Embarrassment of riches?

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
Do we ever feel we don't want to use our top of the range pole etc so as not to make others with lesser gear, feel a bit embarrassed

Reuben

Site Supporter
Certainly wouldn’t bother me if I was the user or observer. You’d have to be a particular saddo to be that envious of someone else. However, there are some who fit that profile that’s for sure…..
My pole certainly isn’t top of the range though.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Nope as I don't have a pole nor want one thanks! Happy with a rod- oh did you mean--- I don't have atop of the range rod either, unless you count the Browning Sphere Bomb Rod - and I'm still happy and unembarrassed

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
lol its yours so use it, if you embarrassed you wouldnt have purchased it in the first place lol

same as when you pull up in a nice new fishing car! not embarrassed at all, its what i wanted

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Unless you put a pole up to 13m, 14.5m or 16m they all generally look the same at 11m with minimum graphics.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive got a 'flag ship' Maver pole, it was one of the most expensive on the shelves when it came out.

Its now around sixteen years old and I bought it secondhand off a good friend. Its got a good range of topkits, a few spare sections, still sits straight at 14.5m, still useable at 16m, and apart from a bit of wear and tear is as good as the day it was when first bought.

Maver 401 16m (y)

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
If I owned a top end pole I wouldn’t be embarrassed to use it, just sh!te scared of putting a thumb through a section or any other form of breaking it whilst fishing. Then again I would be embarrassed to break any bit of kit through my own fault be it a £5 whip or a top end piece of carbon.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
its in great nick through the lack of fish catching action its had to deal with and a coating of pork pie fat residue lol :ROFLMAO:;)

Ive got a 'flag ship' Maver pole, it was one of the most expensive on the shelves when it came out.

Its now around sixteen years old and I bought it secondhand off a good friend. Its got a good range of topkits, a few spare sections, still sits straight at 14.5m, still useable at 16m, and apart from a bit of wear and tear is as good as the day it was when first bought.

Maver 401 16m (y)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter

Maver 401 16m (y)
"...is as good as the day it was when first bought".

As was often said by my late wife, "buy cheap buy twice".

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Never ever thought about it. I just use whatever I have which I think is right. If I didn't think something was right I wouldn't use it.

But I have had many comments from anglers seeing me use the 'wrong' kit in their eyes. E.G. Method feeder rods on the Thames. And ? So what. They are stiffer, more powerful rods which suit exactly what I want often in winter. I don't care about the name. And using cheaper kit when I could have easily had & used more expensive kit.

It's all horses for courses. Use whatever actually works.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nothing really to do with embarrassment from me, just I think it's a bit more of a gamble splashing on high end stuff as with rods for example, I might find that I don't like what I've bought. Less risk with cheaper alternatives.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Do we ever feel we don't want to use our top of the range pole etc so as not to make others with lesser gear, feel a bit embarrassed"

Who cares what others think - that's their problem.
I would say most anglers do not have a clue what others are using, the cost or the quality - more importantly they won't care.
It's a human trait to want the best but the reality is most would not have a clue what makes it the best and in most cases it comes down to herd mentality or because others have told them it is.
Doesn't matter what it costs, in the hands of someone that cannot use it properly its as good as the lesser gear.

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
Blimey, bit like saying do you drive a beat up ford focus cos you don't want to embarrass your mates by driving the range rover .
If you got it flaunt it .
Unfortunately I haven't got it so drive a cab

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I have a flagship pole, not that it gets much use these days. However, it was obsolete (though brand new) when I bought it for a song. Despite it being about fifteen years old, I'd happily still use it if I went anywhere where using a pole would be beneficial. It'll come into its own again at some point, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I generally don't buy anything that is top of the range in fishing or life overall, don't see a need for it given my abilities or in terms of being able to justify it either. I do know that if someone has all the top gear, then the expectation is on them to be able to use it. I find a lot in fishing that the person with the 'lesser kit', rather than being jealous or envious, takes pride in doing well with old, sometimes even retro kit, sometimes they get a real enjoyment from being a bit unfashionable.