eel fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfeet

whats the best time to fish for eel and a good way to cook them ? its been years since i have had eel

Cooky

i wouldn't fish for them in a pond fish for them on the rivers and smoke them and eat cold

lights blue touch paper my back eye

just take the smaller ones silver ones,not specimens

jacko the wacko

I aint an expert but ive caught more on the wye this year through the summer than for a long time so maybe now.
Ive never eaten one so cant help you there but they are in decline so most pepole i know wouldnt kill them .

Cooky

tell the shandy drinkers to stop topping them with mash and liquor lol

I can remember the first time i tried jellied eels,i saw a tub in asda reduced and bought them remembering a rick stein program i splashed on malt vinegar and white pepper and tucked into my first bite

i almost pucked at the texture of the skin and would never try another one again lol

mouse77

I have a feeling that you face prosecution if caught killing eels, they could well be an endangered species.

Col7777

I've started river fishing and the place I go there is Eels in there, I hear they take the hook right down is that correct?

jukebox1

Eels are classed as critically endangered at present so maybe not a good idea to kill them at all until their numbers are increased [:T]

Cooky

Originally posted by mouse77

I have a feeling that you face prosecution if caught killing eels, they could well be an endangered species.
I think you could be correct

taken from the EA website

Eel and shad

You must return any eel (Anguilla anguilla*) or Allis or Twaite shad you catch from any water in England and Wales.

This includes estuaries and inshore waters, to a distance of six nautical miles.

* Does not include conger eel (Conger conger).

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Bylaw came into force 1 June banning the removal of eels. So sorry, you can't catch and cook it has to be catch and release.

coldfeet

pleased i made the post now .This is something i did not know about ..thanks all for the info .looks like i will be sticking to my sea fishing for fish to put on the table

DEANO 70

Deano
First of all DONT TAKE EELS HOME AND COOK THEM ! Eels are in decline and you will get fine for taking them as a member of the N.A.C if you do catch a eel please put it back if you deep hook a eel cut the line as close to the mouth thank you

Eric The Red

Deffo on the decline the wear in durham was carpeted with them now hardly ever catch em

coldfeet

New ruling states every eel caught will have to be returned alive
By Angling Times

General News

15 December 2009 12:16

In a huge shake-up of the rules governing freshwater angling, eels caught on rod and line can no longer be taken for the table - they must now be returned to the water alive.

The decision, which ends a centuries-old tradition of fishing for food, follows the announcement of proposed new Environment Agency byelaws outlawing the removal of rod-caught coarse fish.

News of the legislation, expected to be effective by the end of April, comes after years of campaigning by Angling Times and its readers, and proves beyond doubt that the EA takes the problem of fish theft very seriously.

The Agency is proposing that anglers only be allowed to take:

15 coarse fish less than 20cm in length each day
One pike of less than 65cm a day
Lake fish with the written permission of the fishery owner
Two grayling between 30cm and 38cm each day

Anglers will also have to return all eels, a watershed development that highlights the species shocking decline, with eel stocks having collapsed by as much as 95 per cent since the early 1980s.

We hope these byelaws achieve the right balance, but anybody objecting to our proposals needs to do so in writing to Defra by January 20, said senior EA fisheries policy manager Adrian Taylor.

After this final six-week consultation, the EA will formally apply to the Environment Secretary and the Welsh Minister for Rural Affairs for confirmation, after which the rules will be brought into play.

Its a real milestone to have reached. We got there as fast as we could, even conducting an informal consultation in advance, because we recognise how important the issue of fish theft is to anglers, clubs and fishery owners, said Adrian.

The change from the current regional system which allows anglers to remove most species - described by many as archaic to one prohibiting the taking of anything but a handful of bait and the odd pike represents a huge step forward in conservation terms, the need for which couldnt be clearer where European eels are concerned

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Cookyr
Does not include conger eel (Conger conger).

C'mon let's do the Conger,

C'mon let's do the Conger,

Nah nah nah nah,
Nah nah nah nah...

[:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.