Elastic choice

Scudder67

I'm changing my elastics on my used pole that I bought it has 3 carp top kits (browning xitan slk) and 2 shallow top kits (browning xitan power match kit cut down) I fish mostly commercials and was looking at the NG elastics to use they get good reviews my question is what do I put in the top kits to cover all avenues I dont mind catching small silvers or big margin carp would like to have all situations covered or should I get more top kits ?
Thanks
Andy

Scudder67

I was wanting to know what range of elastic should I put in my top kits to cover for most situations on commercials with my 5 top kits
Thanks Andy

2lbRoach2hand

Hi Scudder, keeping it simple is paramount. I use yellow hydro for my light commercial fishing - great elastic that is suited to small silvers and amazing when you catch bream or even F1's and the odd carp. I've landed 5lb carp on a 0.10mm bottom on this stuff!

I used to use white hydro for all my general carp fishing (with puller kit) but I have now changed to Matrix Slik 12-14 (orange) and I'm very impressed. Jon Arthur reckons it is equivalent to grey hydro but I think it falls somewhere between white and grey. Very impressed so far with it and a lot cheaper than hydro.

Again, I used to use black hydro for my bagging or margin work for carp. I have now changed to the Matrix Slik 14-16 (yellow) stuff and again I'm very impressed!

If I were you with the top kits you have, I'd put 12-14 slik through 2 of your carp kits, and 14-16 through the other carp kit. As for your shallow kit - up to you but white hydro is hard to beat. Haven't tried the Slik version though so the one below the 12-14 might be ideal.

Only other elastic I use on commercials would be red hydro which is on my margin pole. I really only use this in snaggy swims or when there are larger than average (15lb +) fish expected.

Scudder67

Hi Scudder, keeping it simple is paramount. I use yellow hydro for my light commercial fishing - great elastic that is suited to small silvers and amazing when you catch bream or even F1's and the odd carp. I've landed 5lb carp on a 0.10mm bottom on this stuff!

I used to use white hydro for all my general carp fishing (with puller kit) but I have now changed to Matrix Slik 12-14 (orange) and I'm very impressed. Jon Arthur reckons it is equivalent to grey hydro but I think it falls somewhere between white and grey. Very impressed so far with it and a lot cheaper than hydro.

Again, I used to use black hydro for my bagging or margin work for carp. I have now changed to the Matrix Slik 14-16 (yellow) stuff and again I'm very impressed!

If I were you with the top kits you have, I'd put 12-14 slik through 2 of your carp kits, and 14-16 through the other carp kit. As for your shallow kit - up to you but white hydro is hard to beat. Haven't tried the Slik version though so the one below the 12-14 might be ideal.

Only other elastic I use on commercials would be red hydro which is on my margin pole. I really only use this in snaggy swims or when there are larger than average (15lb +) fish expected.
Thank for detailed info

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
:confused: A question about Nick Gilbert elastics gets answered with recommendations for Matrix and Hydro and that's useful?

Confused.com