Elastic sizes for winter

kevo36

hi im wanting to order new elastic .getting the matrix slik wht sizes would u say are best now its getting colder I was going to get couple 6-8 and couple 8-10 or is tht to strong

preston solid slip I was going to try the 8 .
is it ok to use Dacron connectors with the solid ?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I asked this question a few weeks ago & I was advised that 8-10 will be fine. Soft enough for silvers but strong enough for carp at this time of year.
Dacron connectors are fine with solid.

marcusp

Silvers
preston slip 5 for roach and small skimmers
6 slip for decent stamp skimmers/bream

solid 8 for silvers only especially in winter is to heavy unless your on a river. You will bump to many

try nick gilbert ultra core in his 3-5 and 4-6 its the same as slik but cheaper and having been using it since Oct in our silvers league every week Im really impressed with it. You can use dacrons no problem

Freesolo82

Doubled up solid is always a good bet in winter when you want to scale down as its very forgiving on the strike

Louis D

Site Supporter
I use NG pink microbore rated 6-10 as my go to winter elastic, it's mega bright so easy to see where ether fish is going in all conditions. Excellent for F1s (and also shallow F1s in summer) but I've had plenty of doubles in the winter as well. I bought some 8-10 slik last year, I found it better when really cold but I prefer the NG. This year I have some NG ultracore, I agree with Nick's view that Matrix have underestimated slik by a size i.e. Matrix 8-10 is nearer 6-8. I recall watching someone fishing slik 6-8 on Suez at Cudmore and being run ragged by smallish carp that my slik 8-10 was somewhat better at handling. I have NG 6-8 and 8-10 ultrabore (i.e. 8-10, 10-12 slik), I think the heavier one will be spot on for dobbing for those bonus carp when your toes are starting to get cold.

If temperatures stay above freezing, I could get away with 6-10 microbore for everything in the winter.

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
NG white 6 - 10 for me.
Was on a silvers session yesterday, and landed all from around 4 ounces to a 2lb perch and 3lb bream.
I got busted up by an energetic carp, but it was the hook length that went not the elastic.
Did manage to land a 5lb plodder ......... eventually ?

spark1

Solid 5 or 6 is ideal. Hollow elastics are thicker and don't work as good when the temperatures start to drop. I've been back and forth between hollow and solid for silver fishing in the winter and can honestly say solid 5 or 6 is the best to use.

jpr.esq

gosh last time i pole fished it no3 or 4 on the canals - only went 8 -10 on venues with tench etc .. didnt have carp in my day ha!!

mind you im talking mid 90's and blood worm and joker / punch was they way to win a match. if you could get a pound to weigh in you had a chance !