End of cheap booze

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Wallace

leo
It had to happen.Because of the drunken antics some of the minority get up to, The majority are being penalized. If these nutty professer's get their way we could end up with prohibition. Ban this ban that. Where will it end.[:(!]

pole addict

Banning cheap booze is a good idea.

Retailers have a responsibilty to the public.

It would be bad practice for a landlord to serve more beer to an already bladdered punter. Why should supermarkets be any less accountable for their actions?

Dannysdad

Guv
Originally posted by pole addict

It would be bad practice for a landlord to serve more beer to an already bladdered punter. Why should supermarkets be any less accountable for their actions?

Landlords had a legal obligation to ensure that customers didn't get paralytic (They may still have) and could have their licences withdrawn for persistant drunken problems.

D Wallace

leo
At the end of a hard days work especially on a hot summers day, I like to come home have my tea have a shower settle down for the night and have a couple of cool beers. unfortunately because of the punter who likes to get bladdered every night i have to pay through the nose for my little bit of pleasure.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think they're refering to the cheap bottles of high octane 'cider' and super strength lagers

johng19

me@home.com
Originally posted by pole addict

Ye but were will it end.

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Theres always someone somewhere who will always flip things up for others. [:(!]
So the Majority must suffer for the minority. [:eek:)]

Harry.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Bring Back "Davenports Beer At Home" Those who are old enough should remember the service.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]

Larry

Lazarus
IMHO It won't change a thing they will will still buy it regardless of the cost&do without some thing else.Whatever price it'll still be cheaper to get tanked up with it before going out for the night to the club's thats what happens round here . When a lot of young lads i know from the gym happily spend 80.00 to 100.00 every Saturday night going into Birminghams Broad Street club area. To the nightclub's.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Larry I know a fair few people that spend more than that on a night out.

Larry

Lazarus
Originally posted by svenc

Larry I know a fair few people that spend more than that on a night out.
Your probably right now inflations gone since i was talking to them.

nrayner

Yes, but who'd want to drink John Smith's vomit water anyway? I'm concerned about the 1 bottles of real ale sold by Booths Supermarkets- will the minimum price be set high enough to override that sort of offer, I wonder?

andyfp

Account Locked
Thats why life is wonderful, everyone has their opinions on things, i would not put things so strongly but there you go brother

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I dont think this will happen. If it goes much higher then there will be an influx of cheap booze from France through unofficial channels. Admittedly I'm closer than most to Folkestone, but a day trip to France with the car saves me a fortune. It used to cost about 100 (incl train ticket & petrol) and I would save 3+ per bottle of wine and save a fortune (and all legal). Push the prices up further and more folks will go.

A similar issue arose with rolling tabacco a few years back and the Government had to stop increasing the tax since all it did was promote smuggling.

You may get a few changes were they stop silly promotions and selling below cost, but I cant see the kind of price increases being discussed ever happening. Pure scare tactics IMHO.

andyfp

Account Locked
Originally posted by nrayner

Oh I would[:D] The stuff is unspeakable[xx(]

Hows about Bombadier then, is that more to your taste buds or Black Sheep [:D]

Larry

Lazarus
I prefer Marstons Pedigree,or any of the Marstons brews,strong pale ale,double drop,Burton Ale,there a few can't think of the names now.

nrayner

Andy - Certainly is,yum yum.

Those and the thousands of other good ales coming out of breweries large and small these days[:T][:p]

Just hope a minimum price doesn't kill any of them off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.