eel spotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Whilst searching through some fishing websites i came across the following quote on http://www.predator-fishing.co.uk/articles/eelfish2.htm:
'You are very unlikely to see an eel swimming in a water, and in over 15 yrs of eel fishing I have only seen two eels swimming naturally in a lake, so don't think that by climbing a tree to look for basking eels you will see anything'
Have I just been in the right place at the right time because I have seen numerous eels swimming in the water and I haven't been looking for them? Just wondering what other peoples experience of this subject is?

Lid

What are they meant to do in the water if they don't swim in it then?

I've certainly seen eels swimming in small rivers, which is useful because I can then move my bait (assuming worms) if they home in on it so as to avoid catching the tackle tangling beasties.

Lid [:)]

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i have seen eel swimming a few times in shallow water
i have also once seen one crossing wet grass about 2 in morning

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

norm

me either never once /not once ever ever ever

Dervaig

Once & only once, saw one in a very shallow river.
Never, ever in a stillwater.

Dervaig

Beebs

I've seen them swimming in smaller rivers. Used to see them quite a lot when I was younger. Just find a small stream and start turning over large stones. I guarantee you'll find them.

The Witness

Only ever seen an eel swimming in open water once.That was last year after a lifetime's fishing.
I thought eels were mainly nocturnal and would shy away from sunlight making them very difficult to spot.
On migration in small streams would appear to be the best chance of seeing them.
Richard.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hm problem is doea the author mean "swimming full stop" or "swimming on the surface"??

Its quite common to see grass snakes & adders swimming across water but i've never seen an Eel do it.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

rob27

peg nine
i've seen a small eel 'attacking' a float near the surface. As well as 2 together eating cockles that someone had thrown in the water, as well as loads more just swimming across the bottom in both canal and river, in fact apart from carp, rudd, perch and trout I have seen more eels than any other species in they're natural environment - they were all smallish though - never seen a pike though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.