Electric vehicle for fishing.

frothy

Ok, so now fuel is costing me 500+ a month, I need to think electric!

Have had estates for the last twenty years, now looking at an electric alternative. Has anyone already gone down this route?
I’m struggling to find anything suitable in terms of space, my last two cars have been a 5 series estate and a superb estate, both big load luggers and I don’t think I could cope with down sizing to much.

Other than a van ( I really need it to also be the ”family“ car) does anyone have any suggestions?

adriang

Site Supporter
I think the MG5 is the largest EV that is currently available. I had a look at one in a dealer and it looked OK and the YouTube reviews seem positive. I know somebody who has a Hybrid MG, and they are very positive about the quality.
I was living with a Jag iPace the past year, I totally get the EV thing, but to make it work, you need a charger at home. Public charging has improved a lot, even in the past year, but depending on them 100% is still painful.

Stanley

Currently you only really have a couple of options. Skoda ENYAQ is a huge car inside when you drop the rear seats. The issue with all electric cars at the moment is delivery schedule. Most are 9-12 months delivery unless you are prepared to pay extra to have one now ! Kia have also just announced an Kia EV Niro which if your quick with an order should be September. That’s a smaller EV but still a reasonable size if you regularly go on your own. MG also do an estate car and expect both Audi and BMW to follow in 2023/2024. If you are regularly doing 500 miles a month and motor way miles the dream would still be a 530D MHT x drive touring. I have recently returned a 520D MHT touring and missing it already!

Browner

Site Supporter
The problem with electric is the cost of charging it is almost as much as full. I would suggest a self charging hybrid. I love mine. £45 to fill it up and 450 from it. At times getting 65+ to the gallon.

frothy

Currently you only really have a couple of options. Skoda ENYAQ is a huge car inside when you drop the rear seats. The issue with all electric cars at the moment is delivery schedule. Most are 9-12 months delivery unless you are prepared to pay extra to have one now ! Kia have also just announced an Kia EV Niro which if your quick with an order should be September. That’s a smaller EV but still a reasonable size if you regularly go on your own. MG also do an estate car and expect both Audi and BMW to follow in 2023/2024. If you are regularly doing 500 miles a month and motor way miles the dream would still be a 530D MHT x drive touring. I have recently returned a 520D MHT touring and missing it already!
My current drive is the 535d which is a dream to drive and the mpg is bad considering, at 1500 miles a month+ I’m giving to much money back to the government 😩

frothy

The problem with electric is the cost of charging it is almost as much as full. I would suggest a self charging hybrid. I love mine. £45 to fill it up and 450 from it. At times getting 65+ to the gallon.
I’d get free charging at work vs a £125 a week diesel, it’s what’s forcing my hand really.

adriang

Site Supporter
I'd second this.. Mrs has a RAV4, I use it more than she does.

D

Deleted member 23692

My current drive is the 535d which is a dream to drive and the mpg is bad considering, at 1500 miles a month+ I’m giving to much money back to the government 😩
Bmw 530e touring, all the luxury and space of your current vehicle with bang up to date hybrid driving.

Shadrack

What car do you have? This is the way I’m looking at going with my next car. We do long trips pretty frequently to go go visit family or go hiking and I haven’t seen any plug in car which offers the type of range that would allow us to get from Nottinghamshire to the Yorkshire Dales and back on one charge.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen a single electric car that I actually like the look of. I’m not a fan of the styling of any of them at the minute.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
loved my Kodiaq and had acres of boot space, if that is anything to go by the Enyaq has great review for best electric SUV so may fit the bill but not looked at the dimensions.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Wait until the majority are driving EV's, then watch the Government tax the arse off them. I'm sticking with my diesel Passat estate, 60+ to the gallon. How much fuel could I buy with the £30k + I would have to spend on an EV?

Browner

Site Supporter
What car do you have? This is the way I’m looking at going with my next car. We do long trips pretty frequently to go go visit family or go hiking and I haven’t seen any plug in car which offers the type of range that would allow us to get from Nottinghamshire to the Yorkshire Dales and back on one charge.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen a single electric car that I actually like the look of. I’m not a fan of the styling of any of them at the minute.
I have a Hyundai Kona Premium. It fantastic. Fully loaded, full leather seating, upgraded music system with its own sub woofer, heated everything, electric everything. £28k ish I think. I do 30-40k miles a year so spend a lot of time sat in it. Mine is a company car of my choice and to make it even better the tax is low for BIK. I was so impressed that we bought one for my wife.

Browner

Site Supporter
Bmw 530e touring, all the luxury and space of your current vehicle with bang up to date hybrid driving.
I’ve heard that once the charge has gone, the mpg is shocking. Some said as low as 28mpg. I can’t confirm this but one of our guys had a PHEV SUV and talked about similar issues. Don’t know how true it is.

JonS1982

I drive a Tesla Model 3… price wise vs the Diesal I was in (40mpg) I’m saving 30-65% of the cost over 3 years of ownership. That obviously depends on mileage, I’ll do about 100k miles in 3 years.
If I had an EV electric tariff at home I’d be nearer the 65%, the 30% is my standard tariff. 65% is the overnight charging when I’m away (work electric on cheap overnight rates paid at cost)

Electric prices are rising but still a significant saving to be had depending on when you want your money back by and how many miles you do.

As for fishing, seat box squeezes in the back door as boot isn’t deep enough. Everything else in the boot and the cars long enough the rod bag stays behind me rather that poking through into the front.

D

Deleted member 23692

I’ve heard that once the charge has gone, the mpg is shocking. Some said as low as 28mpg. I can’t confirm this but one of our guys had a PHEV SUV and talked about similar issues. Don’t know how true it is.
I heard that about the Mitsubishi phev, but when I talked to a couple of techs and other owners, that’s only true if you drive it with your foot in the carpet all the time.