Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbenson

Account Locked
Will be shortly taking delivery of a new pole with:

3 match kits
2 power kits
2 pulla kits

I generally fish gravel pits, and commercial. The pits can be strange; it's generally small silverfish fishing (roach up to 12oz), but must be able to handle bonus fish as these often turn up (bream/tench/perch up to 4lb) and are match winners. The commercials is normally open water/far bank fish, average 4-5lb up to 9lb max. Also, I have a margin pole (beastmaster, drennan red 18-20), so that area on commercials is covered. At the moment I've managed on my main pole with just two different elastics; drennan green 6-8, and drennan pink 14-16, although sometimes i might be undergunned on the 14-16; only just started using a pulla bung on those top kits.

My initial thoughts were to do the following;

1 x Middy 4-6 solid (match kit) for light silvers
2 x Drennan 6-8 hollow (match kit) for general silvers

2 x drennan 14-16 hollow (power kit) for heavy carping
2 x drennan 10-12 hollow (pulla kits) for heavy silvers and light carping

Any advances? I don't mind changing to other elastic brands if its worth it. Is 14-16 too light for heavier carp (4-6lb)? I thought the pulla kits would be better on a "lighter" carp elastic so I can use them properly as intended.

Rather than 14-16 hollow, should I use a solid so that I don't get the run around on non-pulla kit? Or should I just use drennan pulla kits on the other tops?

Christ, it's a minefield...(and I'm going stonfo not dacron! Internal bushes on the match kits, external on the power/pulla kits...I'm going mad...)

Last edited:

slappy2

haha i have 2 for match 4-6 and d4
3 top kits with hollow 11
1 top kit with h13 and 1 top with h15
does whatever i need pal!

find h11 does 80% of my fishing aswell!
use preston as cheaper but i used to use ALOT latex natural colour maver sensas stuff!

jcbenson

Account Locked
Have just noticed that drennan yellow is 10-12, not 8-10, so I'd have that in the pulla's...which I guess is equivalent to preston 11 ;)

woolavy

middy hi viz solids for me, (i think these are the ratings) 4-6 in 2 match kits, 10-12 in 2 pulla kits for skimmer if bonus carp expected, 14-16 in 2 power kits, and a 8-10 in the last match kit for bagging silvers or expecting more bream/tench etc.

jcbenson

Account Locked
This is a bit of a south-west love-in isn't it? Arrr, guys, I love you too ;)

Or maybe we are the only ones who need help with elastic...but good to see we're all singing from the same hymn sheet!

Last edited:

slappy2

haha Jc,

We ALL need help,espically trying bag loads carp from ridgeway that day :-(

Still would like to fish it again!

solids are good tho,used them for years just make sure CUT back top kits enough!

jcbenson

Account Locked
I've got 6 club matches there this year slappy, first is 20th may. Definitely need 50lb+ to win it, that was just a weird, weird day.

Browner

Site Supporter
At last another person who uses Drennan elatics. I was starting to think I was the only one. Maybe it's a wiltshire thing!

woolavy

i used to use the kamasan stuff, but for value the middy seems brilliant, and slimmer than the kamasan stuff too.

Never used hollows or hydros to comment, or pullas for that matter, but have 2 pulla kits rigged up for a couple waters later in the year.

slappy2

i used to use kam years ago!

just change every so often suppose,

lee ya know ya want to try some hollow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.