Electro Fishing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty67

hablando espanol
After the big freeze this year, the club i'm a member decided it was time to net the water. So the EA came along with the nets and waders and set to work with several commitee men to net the pond, result....several hundred roach, bream, rudd and a few small perch, and only 3 carp 7-9 lbs. This water is known for it's large head of carp upto 25 lbs.[:C]
As you can imagine this caused mayhem at the next meeting, with accusations flying left and right, '' it's the matchmen, killing em'', ''it's the carpers moving them to a bigger water'' blah, blah, blah. It was decided to get a professional outfit in to electro fish the water with the following results...
120 Carp, fish mostly 7-14 lbs with several bigger examples, 000's of silvers and some decent perch. Not a bad result from 1 1/2 acres of water. There are at least 5 carp that go over 20 lbs, which didn't show in either netting but 3 of these have been banked in the last few weeks.
What i cant get my head round is the massive difference in numbers from the EA's netting to the private one. If we had gone off the EA netting the club may well have spent 000's on fresh stock, or else it would of been wound up which would of been a crying shame.
The moral of the story is, DON'T trust the EA to net your water, get the pro's in.[:T]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with netting is that it only works well when you have a smooth, even, lake bed.
The net will only follow the high points of a lake bed and once the fish see a net coming towards them they will instinctively dive down and look for an escape.
If the net isn't following the contours then the fish will escape

Strangely enough considering the experts say that fish have 7 second memories they always seem to remember which way to head in case of danger. Take a hooked Carp or Barbel for example, they always know where the snags are and how to use them to their advantage to shed hooks

shadow12345

I would of loved to be a fly on the wall during the meeting following the first pass of the net.

Makes you wonder just what else gets missed...

nelson66

I was told that the EA use nets which dont drag along the bottom because of health and safety issues so they only ever get a representative sample of what a water holds rather than getting true numbers.

matty67

hablando espanol
Originally posted by Dave

The problem with netting is that it only works well when you have a smooth, even, lake bed.
The net will only follow the high points of a lake bed and once the fish see a net coming towards them they will instinctively dive down and look for an escape.
If the net isn't following the contours then the fish will escape

Strangely enough considering the experts say that fish have 7 second memories they always seem to remember which way to head in case of danger. Take a hooked Carp or Barbel for example, they always know where the snags are and how to use them to their advantage to shed hooks

The lake isn't that uneven Dave, there's a small hump/sunken island in the middle and a couple of humps in front of one of the pegs, apart from those, which the EA were told about, it's pretty uniform. The thing is, the EA didn't have the time to do a proper job imo, it was all over in a couple of hours.
One downside to electro fishing, is the death of several old double figure carp who couldn't take it, i think we lost about 15 fish in total, small price to pay for an accurate count..

Last edited:

Col7777

@Matty67 Just out of interest what charges were involved if you don't mind saying?

The pro's did a good job and the money saving you mentioned sounds good advice for other clubs.

matty67

hablando espanol
600 mate for the electro fishing. We also now have an EA report regarding the stock density of the pond, which should be roughly 600 lbs of fish per acre of water, we have 1 1/2 acres so roughly 900 lbs is ideal, there's a guestimated 1200 lbs. However the EA are recomending we remove 80% of the carp, as you can imagine this has caused uproar, with the commitee and certain sections of the membership agreeing with the EA, and the rest(vast majority) being against.
We have requested an Extraordinary AGM, to try and sort out the best way forward,. At the end of the day we all want whats best for our water, and im sure some compromise will have to be met, but it's causing a big rift in the club. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Polecup

Yes, I am a
Hi Matty67

My first question is which water are you talking about? I live less than a mile away from Irlam and fish a very simillar sounding water to the one your talking about. However, our water was ruined by the number of carp that were in there, it was only the last winter when we lost hundreds of carp in the freeze that the water has started to improve and you can now catch silvers and crusians again.
Before this happened to our water, I would have told the EA to go do one if they mentioned reducing the number of carp in a water. But having seen the difference to the fishing now we should have followed their advice and taken them out far sooner.
We have now come to the conclusion that all carp between 4-10lb should be removed as the matchmen find them too big for a mixed bag and the carp anglers class them as too small to bother about. Less carp, but bigger carp is our approach going forward and with the exception of a few it seems to be generally accepted as the best way forward.

