Elasticating/pole.advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Johnson

when cutting back pole what advice has anybody got,on which tool to
use. Do I use a file, knife or hack-saw? Bare in mind it is a very expensive pole so I need to be extemely careful. I have been advised to use a file.

Please help me. icon_smile_sad.gif

Cheers beer-toast1.gif

BJicon_smile_sad.gif

BJ

Polepot

Poles
Hi BJ

When I bought my last pole the shop recommended a hacksaw.

However, I got a friend to do the first elastication for me and he used a stanley knife blade - brand new. Which is the method I used, be carefull you need to roll the section so you are cutting around and not through.

For this reason my vote is for the blade, which is the method I have seen used in Angling shops.

There seams to be so many ideas on this one - somerone is bound to disagree.

Poles

dave dolly

Hi brian,you can use a small hacksaw or a very sharp stanley knife to cut with,i tend to use the stanley knife and twist the pole section round as i do it doing a bit at a time until i have cut all the way through, the twisting stops the carbon from splintering as it could if you put all the pressure in one place on top and press it down until it goes all the way through.You must also make sure you cut plenty off so that you can get a decent size ptfe on the end this makes the elastic run out of the pole far smoother than if you only put a small one on,this is due to the larger hole for the elastic to run through and also because the tip will be stiffer enabling the elastic to work properly rather than rubbing on the inside of the pole.I cut about 2ft off my diawa 510 and the elastic works like a dream,you could start by practicing on the first inch or two both with the hacksaw and then the knife to see which method suits you best and then take off an inch or two at a time until you get to were the ptfe fits.Once you have done the first tip any other top sets can be measured against the first one and cut at the same point saving time and also making sure all the top sets are exactly the same length.

martin.

Account Locked
hi BJ
i have to agree with the other replys stanley blade.
but i wouldnt say how much to cut off as i dont know what elastic
your fitting .with my diawa 221 in the match top 3s i done a 2 & A 4
lacy & didnt cut them back on power top 2s idone 2 with 10 lacy
without cutting back 1 each 14 & 16 lacys & only cut 12" off
so as you can see it is different lenghs dependant on pole & eventop sect how much to cut back

tight lines.
martin.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi BJ,
Yep new Stanley blade every time,i also put a wrap of masking tape around the area i'm going to cut to stop any chance of splintering.
It's a question of gently scoring as opposed to putting to much downward pressure which could crush the section.
After make sure you remove any sharp edges of carbon with some fine grade wet/dry paper or an emery board
Just make sure you trim off a bit at a time,you can always take a bit more off but you can't put it back on.
I never put an elastic larger than a 12 through my top kits so they are all fitted with bushes to fit a 14 elastic and trimmed to the same length.
I also trim the cupping kit to the same length to ensure accurate feeding.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

dirk

Site Supporter
Hi brian I use a hack-saw but i cut using the back stroke, I allways cut my sections right back so as they are large enough to fit a bush which takes a sixteen elastic, even if I'm only using a number ten, you'll find that you won't get the elastic sticking inside the tip. Also if you do this with all your top threes or twos they will be all the same length. Which is very usfull, when switching between rigs in the same swim, I hope that made sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.