Engineering Company

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The outside walls of my new cottage are decorated with 2 large steel wheels. They are stamped "Bedford Eng. Uttoxeter". Any info boys and girls? Please.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are they decoration or the remains of a terrible jaunting cart accident....... 😀

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Could be this lot About Us | technically they are Bedford Engineering Co. (Manchester)

Based in Stockport of all places (much closer to Uttoxeter than Bedford!)

Although the earliest records with Companies House only go back to 1961, the website says they were founded in 1918.

Last edited:

JayD

I should have gone to specsavers🤔 it is Bamford. There is also a date on one but I can't make it out until I clean it up.
You just beat me to it Dave. Having worked in engineering all my life, I was interested in your post and a quick google came up with this,

I found the leighton Iron works, and did a search of it's history, and thought your wheel might have been 'rubbed over the years.

John,

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You just beat me to it Dave. Having worked in engineering all my life, I was interested in your post and a quick google came up with this,

I found the leighton Iron works, and did a search of it's history, and thought your wheel might have been 'rubbed over the years.

John,
Thanks mate, I will clean them up and check the date.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And the family presumably involved with JCB's?
What relation was Henry to Joseph?