Electric Vehicles - the truth about, Channel 4

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did anyone watch this?

"Just watched Despatches on channel 4 where they have proven that modern diesels emit far less of all emissions including VOCs than petrol or hybrid vehicles. They also went into battery degradation and charger use suggesting to keep batteries charged and used between 20% and 80% which effectively rules out 40% of capacity as usable if you want the batteries to last more than a few years. So if you buy an EV with a claimed 200 mile range what they really mean is 120 miles. At any one time in the UK up to 30% of chargers are faulty and a further 10% are unusable due to compatibility issues or simply being in use or blocked by other vehicles."

John Step

Site Supporter
I think they are trying to scare the whatsits out of us. Anyone with an estimate how long diesel will be on sale in UK.
I just think of the thousands of lorries, builders vans, delivery vans.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ultimately the life span of diesel vehicles will determine the supply of diesel I'd have thought.
If all manufacturers stopped producing diesel vehicles today, in 10-15 years time they would all be scrapped or heading that way and if the only alternative was EV then within 10-15 years they'd be the norm, however they'd also have to phase out petrol.

The cost of electric vehicles however is still prohibitive for many, new and used vehicles cost much more than the equivalent diesel/petrol models and that will slow down the uptake.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The range is also affected by load. Much less with four people and luggage I am told.

I still believe EVs will not be truly useful until we have fully autonomous vehicles and we give up traditional car ownership. Instead we will subscribe to a taxi like app that supplies a vehicle on demand.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I heard an interesting interview with someone from JCB (I think) about electric vehicles. JCB are busy looking at hydrogen since the electric versions of diggers, farm tractors and alike are not really practical given the usage patterns, for example can you imagine needing to use a combine harvester all day but with a battery life of 5 hours... These types of vehicles are rarely talked about when it comes to EV, but they represent a really important use case.

I'm not sure electric will be the solution to everything and I could see some diesel engine in use for a long time to come.

John Step

Site Supporter
The range is also affected by load. Much less with four people and luggage I am told.

I still believe EVs will not be truly useful until we have fully autonomous vehicles and we give up traditional car ownership. Instead we will subscribe to a taxi like app that supplies a vehicle on demand.
You can just imagine . " I need a taxi to take me to the Nene with all my fishing gear."
"Yes sir, but please be aware the driver of our non automated taxis will not venture on gravel tracks. Also be aware that the computer in automated vehicles do not recognise any unmade roads and you will have to carry your gear the last half mile.
Please bear in mind there is a cleaning surcharge when carrying anything dirty,muddy or smell. Have a good day sir"
:eek:

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
Not sure re electric vehicles as I’m a dinosaur, I don’t have one and know next to nothing about them. Amazon being a prime example, they use their fork lift trucks 24/7 so they have lithium ion batteries that require no maintenance and can be charged empty to full on your half hour dinner break. How that kind of technology can/could be applied to modern cars or if it’s already in use in the motor industry, I don’t know.

Robwooly

They'll get the techonology to work eventually but they'll never get the logistics, we are an old country with old roads and old buildings. How can you charge a car in an old town centre that was built millennia ago, listed buildings, protected views or any town for that matter with terraced houses, green verges, crowded car parks etc etc?

Sure we can take it to a charging station and leave it there for half a day but we saw what happened the other month when a couple of fuel truck drivers went off sick. The politicians are all scrambing over each other to get the green vote and appease loons who are sitting on motorways without a plan.

John Step

Site Supporter
The politicians are all scrambing over each other to get the green vote and appease loons who are sitting on motorways without a plan.
Talking about this there is a clip on Youtube by the former president of greenpeace on these people. Not very keen on them to say the least. (sorry I dont know how to copy videos)

62tucker

Site Supporter
And a lot of new owners will be finding Out the mileage will be less when they put the heater on this week.
Ps. Nissan building another massive battery plat atm.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Talking about this there is a clip on Youtube by the former president of greenpeace on these people. Not very keen on them to say the least. (sorry I dont know how to copy videos)
Just copy the URL (web address at the top of the Youtube page) and paste into the box that comes up when you click "media" in the menu above your post.

YouTube.JPG

Media.JPG

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Another issue is... if everyone is driving EV's... what is producing the extra power to charge em.. christ we struggle as it is... the extra draw on the national grid will be phenomenal.. nuclear? Solar? Wind farm? Hydro? A combination of all?

At the moment, its all very well setting out grand plans to go leccy by 20-whenever, but if the charging and power supply infrastructure ain't there, petrol and diesel are gonna be around for a lot longer than you think

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
As regards electric vehicles. I did a tour of the General Motors factory, Detroit, in 1975. They were banging on about electric vehicles then. I remember asking why, if electric was so great, we were being driven around in a diesel bus. We don't seem to have got far in nearly 50 years.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Just click share on YouTube clip.
Click copy link.
Past here

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
With these electric vehicles, can you hear them coming? I would have thought it would make crossing the road more dangerous.

Can't watch that documentary on catch up at my end unfortunately.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Will small independent garages be able to repair electric vehicles in the future so at a guess it will be dealer only and dealer only prices.
Anyone had a repair on a electric vehicle. ?
Old work mate had a Nissan Leaf on a lease scheme from work. He hit a deer head on early one morning and never seen that car again. They just gave him another car.