Elastics

NathanP27

Probably going to use a hybrid elastic.

Started my fishing again and bought a 2nd hand tsk MAP 13m. Love the pole, and will certainly be looking to upgrade to 16m.

However, I have decided that I want to change the elastics in them.

I think there is 4 or 5 top kits all with pulla's.

I mainly fish my club waters, and commercials like Blakehall and Cudmore.

So in respect of my top kits, what would you all reccemend, I think 2 margin top kits, a mid line top kit, far top kit? Then, if you think that's sensible what size elastics in?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Can o' worms I'm afraid. Everyone has their own choice. I tend to be odd man out in that I use heavier elastics than many/most. But I do what works for me and I am comfortable with. It may not suit others.

I have never quite got the idea of putting different grades in various topkits hence I stick to one grade in all. My point being that I cannot predict what I am going to hook next so I choose an elastic that gives me the ability to control the larger fish but still land the smaller. Today for example I have had fish from razor blade skimmers & small roach to near seven pound carp ( and a two pound crucian). All on the same elastic. That elastic was Nick Gilbert dual core 12-14.

I tend to use 14 solids in Summer and 12 in Winter. Experimenting this year with Nick's dual core.

In my margin pole (used Summer only) I also use 14 solid and have some 16 just in case I come up against some larger than average fish. But the 14 is used 99% of the time.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve used a lot of hybrids, based on your question I would suggest:

2x 13 Preston hybrid - great for all sized carp, still comes out on good skimmers
1x 17 Preston hybrid - big fish margin elastic
If you do small carp f1 type venues I’d put 9 Preston hybrid in the other 2, if not 11 is a good all round choice

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I generally use;

6-8 Hollow. Covers Silvers, Skimmer, Bream, Small F1. This'll also get in carp but it's not ideal.
8-10 Hollow Cold / Coming into Summer F1 / Small Carp Venues
10-12 (Make 8-10 Redundant) when it starts warming up. Reliable for everything IMO.
14-16 bigger carp dominated venues.
18-20 Margins. Seriously. If you're going to fish margins, Don't faff around with light elastic.

I know these are hollowing, But there isn't enough difference between Hybrid and Hollow to warrant a change IMO.

I do a lot of silver fishing, Lots of bream so I generally use 2x 6-8's.

If you're fishing for Carp / F1's on commercials I'd have -

1x 8-10 (Just incase you're bumping fish, Will also be better if on the off chance you're targeting silvers / bream).
2x 10-12 (Primary mid / long lines)
1x 14-16 (for when targeting bigger, more rowdy carp)
1x 18-20 (Margins)

NathanP27

I generally use;

6-8 Hollow. Covers Silvers, Skimmer, Bream, Small F1. This'll also get in carp but it's not ideal.
8-10 Hollow Cold / Coming into Summer F1 / Small Carp Venues
10-12 (Make 8-10 Redundant) when it starts warming up. Reliable for everything IMO.
14-16 bigger carp dominated venues.
18-20 Margins. Seriously. If you're going to fish margins, Don't faff around with light elastic.

I know these are hollowing, But there isn't enough difference between Hybrid and Hollow to warrant a change IMO.

I do a lot of silver fishing, Lots of bream so I generally use 2x 6-8's.

If you're fishing for Carp / F1's on commercials I'd have -

1x 8-10 (Just incase you're bumping fish, Will also be better if on the off chance you're targeting silvers / bream).
2x 10-12 (Primary mid / long lines)
1x 14-16 (for when targeting bigger, more rowdy carp)
1x 18-20 (Margins)
Thanks for that!!

tedstriker

Site Supporter
Unless you are match fishing and need to get the fish in as quickly as possible use a lighter elastic and have some fun with them, I've started using hybrid and the pink from knd 11-14 equivalent 10-12 from other places is a good elastic for pretty much everything, landed a 13lb carp on it but took about 10 minutes but also landed small roach and skimmers

NathanP27

Unless you are match fishing and need to get the fish in as quickly as possible use a lighter elastic and have some fun with them, I've started using hybrid and the pink from knd 11-14 equivalent 10-12 from other places is a good elastic for pretty much everything, landed a 13lb carp on it but took about 10 minutes but also landed small roach and skimmers
Yeah im hoping to start next year!

rudd

Site Supporter
Quick question, is a warn water and furniture polish ok to clean said pole with?
Warm water and car shampoo probably better.
I have a quantity of garbolino carbon cleaner - no clue whats in it.

rudd

Site Supporter
Probably going to use a hybrid elastic.

Started my fishing again and bought a 2nd hand tsk MAP 13m. Love the pole, and will certainly be looking to upgrade to 16m.

However, I have decided that I want to change the elastics in them.

I think there is 4 or 5 top kits all with pulla's.

I mainly fish my club waters, and commercials like Blakehall and Cudmore.

So in respect of my top kits, what would you all reccemend, I think 2 margin top kits, a mid line top kit, far top kit? Then, if you think that's sensible what size elastics in?
Is it four or five? Surely you know how many kits come with a pole you bought?
Back to question, which line do you fish most?
TBH four kits. 1 Margin 1 shallow and two for everything else, one carp one silvers.

NathanP27

TBH four kits. 1 Margin 1 shallow and two for everything else, one carp one silvers.
It comes with 4. Ive only used it twice since having it and only had it properly tonight.

Im only starting back pole fishing so just getting used to it again.

NathanP27

Id say mid and margins.

NathanP27

What would you reccemend for the armoury you have just suggested?

NathanP27

When with ng ultracore in 2x10-12, 1x12-14 and a 16-18 for a margin line. Figured the 12-14 could also cover a margin line too.