Elastic how much to pull out

woodbutcher

Hi all how do you lads know how much elastic to pull out the puller with out risking a hook pull I am using green frenzee elastic 12 to 16 fish average 5 to 10lb with odd bigger ones. I get them near net with about 2metre of laccy still out,I prefer getting them close don't like scooping at them only pleasure fishing so where do u draw the line with how much to strip out. Thanks for ur advice and help.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Generally I point the top kit towards the fish and pull until the elastic firms up but still allows me to lift the topkit up at an angle but moving the fish in the same direction , if you get what I mean :)

brokenpole

Always amazes me on this excellent forum that the more silly questions ie were do you pee in matches get loads of replys and interesting ones like woodbutchers get only 1 reply ie from yourself.

davej1981

Its easy to explain where you pee lol. Like alot of what i do, i find it very difficult to explain things like this. I strip the elastic back until i can comfortably bring to topkit up to net the fish, i go on how it feels

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
How much elastic to pull out depends on the elastic and how big / how hard the fish pulls. I tend to pull out about half an arms length, and then re-assess whether more is required. Unfortunately it's one of those things that there is no set answer to,

Steve88

I lost a fish that cost me 3rd in a match last week, because I believe I stripped back too much, the issue I had is the venue was quite deep and landing net handle only 2m, so felt I couldn't get it near enough to net with out stripping back so much. I do tend to strip back far too much though in general sometimes to the dacron before lifting the top kit to net the fish

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As soon as you can get the fish swimming back towards you, strip elastic back fast until the fish is right under the pole tip, then lift up and scoop , if you miss it , repeat the process ??