Electric Vehicle Charging ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
As we are soon to save the planet by using electrically operated vehicular transport, rather the the good old internal combustion engine

there begs the question of where do you re-charge the batteries of the said vehicles

whilst I quite understand that there will possibly be charging points in certain areas, such as garages and car parks, and maybe at places of work, supermarkets

and those with driveways, off street parking and garages on thier properties

where and how, will those who live in terraces and no off street facilities, charge thier vehicles

are we to see extention leads snaking across pavements or hung from upstairs windows leading to the vehicles ?

what if you cant park your transport anywhere near your property or home (as is the problems at this time)

I can see much mischief and maybe spurious claims as to falls caused by trailing leads etc

does anyone know ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
All new houses now have the sockets fitted on or near the Garage that is turned on in the house.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
There’s some new houses being built on the old Seacroft Hospital land some of them ain’t got a garage but they have a charge outlet.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Technology will win out, charging pads in the road....... not in my lifetime though

Arch

Site Supporter
I shouldn't worry about running leads everywhere, the cables in the ground feeding your houses aren't big enough to supply all the extra Electricity required to charge up all the cars. Some of them have been in situ close to a hundred years and never been upgraded.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
With coal fired and nuclear power stations going off line, not quite sure how we will power all these new electric trains and cars....

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Reversing the destruction of the rain forests will do the most good.

I feel the good old petrol engine will be around for a long time yet, much of the `green` talk from politicians is bollo.

Leylandii get a lot of bad press but I read that they take in large amounts of carbon so perhaps a few forests of them will do
some good.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
All new houses now have the sockets fitted on or near the Garage that is turned on in the house.

the question really relates to existing housing stock

the rows of terrace houses that have no dedicated parking or off street

Wise Owl

Account Locked
the question really relates to existing housing stock

the rows of terrace houses that have no dedicated parking or off street

I see yer point, there will be some clever Dick invent summat to Bluetooth it from yer house ?

johng19

me@home.com
I very much doubt, in most areas the electric grid would support the the amount need for cars. Personally I think it an absolute joke. Surely it would be better to refine the types of engine we have. Plus if we in this country stopped using all cars tomorrow it would not make one bit of difference.

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The French social commentator part time scientist and general pain in the bum Voltaire tried to extract electricity from lightning many
years ago but gave up after he and his chums almost got fried. Because the God fearers said that only the man upstairs could create
power he was run out of town as a heretic.

He had a seafaring chum that noticed in warm tropical waters a skate like fish could somehow `shock` smaller fish before scoffing them.
Intrigued he caught a couple of the fish and dissected them, he noticed they had gill like membranes that he {correctly} thought were
responsible for the shocks and he brought these back to blighty in preservative, I believe they are now part of the Royal Society museum.
Some years after Voltaire died hidden in his desk {he lived in Wandsworth I believe} were found plans for a rudimentary battery based
on the fishes `apparatus`. It consisted of alternate layers of wet and dry brown paper and when the contraption was built as per the plans
it gave a shock with enough power to push a man over.

I may have got some of the above wrong and I can`t be arsed to google but people have looked at the power of lightning since the
stone age.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Solutions to charging will be found because there is so much money to be made from it all.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are charging points chargeable?

Genuine question