Col7777

Thanks for the reply Matty, another question to anybobdy actually, why do they say Carp can ruin the water for fishing, the reason I ask is I have a favourite lake that has some Carp in also it is shallow, around 2-3 foot all over?

matty67

hablando espanol
Originally posted by Polecup

Hi Matty67

My first question is which water are you talking about? I live less than a mile away from Irlam and fish a very simillar sounding water to the one your talking about. However, our water was ruined by the number of carp that were in there, it was only the last winter when we lost hundreds of carp in the freeze that the water has started to improve and you can now catch silvers and crusians again.
Before this happened to our water, I would have told the EA to go do one if they mentioned reducing the number of carp in a water. But having seen the difference to the fishing now we should have followed their advice and taken them out far sooner.
We have now come to the conclusion that all carp between 4-10lb should be removed as the matchmen find them too big for a mixed bag and the carp anglers class them as too small to bother about. Less carp, but bigger carp is our approach going forward and with the exception of a few it seems to be generally accepted as the best way forward.

it's in Stockport mate, our club isn't that forward thinking fella. I agree with you, my first reaction was one of horror, and no way are they taking our carp. But on reflection, i would rather have fewer, but bigger carp in there.I still think 80% is too many but i'm sure we'll come to a compromise.
The other thing is the EA will refuse us any further help in future if we dont go with their recomendations...[:0]

flukebox

Originally posted by matty67

One downside to electro fishing, is the death of several old double figure carp who couldn't take it, i think we lost about 15 fish in total, small price to pay for an accurate count..

[:C]

r u serious matty? or on a wind up? lol [:p]

they have a national headcount in this country for people too, but if it killed my grandfather and yours with a tazer gun, i dont think we would be calling it a small price to pay for an accurate count ... do you?

if it killed the old ones, what do you think its done to the health of your young ones?

just because they arent dead, yet, doesn't mean they havent suffered spinal damage, nerve damage, brain damage, all symptoms of electro shocks seen in humans and fish

i think the fishing community has been forced to swallow this approach as the only solution, when there are clearly others available that are less lethal and barbaric and more effective!

am i the only person who thinks this is unneccessary and barbaric?

i feel like crying at the inhumanity tbh :C] [:H]

what about a freshwater beam trawler approach? get the derricks out?

works a treat in the sea, scoops EVERYTHING up

surely we can come up with an alternative that doesn't frazzle their brains?

what about a bunch of you lads from the club get your scuba gear on and go and have a swim down there and see whats happening?

you might even enjoy it! yknow be 'at one' with the fish in their natural environment and all that

all the best

Last edited:

matty67

hablando espanol
the alternative is netting, which in this case didn't work, i'm not happy at the loss of any fish especially big carp.

flukebox

the alternative is netting, which in this case didn't work, i'm not happy at the loss of any fish especially big carp.

cool [:T]

so lets all put our heads together and come up with an alternative that doesnt kill the old and damage the young?

i've suggested trawling or scuba diving, netting could work if scuba divers dragged it along the contours opf the bottom of the lake right?

hows about that for a slice of fried gold?

Col7777

On this subject it might be possible to ask some diving clubs for assistance, they may be glad of the chance to do some training.

billybuster

We had taken over a lake in leicestershire in jan not knowing the stock at the time nearly all the members who joined stated it was full of carp roach tench etc.when we did a net to check stock only about 6 carp were caught,the reason is the team who netted the lake only used a short net not deeper enough to reach the bottom of the lake [:0]it is absolutley fishing its head off at the minute so netting doesn't always show the true stock levels in the lake i had the same also (wheres all the fish gone)(its been poached)the usual rubbish

flukebox

Originally posted by Col7777

On this subject it might be possible to ask some diving clubs for assistance, they may be glad of the chance to do some training.

genius idea mate [:T]

so scuba divers with deeper nets seems like just the ticket!

the scuba divers can also make a note of any that make a succesful break for it around the net!

any more good ideas lads? this electro fishing lark is no good imho

flukebox

i just think that if you found 15 of your big old carp dead on the side of the lake or taken by the polish for the table there would be uproar

but if they die as a result of a counting excercise this is seen as a neccessary evil and OK?

got to be a better way .... got to be [:T]

Blade67

The lake isn't that uneven Dave, there's a small hump/sunken island in the middle and a couple of humps in front of one of the pegs, apart from those, which the EA were told about, it's pretty uniform. The thing is, the EA didn't have the time to do a proper job imo, it was all over in a couple of hours.

I agree completely, even if you lose a few water pigs, there's plenty more to be bought from fish farms which can be artificially bloated up to 20lbs plus on boilies and pellets in no time.

flukebox

Originally posted by Blade67

I agree completely, even if you lose a few water pigs, there's plenty more to be bought from fish farms which can be artificially bloated up to 20lbs plus on boilies and pellets in no time.

what a fantastic attitude to fish welfare and conservation you have sir [V]

just great [:T]

Blade67

Originally posted by flukebox

Originally posted by Blade67

what a fantastic attitude to fish welfare and conservation you have sir [V]

just great [:T]

About the same as you and bream ?? [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.