End of another river season. How was yours?

squimp

Site Supporter
I had a great autumn/early winter.

Had to stop in mid December due to floods and haven’t been able to get back because of COVID travel restrictions. Sod’s law that the river has been in good(ish) nick for the last couple of weeks.

Roll on next season and I will go on a hunt for a big Thames roach to extend my river season.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not the best 30 odd Barbel is my worst year in a long time.
For those of us that don't live in barbel country 30 is near a lifetimes worth 👍🏻 Couldn't be sure that I've had much more than a couple dozen full stop.

Roll on next season and I will go on a hunt for a big Thames roach to extend my river season.
Really hope you get one as be good to see as they are quite a rare beast, can't remember the last confirmed Thames two I heard about. We've got lots of good roach but seemingly not that many big ones.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
For those of us that don't live in barbel country 30 is near a lifetimes worth 👍🏻 Couldn't be sure that I've had much more than a couple dozen full stop.

Really hope you get one as be good to see as they are quite a rare beast, can't remember the last confirmed Thames two I heard about. We've got lots of good roach but seemingly not that many big ones.
Tidal Trent pal. More Barbel than pretty much anything else now. Especially on the tidal stretches. Crikey, some anglers are into the hundreds before the end of the season. Especially the lads who fish up at Collingham weir. Some days they hit 50 or 60 Barbel in one sitting. Most I’ve ever done in one sitting was 27 from Lady Pit Farm. Three pegs down from the weir. The lad on peg 1 went and had a lay in the back of his van he was exhausted. 🤣🤣🤣

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Had my fair share of blanks, but then had my first double figure barbel, biggest river bream at just under 8lb and 2nd biggest river pike. Also a day of the most pike I’ve had in one session, 8 in 3 hours including 3 doubles. All from the Trent.
So on the one hand, I’ve not had that many sessions and a fair number of blanks, but then when I think about it, I probably can’t complain!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tidal Trent pal. More Barbel than pretty much anything else now. Especially on the tidal stretches. Crikey, some anglers are into the hundreds before the end of the season. Especially the lads who fish up at Collingham weir. Some days they hit 50 or 60 Barbel in one sitting. Most I’ve ever done in one sitting was 27 from Lady Pit Farm. Three pegs down from the weir. The lad on peg 1 went and had a lay in the back of his van he was exhausted. 🤣🤣🤣
That is pretty mad to think about. You'd probably do well to get into double figures of them in a season here. I'm quite glad we don't have many here tbh as they do seem to make rivers as busy as commercials which would be a pain!

Got a week booked on the Severn in September so will join the barbel brigade for a day or two then 👍🏻

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That is pretty mad to think about. You'd probably do well to get into double figures of them in a season here. I'm quite glad we don't have many here tbh as they do seem to make rivers as busy as commercials which would be a pain!

Got a week booked on the Severn in September so will join the barbel brigade for a day or two then 👍🏻
Collingham on a busy day would make a match on a commercial look empty mate. It’s ridicules. Proper shoulder to shoulder fishing. Fights have been known to break out even. How stupid is that ? That’s why I like Besthorpe and Girton gravels. Stretches that never get crowded. Ok we have our bad days but, overall we do ok. That’s when we aren’t getting pestered with sodding Mitten crabs. They started a couple of seasons ago. They take your bait and even nip your hair rig off. Sodding things they are. 😡😡

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Collingham on a busy day would make a match on a commercial look empty mate. It’s ridicules. Proper shoulder to shoulder fishing. Fights have been known to break out even. How stupid is that ? That’s why I like Besthorpe and Girton gravels. Stretches that never get crowded. Ok we have our bad days but, overall we do ok.
That is just nuts! You do have to be on the bank early to get a good swim here but you'll always get a swim of some sort at any time provided there's not matches on.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Only had limited time on the river last summer/early autumn as I spent most of my fishing time chasing tench. Late autumn had some lovely days after chub and barbel mainly on the Wye but with the occasional session on the Severn before moving onto the town stretches in winter for roach, dace, perch and chub.

This year, when the river levels allowed, it has been feeder fishing for barbel when I managed time on the bank All very enjoyable and just splendid to be outside in the fresh air.

