Electric Vehicles - the truth about, Channel 4

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Just read an interesting article in the FT... apparently scientists are close to developing a nuclear fusion reactor with the first working power station by 2030... could be a game changer

I though France had recommissioned a few coal fired power stations recently.
Thing with France is they love the power they have in EU pushing others about but dont like to follow the rules themselves 😐

Arch

Site Supporter
One thing that never gets mentioned when anyone talks about Electric cars is, are the cables in the ground big enough for all the extra power they'll need to carry to provide the charge for all these new cars. Bearing in mind some of those cables have been in the ground for the best part of 60yrs, the answer is no.

JLK

Shame there's no acient Egyptians left. They could have helped us build a super power grid network across the entire country using rivers and big pyramid shaped buildings. 🤔

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We still have a lot of houses interconnected like daisy chains to above ground cables which are nothing more than 20-25mm and struggle to meet modern day requirements let alone the demand for charging multiple cars.

And what if you live in an area where there is no off-street parking? Can you run extension cables across the road and paths to charge your car where you left it :) ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
1637792864890.png

London electric bus being charged by diesel generators :)

JLK

If that's real it just makes a mockery of it all at the minute doesn't it.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I think the rapid switch over to EV`s is a load of pie in the sky, mind you I said that about the channel tunnel and leaving the EU.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The big electric con…. I don’t own a car, but I do have two vans, I had a look at he VW Transporter electric when it came out, best part of £70K and a range of 82 miles, who the hell is going to buy one, I get over 500 miles from a tank of fuel with my diesel Transporter. Non of the vans have long enough range yet, haven’t seen a charging point at a fishery yet and when I travel to France, stopping every 82 miles (or most likely less) to charge up.

We were all ‘persuaded’ to go diesel and now it’s being demonised.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Some of my neighbours have 4 and 5 cars. No front gardens but driveways. If they were electric then charging all of them could be a juggle.

Where my parents lived it was mostly terraced houses. No chance to charge there. Can you also imagine what might happen if you trailed an extension lead out to your car across the footpath ?? Some moron is bound to try and tamper with it and someone is bound to trip over it and sue you.

The infrastructure is way behind the car technology which in itself isn't good enough. And in some cases it really is not possible to have an electric vehicle.

Oxford City Council recently built (I think the numbers are right) 33 new houses in Cowley, no garages, no drives - except for 5. Deliberately. Residents in the adjacent road (the houses are at the end of their close) complained at the plan and the council said that the people who would buy them would be local people with no cars and who would just use local transport. And guess what ? All houses have cars - more than 1 in many cases - and all park in the adjacent road causing havoc !!! And then they'll have to go electric ????

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
It's been said for years that proper cycle paths like Holland would reduce the use of cars and omission's, the UK has had no inclination over the past 30 years to have Cycle paths linked to every payment in the UK and Country villages just 3 or 4 miles out of main towns. We still do not have cycle paths to be able to commute on or the kids to be able to cycle to School on.

The UK is the poor country of Europe as far as investment in infrastructure goes, Electric cars will never even be a possibility for 100 % of the next generation let alone in my lifetime.

Electric cars is all lip service from the Politian's seeing to be green for the vote.

They are trialing the electric scooters on the Isle of Wight, see them going around at a fair speed, could not believe that they are using the road, it's bad enough when you come across a cyclist weaving let alone with these Scooters.

Politicians should concentrate on better public transport and infrastructure for safe cycling to reduce cars on the road instead of jumping on the green bandwaggon.,

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cycle paths... hmmm.... I'm a reasonably fit bloke apart form shagged knees and back... and on tuesday I tried cycling to the gym/pool for my weekly workout... no cycle paths, main roads only... nearly ended up as a bonnet ornament due to the potholes and state of the roads... knees are so bad I had to get off and walk it on the 2 steep hills to the gym... cycle paths...? Not viable hereabouts...? Roads...? No effing way,
Yesterday I went to the gym again for an aquafit class and took the bike... the one with the engine this time... I may get an ebike in the future for popping to my local club lake, the odd bit of shopping, or the gym... keep the car (a Diesel) for longer journeys

62tucker

Site Supporter
When I went to school your Mam might of took You in the infants. When you went to junior school you went in your own or with mates. And definitely at senior school.
I past a senior school
At 3pm yesterday and must of been 40
Cars parked on paths both sides causing chaos. I went to same school in 1976 and my kids also and can’t remember me ever picking them up. Majority probably unnecessary trips.
Also on terrace streets. Anything to stop kids unplugging cars or is there a lock.
Or adults using someone else wire.

TiggerXFM

It makes me wonder how they are going to produce all the elecrtic which will be needed for all the vehicles?
They will prolly make more carbon output making the leccy!
Then there is the question of disposing of the worn out batteries?

I'm curious why tgey can't make a car which charges itself as it moves. The wheels turning must be able to generate electric?
I would imagine they already have cars which can regenerate themselves as they move, but they want to sell the others first.

Then there is hydro power....?

Warden

Site Supporter
to answer one or two of the questions raised, electric cars can re-charge the batteries to some extent, nothing new about that trains were doing it 60 years ago however no doubt somebodies law will explain why they cannot produce as much as they use? as for the house with multi cars at the moment they all have to go to the petrol station polluting the atmosphere while they do with electric cars some can charge at home (a lot cheaper) the others can go to a charging point (needs to be a lot more) win win for everyone lol, a car being charged cannot be unplugged, most cars being charged at home do it during the off peak (cheaper) period when there is a surplus of energy I am sure the grid will cope.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hands up for an electric car? Power has been off for 100 000s of homes since last night.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I
Hands up for an electric car? Power has been off for 100 000s of homes since last night.
I said the same thing today, how many people wouldn’t have made it to work today, cause there cars weren’t charged up, it will be chaos in years to come

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I'm curious why tgey can't make a car which charges itself as it moves. The wheels turning must be able to generate electric?
I would imagine they already have cars which can regenerate themselves as they move, but they want to sell the others first.

All petrol and diesel cars charge as they go along, the alternator charges the battery which gives power to lights, They should be looking at ways to convert existing cars into hybrids.

HawkerMan

It makes me wonder how they are going to produce all the elecrtic which will be needed for all the vehicles?
They will prolly make more carbon output making the leccy!
Then there is the question of disposing of the worn out batteries?