Elastic Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozza14

Fairly new angler here.Just bought a Preston GXR 1500 Pro at a good price and it has 8 top (match) kits !!

My regular venue has carp averaging at 4 pounds with one on 5 fish moving to the 10 pound level.

My first top kits have been fitted with preston green hollo which was ok for the average fish but it was a real struggle to land the 10 pounder [:D].

At the end of the session I got smashed fishing in the margin as it took off into the deep and I couldn't attach sections in time.

What elastic ratings would you suggest I set up in addition to the current green hollo? Will the top kits take the higher rated elastics?

Does tightening the elastic acheive the same thing as moving to a higher rating?

On technique, how do you handle the initial strong run from a margin fish when you are set up fishing close in?

All advice welcome however simple. Cheers.

ross lad

what i tend to do is when the fish is going on a run and the elastic is being stretched i put the tip of the pole under the water in the direction of the fish running i have found the fish turns round and heads back towards me,i just wonder if this is the correct thing to do??it has seem to be working for me and i am under the idea that they dont seem to like either the elastic or line going over thier heads i wonder if any one else thinks along these lines(no pun intended)

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Mozza14 mate, Your top kits are rated for the Max Elastic recomended by the manufacturer, as a general rule match top 3's are usually rated to a max 12 elastic, Power top 2's used to be rated to 16 max but newer model pole's are rated to 20 and margin poles are rated to 22 or even 25 elastic.
I use the Drennan carp bungee pink rated 14-16 set fairly soft in a power top for carp fishing and have had carp to 15lb + on it without problem.
Tightening the elastic just shortens the Elastic and has nothing to do with the rating, normally the lower the number the softer the elastic, and the higher the number the stronger the elastic and the more effort required to stretch it .[:T]
As ross lad say's, if when you hook a fish pushyour pole downasnear to the bottom as you can 9 times out of 10 it will break the run of the fish, with the result the fish will swim back toward you.

Last edited:

wwonder

Hiya mate.
If your top kits are match kits they will be rated to either a no. 10 or 12
Are they top 3's?
If so remove the tip section and they will become capable of handling heavier elastics
Go for a hollow 15/16 Preston. These hollow elastics have plenty of give to start with and the more the fish pulls, the power begins to kick in on the elastic
Don't go too heavy on the elastic fitted (stay away fom 17/18 and 19/20)
Give it a go mate [:T]

Mozza14

Thanks for the great comments.

Yes the match kits are top three, with a very small top section.The top one has been discarded when fitting the green hollo.(by the shop).I have checked the rating of the kits and it is 12 or 13 hollo.Will this mean that the 15 wont fit even into the top two? Or is a matter of cutting back until a fit can be made?

My previous old pole had 15 hollo and that would be my preference as you have suggested as it coped with most circumstances.

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
If you get a Power kit you can fit your preferred 15 Hollow, or even 17. According to Pole Compare, The pole is rated to 20 elastic if the power tops are fitted.

Although you could cut the pole back to fit any size of elastic to your match kits in theory, you would risk breaking your top kit.

If you still have your old top kits you could make them fit your new pole by making an adaptor from old pole pieces.

Mozza14

Thanks Auto,

As the power kits are 50, I am inclined to try to use the match kits as I have four spare currently.
How much risk of breakage do you think there would be? Why doesn't the higher rated elastic absorb much of the strain provided I keep the pole reasonably in line with the fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.