Electric Vehicles - the truth about, Channel 4

John Step

Site Supporter
Whatever the electric enthusiasts say, for the foreseeable future they are really only suitable for short hops. I would think that the current freeze will test EVs to the limit. Headlights, screen heaters, heaters.
I recently watch a video where it was said that the carbon footprint of EVs only get to better the petrol versions after a considerable mileage. More mileage than the average driver does in the life of that car anyway.

The EVs must be better for city/town air but thats about all at the moment.

Warden

Site Supporter
So a journey of two and a half hours will have an extra 30minutes added to it whilst the car recharges - twice ?
As things stand at the moment yes, but as has been said quite a few times the infostructure is not in place yet, its 2035? when the new ICE cars stop being sold, will take a few years after that I assume before every one has to drive a EV by then i probably won't see it but I expect businesses including places like Lindholme ,Alders and many others will have charging points at their venues that customers can use while fishing why won't they grants are available now to EV buyers to fit chargers I imagine they will also be given incentives, they pay 15p per kwh hour charge at 30p per kwh hour 100% profit you bet they will especially if it increases the number of anglers than would otherwise come with an electric car., in 15 years time I expect things to look a whole lot different, that's progress.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Whatever the electric enthusiasts say, for the foreseeable future they are really only suitable for short hops. I would think that the current freeze will test EVs to the limit. Headlights, screen heaters, heaters.
I recently watch a video where it was said that the carbon footprint of EVs only get to better the petrol versions after a considerable mileage. More mileage than the average driver does in the life of that car anyway.

The EVs must be better for city/town air but thats about all at the moment.
Along with power cuts. They I fear will get more common with the growing number of electric vehicles and lack of power stations.
I read on a Farming forum I frequent that over the weekend , a chap went travelled to his second home for the weekend, in his electric Tesla. Power cut over the weekend could charge the car to get home, couldn’t even get in the garage as the door had an electric opener. On top of no heating, lighting and no hot water. And this is supposed to be progress.

HawkerMan

It's called progress and you have to start somewhere, Iv'e no doubt people didn't think they could replace the horse with petrol/diesel-powered vehicles, as where would you get your fuel from not enough petrol stations.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
It's called progress and you have to start somewhere, Iv'e no doubt people didn't think they could replace the horse with petrol/diesel-powered vehicles, as where would you get your fuel from not enough petrol stations.
It won’t be progress at all unless something is done pretty quickly about getting electricity produced in the first place. And don’t say renewables like wind and solar, as they are not reliable enough. More effort should be put into tidal.

62tucker

Site Supporter
It won’t be progress at all unless something is done pretty quickly about getting electricity produced in the first place. And don’t say renewables like wind and solar, as they are not reliable enough. More effort should be put into tidal.
Double whammy up north at weekend.
Storms caused lots of power cuts. So no electric cars would be able to be charged. Even petrol stations weren’t open so I guess the Tesla charging points wouldn’t be working.
And wind was to strong so the windmills were turned off.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Power cuts could get more frequent with more demand for electricity, unless the supply is not significantly upgraded.

HawkerMan

Nothing will happen quickly, things will change over many years as with everything it takes time, look how far we have come in the last 100 years.
There is no quick fix, they say they want to stop the production of petrol/diesel cars in 2030 and all that will happen is they will extend this date another 5 or 10 years and this will keep happening until a sustainable alternative is available.

Warden

Site Supporter
A hundred years ago people would not be able to conceive what life would be like in the 1960's,and in 1960 people would not be able to conceive what it would be like today (from a how it would work scenario) and probably neither can we now,
In 50 years time cars may be dual fuelled 50% from solar energy with the car roofs being solar panels and 50% from the grid with a range of 500 miles?
in 100 years time they may be inserting a energiser memory stick into the ignition drawing all their power from Wi Fi? assuming they are not all flying by then, with our Great, great grandchildren looking back at all the old fishing forums wondering if Dave was ever going to win his £ back off Peter.:unsure:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The issue I have is the finite life of the car batteries... they normally wear out or cease to hold their charge, and you need extra battery insurance to replace them... can they be re- used...? Or recycled, how are they disposed of?

HawkerMan

The issue I have is the finite life of the car batteries... they normally wear out or cease to hold their charge, and you need extra battery insurance to replace them... can they be re- used...? Or recycled, how are they disposed of?
See post 80 of this thread.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
@Warden
I remember being at Warwick University Manufacturing Group 16 years ago and the roof, bonnet and some of the glass was being utilised as solar panels.
Not sure what happened to that technology

HawkerMan

It's easy to see this was made to deliberately to put a downer on electric vehicles. Lots of videos on youtube show that if you plan your journey properly it's not hard to do long journeys. Judging by peoples comments on here they will never be convinced electric cars are the future and maybe they are not but something will replace petrol/diesel eventually but we are a fair way off at the moment. They are working hard on synthetic fuel so maybe that's the answer, who knows.

Last edited:

Arry

Site Supporter
See post 80 of this thread.
So... 1 plant... and they sound German, in Germany...? there'd need to be national groups of these guys in every country if we all went leccy... and as has been asked what happened to the idea of Solar panels in bonnet and roofs... not enough power...?

HawkerMan

So... 1 plant... and they sound German, in Germany...? there'd need to be national groups of these guys in every country if we all went leccy... and as has been asked what happened to the idea of Solar panels in bonnet and roofs... not enough power...?
You have to start somewhere it's not going to happen overnight.

Arry

Site Supporter
Not arguing just looking for a better alternative to roadside charging... solar is free power after the voltaeic cell and batteries

HawkerMan

Not arguing just looking for a better alternative to roadside charging... solar is free power after the voltaeic cell and batteries
We all want a better alternative and I think solar will become more common but it needs more investment.
Where I live they built a gas power station next to a tidal river, I still can't work that one out.