Electric Vehicles - the truth about, Channel 4

Robwooly

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get away from the factory farm that was polluting the local river

Trouble is it got run over by a silent electric vehicle championed by selectively 'green' governments

Why did the chicken even bother?

HawkerMan

I heard an interesting interview with someone from JCB (I think) about electric vehicles. JCB are busy looking at hydrogen since the electric versions of diggers, farm tractors and alike are not really practical given the usage patterns, for example can you imagine needing to use a combine harvester all day but with a battery life of 5 hours... These types of vehicles are rarely talked about when it comes to EV, but they represent a really important use case.

I'm not sure electric will be the solution to everything and I could see some diesel engine in use for a long time to come.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
With these electric vehicles, can you hear them coming? I would have thought it would make crossing the road more dangerous.

Can't watch that documentary on catch up at my end unfortunately.
They have electric buses going down the pedestrianised are of Oxford city centre. Bloody nuicances.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm imagining the future and when vehicles will get even quieter, and our cities resemble Tron or something from science fiction, they will have to build in noise to make them safer. Heard on the news the other day, all new buildings to have charging points by next year, still a logistical nightmare for reasons mentioned.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm imagining the future and when vehicles will get even quieter, and our cities resemble Tron or something from science fiction, they will have to build in noise to make them safer. Heard on the news the other day, all new buildings to have charging points by next year, still a logistical nightmare for reasons mentioned.
No more hi- rise flats then...😛

62tucker

Site Supporter
Electric bus around our way. Sounds like someone doing 30mph in 1st hear. Horrible noise.

templegater

Site Supporter
Will small independent garages be able to repair electric vehicles in the future so at a guess it will be dealer only and dealer only prices.
Anyone had a repair on a electric vehicle. ?
Old work mate had a Nissan Leaf on a lease scheme from work. He hit a deer head on early one morning and never seen that car again. They just gave him another car.
I dont think so tucker. Watched a programme last week on the new electric mini.
The hybrids were 200VDC and electric only 300-400VDC . This is serious voltage levels i wouldnt want a shock off one. Be a new type of auto electrician required rather than a mechanic.
Still need suspension and brakes doing though i suppose.

grey

Site Supporter
Ultimately the life span of diesel vehicles will determine the supply of diesel I'd have thought.
If all manufacturers stopped producing diesel vehicles today, in 10-15 years time they would all be scrapped or heading that way and if the only alternative was EV then within 10-15 years they'd be the norm, however they'd also have to phase out petrol.

The cost of electric vehicles however is still prohibitive for many, new and used vehicles cost much more than the equivalent diesel/petrol models and that will slow down the uptake.
The governing of diesel supplies is restricted by the crude oil refining process and is also dictated by the demand for other petroleum based products.

Crude oil when refined gives out about:
50% petrol
25% diesel
10% jet fuel
5% LPG
the rest made up from waxes, lubricants and asphalt. These percentages are unchangeable.

A higher demand on any one of these products, creates an unwanted glut of the others.

Therefore our use of all oil based fuels and products must be reduced at the same rate.

As I see it, the sticking point on reducing our use of oil based products, is the world's reliance on jet fuel. We may find that whist jet fuel demands remain high, we will be forced to use the unwanted petrol and diesel surplus also created in the refinery process - if we don't, another country certainly will take advantage of the supply of cheap unwanted fuel, which completely defeats the objective.

If we are completely successful in totally eliminating our use of oil based fuels as planned, this also means we lose access to the useful by-products of the refinery process too, such as lubricants, asphalt and heating oil too.

So start stocking up on grease, make sure the council are up-to-date filling pot-holes, and plan to get that narrowboat converted if you want to be prepared for the inevitable rush and panic that's yet to be predicted.

Last edited:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Will small independent garages be able to repair electric vehicles in the future so at a guess it will be dealer only and dealer only prices.
Anyone had a repair on a electric vehicle. ?
Old work mate had a Nissan Leaf on a lease scheme from work. He hit a deer head on early one morning and never seen that car again. They just gave him another car.
Pure electric vehicles shouldn't really want any repairs. The only moving part is the motor. Brakes etc are the same on any vehicle - but I'm not sure how the vacuum for the brake servo is created.

Warden

Site Supporter
as possibly the only poster (so far) who actually has one have to say cannot fault it ,yes the public charging system needs some serious additions to their numbers (I have a home charger in my garage) costs about £3.50 a charge needs charging twice a week (overnight) against £50/60 per week on diesel maybe more now have not bought any for quite a while, my wife only the other day said we seem to have a lot of money in our current account since we got the Electric car,£300 to £400 a year against £3000+ a year on diesel the mileage range I can see would be problematic for some users for me its not and it is improving each year there is a newer version of my car that does 100 miles more per charge, servicing costs are less no road tax (at the moment) As I have said before they are not for everybody (yet) but very few people that have them say they prefer the ICE ones.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Just bought a hybrid, in theory I should cut my petrol bill by half at least. I think I have done the right thing if not well it`s
only money.

I can honestly say I have never used a mobile phone whilst driving, no argument they are a distraction. So why are these `info`
screens allowed? Can`t blank it or turn it off and it insists on giving me information about what the car is doing, poxy thing.

Arry

Site Supporter
@Warden How does winter affect the mileage with lights, heater, etc on more... also low temps affect the batteries,as cold batteries are much less efficient

D

Deleted member 23692

Pure electric vehicles shouldn't really want any repairs. The only moving part is the motor. Brakes etc are the same on any vehicle - but I'm not sure how the vacuum for the brake servo is created.
Vacuum pump the same as it is on a diesel but driven off the electric motor.

I’ve already got the insulated tools required in my toolbox to work on them, we are beginning to see them. There’s plenty of training courses on offer for us to get up to speed with the technology and keep safe, yes it’s a new bunch of challenges for us, but that isn’t unusual if you look at how much electronics is now stuffed into a vehicle.

JLK

I don't think I could afford one. Where does that leave me and others like me.
Also. If electricity is going to power the future. Why has my electricity doubled in price?

Arry

Site Supporter
I don't think I could afford one. Where does that leave me and others like me.
Also. If electricity is going to power the future. Why has my electricity doubled in price?
Because of demand... more demand draws higher prices... which is why I asked the question, how are countries going to produce the power needed...???

I can see in the future electric bills being on a par with fossil fuel prices if a better electricity infrastructure is not developed

JLK

So why have we got more demand on electricity now than say last year or the year before that or the year before that.
Purely because people are driving around in electric cars? Or because the population has increased in this country and more people are using it, Brexit or some

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
More people are moving away from gas - new builds, rental properties, ovens and hobs, even home heating

Corn Master

Certainly a sector to buy shares in tho. Missed the boat with Tesla but NIO as an example and charging points like Blink and Charge Point worth a punt