Eeby Gorah 'Carp & Chips'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The mere thought of it raised a few eyebrows 'Carp & Chips'??
I have just read a report regarding the shortages of species such as Cod and Haddock due to over fishing and depleting stocks. The report looked at farming of Cod and Haddock and ruled it out as not viable due to mainly the financial aspect and apparently they are not easy species to farm due to issues relating to reproduction and growth rates.

One possible substitute mentioned was Carp. Good growth rates, easy to farm and ecconomically viable, eeby gorah, what ever next?

"Yes, I'd like Carp n Chips twice, once with no batter and can I have a special"

What next, Bream in a basket
?

Tell me what you think... , Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a strange feeling i'll become "public enemy No'1" for this but

I spent 14yrs with the travelling fairs & I have romany blood flowing through my viens (no i won't give him it back) i also usd to spend a lot of time with an old romany who became a joskin (he lived in a house) he cooked me some wonderful foods ALLthese foods came from nature & i have eaten everything from pickled sparrows to 90% of our freshwater fish (i left a few fish for you lot to catch tho'
Carp is nice so is perch with fried mushrooms, gudgeon in butter sauce, pike with beetroot & roast potatos, chub tastes like cotton wool thats been stuffed with needles & bream just tastes like it looks "slimey n orrible".

Squirrel is nice so is hedgehog (& no it ain't cooked in clay) fox tastes vile unless its prepared right (& i dunno how to prepare it cos the old chap never got round to telling me before he died)

A lot of people turn their noses up in disgust at the thought of eating "wild" animals but what they forget is this is what all our ancestors ate before "farmed animals" became the norm.

I am willing to try any food & always have been, did you know that xmas dinner in germany is carp? & don't forget that the carp first came to this country as a food source anyway (monks huh they'll eat anything , bit like a yorkshire mun) i guess what i'm trying to say is don't be disgusted before you've tried it (& yes its true cats do taste like chicken, but i didn't know it was cat till after i'd eaten it or i wouldn't have touched it ok)

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Edited by - Trogg on 17 Oct 2001 12:05:39 PM

Terri

Here Kitty Kitty, any one seen my cat

Trogg, about that invite to sunday dinner Ive got to go to the dentist, church, motherinlaws, school fair, I dont think tha t I can make it - sorry

Terri

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
So it's true what they say, "You are what you eat"
lol

Seriously though, Carp are eaten a lot on the continent and are farmed for the table over there so I suppose it may happen.

Alan?? What happened to the wildlife at Yateley?? Come to think of it, I never saw any

Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

Frank

I would have thought that Trout would have made a reasonable option, they're farmed already in this country and sell about 1.40 - 1.90/lb and I can't say that they taste of anything either. Not like a fresh river fish. But they are cheaper than cod or haddock, mind you so is steak.

Alan, an old poacher once told me that there was nothing that couldn't be eaten, it was all a matter of taste
If it's not wrapped in cellophane and doesn't have a bright light on it, sat in a Tesco's fridge, it can't be eaten

Frank

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Easy answer to this one folks,
Get the wife to cook it,you'll never guess what it started life as

WARNING>DON'T LET THE WIFE LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER WHILST TYPING!!!!!!!
ouch.......smash.......crash..*^%~{$<*........crunch
Good thing she can take a joke,
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.