Elasticated Whip for 10 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket74

Reidy
I'm planning on taking my 10 year old nephew to Cudmore for a day next week. He's only been fishing with me a couple of times before and has a 4m whip he uses on the canal for silvers.

I'm thinking of treating him to something with a bit more backbone that will be suitable for him to use at a commercial.

He's never used a rod and reel before and I can envisage birds nests all day long so I'd rather teach him this skill on the canal when we have more time and he can practice casting and landing smaller fish.

The elasticated Middy 5m whip looks like it will do the trick nicely as it won't be too cumbersome for him to handle.

Does anyone know what elastic it comes with and if anyone has used one of these before I'm keen to hear their views.

Ta, Ian

carlh

middy have quite a few small whips,so not sure which one you are on about ! have you been on the middy website that will tell you what the elastic rating is.

bezz120

Bought 1 a few years ago for a nephew,came with 2 top kits,1 about a 6 an 1 about a 12s elastic(solid)And im sure it came with a couple of ready made rigs and discorger.Cost me about 20.Hes had a lot of good fun on it and its still going strong

rocket74

Reidy
I'm thinking the 5.5m 'Power Carp' would be perfect for him. Nothing on the Middy website about which elastic it comes with.

jim west ham

I bought 1 for my son a couple of years ago. Although they are cheap and quite strong they are fairly heavy and unbalanced. Very top heavy. He would probably be better of with a take apart one so you can shorten it if needed. There is an advert in the anglers mail (mullarkeys) for a shakespeare in to take apart 6m pole for 9.99. I have just bought 2 of theese at 17.00 each eleswhere last week for my 2 nephews. They come ready elsticated but i changed the elastic as it was poor and the bung was just a split ring. (The middy ones use a sea fishing swivel) They come with a rig and discorger and a flick tip. Although still quite top heavy you have the option of taking a section off.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
The middy power carp whips can certainly handle bigger fish than you would think just looking at them. They are value for money.

mattyts

have a look in this weeks anglers mail page 29 theyre selling a 6 metre ready ekasticated whip with 2 rigs and a disgorger

rocket74

Reidy
Thanks - I'm now thinking of either the Middy 6m White Knuckle or the Shakespeare 6m IN2

jim west ham

The white knuckle is a lot better but is a bit more expensive.
Middy have also brought out the white knuckle thriller 8m that got good reviews although this is a bit more expensive again.

bream fisherman

if you don't mind paying a little more the white knuckle is good. comes with two tops. although the heavy elastic is like a tow rope. but my cousin has one and gets on great with it.

rocket74

Reidy
I've opted for the White Knuckle. Think it will last him longer than a cheaper whip and will be easier for him to be able to break the pole down rather than shipping a telescopic one back.

Status
Not open for further replies.