Elastic snaps at the dacron connector

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
I've encountered a problem where I've parted company with my rig while using a moderate grade elastic (8-10), playing a bigger carp and putting pressure on. No problem with heavy grade elastics. The elastic parts at the Dacron connector and it looks as if the Dacron has severed the elastic. I attach the connector using a double overhand knot in the elastic which is threaded through the dacron loop, pulled tight against the knot with a healthy application of saliva and then I push the plastic sleeve into place (this seems to the time-honoured way of doing things).

This isn’t a frequent occurrence, but it has happened on a few occasions. Happily I have retrieved the rig when the lack of tension causes the barbless hook to fall out (the carp always seem to head for the margins). On each occasion, I've checked the remaining elastic and it seems to be in good order.

Anyone got any hot tips for reducing the risk of this happening? Am I just a moron (be gentle)?

pies

Site Supporter
Sleeve the elastic, Des ship has a video on youtube. Will try find it

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
You have to check that end of the elastic every two or three months whatever your method of connection. It gets wet (and stays wet unless you dry it at home) and gets sunlight on it, both of which degrade it.

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
Yep. I do check them regularly. I think that the sleeve will work as it doesn't happen with heavier elastics.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
only ever had the elastic snap at the dacron, that was due to perished elastic, i've always used this method to attach the dacron to the elastic

Nicky Dodds

If it's definitely the Dacron that's damaging the elastic then change the Dacron loop for a loop of 10lb drennan powergum.
And use the method above

JLK

If it's definitely the Dacron that's damaging the elastic then change the Dacron loop for a loop of 10lb drennan powergum.
And use the method above

I got told this exact same method a month ago or so after losing three rigs in a row to carp using 3 slip. Haven't tried it yet as I switched back over to plastic slip connectors after that but the lad who told me swears by it.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Film maker I’m not, but this is the way I fit my Dacron, although I only use it on elastics below about 10, above that I sue the knot and bead.

I do it the same as this the albright knot, it doesn't cut the elastic. plenty of diagrams if you google it Zipper, Specially good on lighter elastics but I use it for the thick as well.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I got told this exact same method a month ago or so after losing three rigs in a row to carp using 3 slip. Haven't tried it yet as I switched back over to plastic slip connectors after that but the lad who told me swears by it.

No.3 elastic for carp? I only go down to a 4 on the canal.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
What knot did you use at the END of the elastic ?
Fig of 8 or as some call it a Fig 9 (8 with an xtra turn) is the best. If you use an ordinary double turn in a loop this may slip out when the bead is pulled against it. you may not se it at first but with time it could unravel.

stikflote

Site Supporter
It would take me a half hour to do all , a long time ago i tried the double loop to connect to dacron
but it was taking me far to long to do it so i went back to stonfo.
I have never found any problems using a stonfo

Fred Davis

all these methods are old hat even Des ship no longer uses the extra sleeve of rubber In fact a hell of a lot of anglers no longer use dacron as a connector, if you buy the guru dacron connector firstly take out the dacron and bin it, thread your elastic through the thin end of the plastic bead ( medium size will cover up to black hydro sizes), then tie an overhand knot leaving a tag end of elastic from the knot 1/2 inch should suffice pull the elastic so that the knot slips into the bead you will feel it click into place, then you can retrim the elastic a bit closer to the bead but enough elastic showing so you can grasp the end and pull the bead down revealing the knot attach your line over the knot of elastic as you would when attaching it to a dacron connector and pull the elastic into the bead, the loop of line will be pushed forward away from the pole so no tangles also when you pull the elastic out of the bead to attach your rig you can inspect the knot every time, the rig is used as it connects to a bites quicker than a dacron connector with the same benefits of no tangles and more bites connected.

Fred Davis

I should also say if the elastic does show signs of wear on the knot just tie another knot half an inch below the one you are using and you are back with fresh elastic in seconds no hassle