Yesterday was a red letter day and proved, if proof were needed, that anglers must always "have one last cast". I fished on the Wye, just out of Hereford town and the river was carrying about 7ft. By five o'clock I'd had around 15 small chub and was thinking of a hot shower and and tea, I decided to give it another cast and after a few minutes the rod tip whacked around and soon after a 5lb barbel was in the net. The next 90 minutes was fantastic producing 8 barbel up to 8lb 4oz.

The magic of river fishing and roll on next season.

adriang

Site Supporter
Sunday, went to the Thames at Tadpole Bridge. Looked at the river and decided not to bother as it was trucking through, although it had a decent colour . My fishing partner was already there, he gave up at 11am, he said the colour went to muddy brown.

My last hurrah was Harvington on the Warks Avon, where I fished Friday. Lost a barbel, but after the wind picked up, I moved to the boat channel for some shelter and fished the pole for a decent mixed bag, including some netter perch, despite having a mink building a nest on the far bank.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

I had a 6lb barbel at Eynsham Down on the Thames on luncheon meat , mind you it was 2 years ago 😂😂

squimp

Site Supporter

I’d love to catch 10 barbel from the Thames next season - but it won’t happen. It might be possible if I moved/fished in the west London area.

I have a few more stretches to explore; so an optimist might hope they would stumble over the mother lode - but somehow I doubt it.......

Maybe I should rope Chefster in to help me find them - he obviously has the knack.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It will pale in comparison to some other catches on here this year but for a river you can jump across in places I was well pleased. That was when it was full of silvers and I never knew what would be on the end when the float buried. :)
Zerkalo , I would say you have had an amazing season all-round, both river and Stillwater, you’ve had some amazing catches👍👍plenty of real quality fish !! One thing I’ll say , is all them questions you ask , you really must process all the information well, and put it all in to practice 👍👍👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’d love to catch 10 barbel from the Thames next season - but it won’t happen. It might be possible if I moved/fished in the west London area.

I have a few more stretches to explore; so an optimist might hope they would stumble over the mother lode - but somehow I doubt it.......

Maybe I should rope Chefster in to help me find them - he obviously has the knack.
Ha! That was obviously pure luck 😂😂it came in amongst a shoal of chub 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I had a 6lb barbel at Eynsham Down on the Thames on luncheon meat , mind you it was 2 years ago 😂😂
I’ve seen a few Barbel come out of the Thames Tadpole stretch recently. 3 this past week in fact have been posted on fb, all around the 7/8lb mark.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’ve seen a few Barbel come out of the Thames Tadpole stretch recently. 3 this past week in fact have been posted on fb, all around the 7/8lb mark.
I used to fish the Thames a lot, but that was the only one I ever saw 💁‍♂️

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Sunday, went to the Thames at Tadpole Bridge. Looked at the river and decided not to bother as it was trucking through, although it had a decent colour . My fishing partner was already there, he gave up at 11am, he said the colour went to muddy brown.

My last hurrah was Harvington on the Warks Avon, where I fished Friday. Lost a barbel, but after the wind picked up, I moved to the boat channel for some shelter and fished the pole for a decent mixed bag, including some netter perch, despite having a mink building a nest on the far bank.
I had a little peek 10 days ago and it just looked like a write off. I’ve seen a few big chub & barbel come out on fb but the silver catches have been non-existent.

squimp

Site Supporter
That is good news. I used to fish Tadpole in the 80’s and the stock dwindled away - maybe they are coming back.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I had a little peek 10 days ago and it just looked like a write off. I’ve seen a few big chub & barbel come out on fb but the silver catches have been non-existent.
I don’t fish the river anymore, to be honest I don’t get time , and I haven’t got the inclination 😂

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I used to fish the Thames a lot, but that was the only one I ever saw 💁‍♂️
I don’t really know how this year compares to previous years but the impression I got was they were almost non-existent in the Thames. Fingers crossed they are making a comeback. 🤞

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

I don’t really know how this year compares to previous years but the impression I got was they were almost non-existent in the Thames. Fingers crossed they are making a comeback. 🤞
Most I've heard of from one bloke in a season here was about half a dozen I think but very rare to hear of anyone even getting close to a handful. Doubt I hear of much more than a dozen coming out in an average season full stop.

Far more likely to catch tench than barbel it seems which is saying something for a river!

The Thames around here is pretty much all about silvers June to November then you rarely hear about them once the floods and frosts hit. Been quite a few nice chub and bream catches this winter in the windows between the floods but I haven't heard of a single decent roach or dace catch since late November.