elastic protection

eastcoastchris

Hi all, I have just bought a Drennon1250 pole with 4 top kits as I broke no 3 and 4 section of my old pole (a Sundridge titanium, 18 years old, does nothing last anymore lol) I am fitting new elastic etc but what I want to know is when transporting you have to break down the top 2 sections, so how do you protect the elastic coming out of the bottom of the no 1 section as the no 2 section has a rubber bung which protects the elastic but nothing in the no 1 section.
thanks in advance
Chris

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The bung in the top of the number two section is all you really need but if you must fit something Mosella do a strap on end fitting called a pole geni for about £2.50

eastcoastchris

thanks for the advice. as my old pole top 2 kit fitted in my rod tube without breaking it down I'll rely on the rubber bung in the no 2 section, the middy Hi-Viz and keep checking the elastic. This is the problem when you have to replace old tackle with new' and' as I stopped match fishing 20 odd years ago progress tends to leave you behind. I'm still trying to get my head around line diameter instead breaking strain. Still forums like this one are very helpful for an old fart like me!

Total

Site Supporter
I have not used any kind of protector for some time now. Elastic does not get damaged.

Get a nick/small split in the end of an elasticated section(s) and an elastic will get damaged, especially light elastics....Taking measures to avoid this is the way to go and plastic protection via 'doubreys' is a good start...

MarkC

I have always used a "Doobry" to protect the elastic whilst storing top sections. I also liked to leave rigs in place on the top kit
but was only able to this with shallow rigs that were no longer than the length of the number 1 section. Then about 3 years ago I came up with an idea that I called a double doobry which enabled deeper rigs up to the total length of the top kit to kept in place ready to use. I showed this idea to Matrix and this resulted in the recent launch of the Top Kit Rig Clip, which will keep your elastic protected and enable your rigs to remain on the top kit.
Take a look here:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I prefer these from Nick Gilbert as they're a lot softer, a fair bit bigger than the Middy ones, and less easy to lose ...

Spot on, lovely and soft/flexible being made of silicone, so no chance of damaging the joint if you forget to remove them while putting your top 2 together. :upthumb:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Drennan poles have a duplon insert in the number two with or without a ptfe bush inserted so none of the normal "doobery" type horseshoes will fit which is why I suggested the Pole Geni which will.