Elasticating 2&3 on a whip

solwood

Site Supporter
I have an acolyte whip and yesterday was fishing with the no2 elasicated with new KND teal hollow.

An unexpected and unknown on the venue, large koi drifted into the swim and I assumed I had spooked it

Next cast you can guess what i hooked, it took off at rate of knots, was fishing 4m to hand and didnt have time to put on any more sections.

Strangely the elastic gave before hooklink 0.13 or mainline 0.15 so lost the lot

Just wondering if anyone has elasticated the 2 and 3 of a whip or should I just long line with a pole?

Also anyone know how heavy I can go on elastic in the acolyte whip?

IanG1

Site Supporter
More likely the elastic gave way on a knot slipping rather than snap.

richox12

The 2 & 3 are telescopic so packing away would be a bit of a pain if you elasticated both

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I put 12 hollow set pretty tight through the 2 and 3 of both my daiwa tournament whip and the later shakespeare superteam whip for fishing the Wye. I’ve had chub to 6 pounds on that setup, albeit on chopped worm gear.

solwood

Site Supporter
It looks like it went at the dacron, perhaps bottomed out and cut through

Teal is 4-7 closest to drennan silverfush elastic hence why I choose it, no cost saving now though !

Actually it's quite easy dealing with elasticated telescopic sections my old abu had this, you just keep elastic taught!

I have some NG white microbore think I will try that in 2 and 3 I now have a nemesis

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Today I get totally confused about what is a whip and what is a pole. Back in the day a whip was always fished to hand and no elastic, just a flick tip. Poles, even before elastication was invented were longer and either telescopic or take apart but fished with a short line.

Today I regard anything elasticated as a pole, anything fished to hand with a flick tip as a whip. Am I just out of date?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I actually use a whip regularly at a local club water but when the fish start getting to big to swing l go over to a short line, so 4m whip is covered by 7m short line in the same swim.
As it's a system whip it's easy to do.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Today I get totally confused about what is a whip and what is a pole. Back in the day a whip was always fished to hand and no elastic, just a flick tip. Poles, even before elastication was invented were longer and either telescopic or take apart but fished with a short line.

Today I regard anything elasticated as a pole, anything fished to hand with a flick tip as a whip. Am I just out of date?
I don’t think it’s especially important what we’re calling them because there are blurred lines or overlaps ... and always have been.

When I started out a whip was a sub-type of pole, as you describe with flick tip fished to hand.
However, back in those days the long poles were strong enough and flexible enough to be used “Irish style” with power gum and fished to hand. (Daiwa pro carbon, Shimano TPGT for example). I wouldn’t try that with my tournament pro these days ... would be asking for trouble! But margin poles might well be capable of doing that - I’ve seen yank & banks used on the wye as well as black magics.
none Of those were or are marketed as a whip.
Equally ... would any of us call fishing a top kit a whip? Probably not.

however ... the modern whips that have been named on this thread are all excellent with a flick tip, but also capable of fishing to hand with heavy elastic in a scaled down Irish style.

in the end it’s mostly just a choice of shock absorption method ... with flex and flick tip at one end of the spectrum, with stiff pole and elastic at the other. IMO There is a place for hybrid where there is more action in the pole in combination with a heavy elastic.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I must be proper old school. Can someone explain to me why you would feel the need elasticate a whip ? I have whips and I have poles they are designed for two completely different styles of fishing.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
System whips are a bit of both. Not everyone can afford a pole and a bunch of whips. So using a whip top set or a short elastic on the long system whip is the way to go for some , me included. I fish a 3m whip to hand and fish a pole to the same spot. Then on my 2nd top set whip l fish 5m to hand and the full pole to the same spot. So I'm covered for two swims with whip + pole and I've only got to carry one system whip Tricast Excellence 8m

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
System whips are a bit of both. Not everyone can afford a pole and a bunch of whips. So using a whip top set or a short elastic on the long system whip is the way to go for some , me included. I fish a 3m whip to hand and fish a pole to the same spot. Then on my 2nd top set whip l fish 5m to hand and the full pole to the same spot. So I'm covered for two swims with whip + pole and I've only got to carry one system whip Tricast Excellence 8m
How flexible are the top 1's on these system whips ? I am seriously missing something here. You see to me you play a fish on a whip using the ' flick tip '. If there were bigger fish present in the swim then I'd use a pole. The primary aim of a whip was ( back in the day ) to catch small fish quickly. It seems to me that someone has tried re - inventing the wheel here.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi Mick,

I can think of two answers:
1. use to fish ’irish style’ today ... assuming you hadn’t kept your spiral titanium? (Nod to Bob Nudd video in front of the killyhevlin there.). My long whips are slimmer And easier to handle than a margin pole Or my old TPGT. I like the elastic insurance on the Wye when the next fish could be a 3 pound perch or 5 pound chub. it’s also better for swinging 6oz plus fish without “weaving” .... although a cut back flicktip should be as good for that.

2. As Tinca Steve wrote .... to give the option to short line as well as line to hand. my Daiwa whip is not stiff enough to do this properly, but my shakespeare ones are. So on some venues I don’t even carry a long pole as I only need 8 or 9 m.

Last edited:

davej1981

That was always my take on a whip, short fished to hand aimed at speed fishing for bits (sure thats how they used to build up big weights of bleak for eg). Cant get my head round elastic in a whip and adding sections on

solwood

Site Supporter
I have a donkeys old daiwa harrier whip that has a spare top 5 that's hollow so it's not a new thing

I had previously asked about using a pole to hand like a whip. Was advised on this very site that it could prove an expensive breakage as not designed for that

I bought the harrier and liked whip fishing so much I bought the acolyte

Had I been on the flick tip hopefully the hook link would have gone before carbon !

As it was my elastic gave so wont be using that brand again.

A whip is better with the flick tip but there are the odd biggie in there so decided to try with the elasticated top yesterday.

The whip is easier to hide in the boot of the car due to shorter sections and I was trying to travel as light as possible so didnt want 2 poles.

With elastic to hand it was working very well. Not as flicky/whippy but it was comfortable to use !