England Euro 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstev

Dave
I'm going to kick things off in anticipation of todays squad announcement.

My thoughts on the rumours -

Rio Ferdinand left out - not the end of the world.
Kyle Walker out - absolutely gutted, by far Englands best right back.
Andy Carroll instead of Peter Crouch - Not a fan of Carroll would have preferred a proven goalscorer in Crouch.

martin l

Rio,sorry but no loss
Walker,big shame but surely Micah Richards gets in now,so much better than Johnson
as for up front,god only knows,but and its a big but,what about giving Grant Holt a start?

Luckyluca

Joe Cole has an outside chance of being picked, hope so, top quality when played correctly

Polecup

Yes, I am a
We seem to be very lite up front!

Andy Carroll - 4 goals in 35 games this season says it all for me! Are we planning on playing the long ball? If not why is he there?
Jermain Defoe - Only 3 goals in his first 27 England games of which 2 of those were against Andorra. Not good enough to have to rely on when Rooney is out for first 2 games.
Wayne Rooney - Misses the first 2 games through stupidity, could be prone to same again if wound up (but of coarse, no-one would try that in a championship would they?)! Let's hope were still in with a shout when it comes to the Ukraine match, France and Sweeden won't be easy without a quality striker!
Danny Welbeck - Who? Welbeck averages a goal every 4 games in the Premier league, but plays for one of the better teams. It woun't be so easy at international level, so will need to improve ten fold to give England a chance.

Left out.

Peter Crouch - 22 goals in 42 internationals, just short of a goal every other game. A must in my eyes!
Grant Holt - 17 goals in 38 games this season, no real international experience but neither has Carroll or Welbeck.
Daniel Sturridge 20 goals in his last 31 premier league starts, puts a lot of players to shame with a 1:3 ratio.

So will we score enough goals against France & Sweeden to give Rooney something to play for?

jcbenson

Account Locked
One of ferdinand or terry were always going to be left out, in order to reduce friction and avoid media coverage. Personally I wish it have been terry dropped, he is a disgrace.

I'd take crouch myself - he's been englands best striker for the last few years.

We have very little in midfield or attack this summer; I think we might end up playing 5-3-1-1 to compensate. I'd put as many english youngsters in as possible, at least they will gain some experience for the next few years, we will get dumped out in the group stages I think.

jods

Stumbler

Site Supporter
Well, we've got Theo Walcott......

Someone please explain?

crowder

This thing about Crouch being Englands best striker for years is utter nonsense.

" his goalscoring record speaks for itself"

I think if people look, most of his goals have come against part tiem teams like Jamaica and Andorra. The guy is lost on the big stage.

jcbenson

Account Locked
Originally posted by crowder

This thing about Crouch being Englands best striker for years is utter nonsense.

I think if people look, most of his goals have come against part tiem teams like Jamaica and Andorra. The guy is lost on the big stage.

Right. So instead you think we should play someone who hasn't scored against anyone internationally?

Genius.

p.s. I dont think france (world cup winners), greece (euro winners), uruguay, croatia, ukraine, hungary, mexico, etc qualify as part timers...

Last edited:

Polecup

Yes, I am a

I agree, His goals scoring does speak volumes! How many other players have a 1:2 ratio in international football? You can only score against the team your playing at the time.

We will miss Peter Crouch this summer. We are taking a strike force to the Euro's that even the Scots would keep out for the first 2 games. Let's just hope the French take the same defence as they had at the world cup in South Africa.

dumdum

my thoughts on euro 2012, shall i practice paste or pellet waggler while its on, i might watch the first few games down the pub, just before we get knocked out i should think [:(]

dstev

Dave
Originally posted by dumdum

my thoughts on euro 2012, shall i practice paste or pellet waggler while its on, i might watch the first few games down the pub, just before we get knocked out i should think [:(]

After the squad announcement I am thinking the same thing! We'll be lucky to get past the group stages, never mind win it!

crowder

Originally posted by jcbenson

Right. So instead you think we should play someone who hasn't scored against anyone internationally?

Genius.

p.s. I dont think france (world cup winners), greece (euro winners), uruguay, croatia, ukraine, hungary, mexico, etc qualify as part timers...

Never said that.

I never said i wouldn't take him either. Our striking options are so poor i would probably still take him, but that only exaggerates how awful our striking options are.

Dogsbody

So Grant holt deserves a shot based on 17 goal in 38 games, well Defoe has 17 in a lot less than that this season. Carroll has not been prolific this season to put it mildly but he has finished the season with a flourish putting Chelsea to the sword (Thats the Chelsea in the Champions league Final) so deserves his place.

Walcott and Young to deliver what Carroll has been craving all season, Crosses. He nods it down and Defoe hits the net.
Gerrard to sit back and play the passes out to the wide players and lampard to play as he does for Chelsea. Scot Parker has missed the end of the season through injury and I dont believe in taking injured players to a tournament.

I hope Terry doesnt play like he did in the world cup.

Personally I wouldnt take Terry and Rio is not fit for a Tournament even Fergie admits that.

I'd have put Lescott and Jagielka or Lescott and Richards or Lescott and Cahill at the back.

I dont like lescott or City but he has performed well this season and deserves a run out.

Finally good luck to Chelsea on Saturday[:T]

dstev

Dave
Well it appears the squad are dropping like flies!

Mind you it probably means Micah Richards gets a chance instead of the **** poor Glen Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.