a nation, right through to their Senior setup.

What it's about:
Transforming youth football into appropriate small sided matches.
U7s and U8s = 5 v 5
U9s and U10s = 7 v 7
U11s and U12s = 9 v 9
U13+ = 11 v 11

Encouraging more touches on the ball, ergo more technical development at a younger age.

No publishing of league tables until the U12 age group, because your winning (or losing) 15-0 should not matter at 8 years old!

Movement over to a 6 week rotational tournament style system, matching skill levels (read: higher degrees of engagement and enjoyment).

Encouragement of non-competitive matches (outside the aforementioned 6 week system) that allow a young player the freedom to express his/herself and enjoy the game.

No more 4 foot goalkeepers standing in full size goals! Children will play in games, and on pitches, appropriate for their size and age.

The ultimate prize: development of the child within the national game.

Yes i have copied and pasted, but this can only be good for the English game.

Dogsbody

Sadly Crowder its all wrong.

The FAs plans are as you have rightly posted, however their it ends.

The only way to get the kids under the spotlight of the FA is to pay big money to get them there, most parents dont have that.

The only way to get English players into English teams is to change the rules regarding the number of non nationals a side can have on the pitch, not in the squad, ON the pitch.

Then and only then will scouts look at the English youth system for the talent. The talent is there in depth most definitely, and week in week out kids are copying the Ronaldo and Messi moves, and pass and move styles. Get your self along to a local youth outfit and enjoy watching some really organised team play.

The only way to get into a premier team these days is to have a fancy foreign name.

The kids already play non competitive at young age groups on very small pitches and 7 a side, only moving to 11 as side and home/away matches at U11, at that age they have smaller goals and size 4 bals dont get full size goals untill U13, as I recall the size 5 balls didnt come in untill U15. At U11 they played 30 minutes each way, rising to 45 by U16.

The biggest issue is lack of qualified unbiased refs, which leads to each team picking the biggest lads to be able to bowl over the smaller more technically gifted kids.

Ive seen all this from very close at hand.

As for last night, Welbeck shouldnt have come off,(he should not have started), Rooney ran a lot but lost posession as did Young always going for glory. As for Milner, the argument that hes in to cover for Johnsons defensive frailty wont wash he was out of position all night defensively, slow to break and would struggle to pass wind let alone a football. We effectively had a two man midfield in Gerrard and Parker and taking that into account both were excellent and rightly kn@ckered by 70 minutes.

john wilson

Site Supporter
Why the hell was Ashley young still playing after 30 mins he was poo,and as for rooney he was as bad. As for Gerard I would consider him as a very poor captain.Before extra time it was Terry who was finger wagging and giving orders not Gerard,he was sitting on his backside.Apart from that Italy deserved to win

H T B

Site Supporter
Why did Italy deserve to win?
36 attepmts at goal and they couldn't score, that's not very good, is it?
With Young in the team it was like playing with 10 men every game, with an unfit Rooney as well.......

davylad

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Shez

Originally posted by pole addict

Get used to it, while ever Woy is in charge this is what we will have to endure. Dull, boring, defensive football hoping to nick it 1-0 with a free kick or corner.

Can't wait for the season to start & enjoy some fast, slick, attacking football........or whatever AVB has in store for us at Spurs!
I thought you were from West Yorks.

Status
Not open for further replies.