Elasticating a whip...how much do you need?

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Hello there,
I recently picked up a Tri Cast Trilogy X 8M whip secondhand. The top 3 with the flicktip is long gone, but it came with a couple of top 3s (telescopic) which don't look as if they've been used at all. I was going to maybe get a proper flicktip top3 from TriCast themselves at some point but in the meantime was going to elasticate the ones I've got. Thing is though, on a whip like this where your top3 are telescopic how much elastic would you put in? justthe top 2 or go the whole top3? I was just wondering (hopefully!)what people do. This pole is going to be mainly used for silvers with the occasional decent fish (hopefully!) I wasn'tplanning to use it to chase big carp in the margins or anything.What would you recommend? Thanksfor any advice.
Jonny

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Normally you would only elasticate one or two maximum depending on the length of the 1/2 combination if its for silvers.

frankg

Site Supporter
I have the Tricast XS Competition Whip.....On my elasticated tops, I have removed the flick tip of course, and elasticated through the top 2. When collapsing them down, you have to pull the elastic out and then shut them down, to avoid the elastic bunching up inside.
One tip...you can buy both types of spare top kits (top 2 for elastication or the full flick tip top kit)....buy the flick tip top kit, as when you remove the flick tip you have the top two for elasticating and then you have a spare flick tip. :)
Hope all that makes sense :D
Benwick Angling or Weston Tackle should be able to sort you out with spares.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice there Frank, one top kit it has come with is bang on...the other seems to be a combination of something else, partly TriCast but isn't quite the same size and I can't use it(won't fit the end of the 5 take apart sections) so I'm not exactly sure what's gone on there but that's what you get when you buy secondhand I suppose. I'll do the top 2 and give it try out this weekend..the pole feels great to handle..I'd always wanted a tricast and saw it cheap so thought I'd take a punt. Thanks once again.

frankg

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice there Frank, one top kit it has come with is bang on...the other seems to be a combination of something else, partly TriCast but isn't quite the same size and I can't use it(won't fit the end of the 5 take apart sections) so I'm not exactly sure what's gone on there but that's what you get when you buy secondhand I suppose. I'll do the top 2 and give it try out this weekend..the pole feels great to handle..I'd always wanted a tricast and saw it cheap so thought I'd take a punt. Thanks once again.
DB.....The Tricast is a lovely bit of kit either as a whip or elasticated as a slim pole. I've got 3 elasticated top kits with Middy Hi-viz solid 4-6, 6-8 and 8-10, along with two flick tip tops.
If you've just got the one elasticated top, I'd edge towards the 6-8 solid....that'll land a fair range of fish.
Don't worry about making contact with good fish on either top....it can handle them with no problem. You can get a 1m extension to take it to 9m but that'll cost you another £100.
It was a good buy and you'll appreciate that when you use it at the weekend.....as long as the fish come out to play of course :)

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Ah good cheers...I picked up some Matrix Slik Solid in an 8 on Saturday, that should do it then.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
That should be fine (y)
Hello again Frank, I used the pole for the first time today...what an ace bit of gear...just quality. Mainly skimmers up to 1lb but handled a couple of carp up to about 5lb no problem when needed to. If I was fishing for carp I'd use my other pole as it's designed for it but it had no trouble whatsoever....looking forward to trying it on a natural venue I fish for roach and bream..for 150quid am made up. No 8 elastic worked fine. Cheers

frankg

Site Supporter
Hi DB.....knew you'd like it :)
As you found out, it'll handle a wide range of fish. As you say, if you're targetting carp use your other pole, but you can have confidence that the Tricast won't let you down if you contact bigger fish!
The 8 elastic should give you plenty of scope either way.
You said it was a Trilogy X whip....I take it that it's the Trilogy XS Competition Whip? If it is, the flick tip top kit will cost you about £85. (y)