Edenbridge Angling Society

Marc G

Jesus Flighty are you mad lmao, but im with you in the barbed V barbless battle :)
And before war breaks out, i use crushed barbed hooks all ways
<<<ducks behind wall>>>

kennyx

Ok here's my thoughts

The problem is (let's take NF as an example modern water) todays waters and stocking levels mean that as well as catching smaller fish on the float you stand more than a good chance of catching something larger.

The question then becomes what size tackle should I use?

If you go light you will still have fun catching the small stuff but will also stand a good chance of missing out of the larger ones through hook pulls and broken hook lengths etc.

If you go too heavy you'll catch the bigger stuff but then the smaller stuff becomes a case of just reeling in and is no fun at all.

It's trying to get the balance right. Remember it's a sport so the opposition (in this case the fish) need to stand a chance of winning.

There's no easy answer except maybe where the maximum size is known a rule stating the maximum hook size and line strength can be given.

This will stop people fishing with inappropriate tackle.

It's not perfect but it is a start.

Ken

Marc G

Hi Ken

A lot of fisheries have all ready implemented this approach & it does work if carefully monitored.

Unfortunately rules are made but not adhered too in many cases :(

Marc

aigy

I see the point and agree somewhat, but policing these rules is very rarely practical, in order to do so you would have to go to every angler every day, you would also have to ask anglers to take rods out of the water to check the hooks.
All this has been said and heard before, and there is no real evidence it works.
On another note you should basically have an idea of the fish size and type you are going for and tackle up accordingly, what size hook or line to use is an age old problem.

Last edited:

Kent Trotter

Visited Chit' yesterday evening as I have had no chance to fish yet. One thing is for sure everyone was catching and catching a lot of fish. Looks like there has been some water vegetation planting notably on the recently scalped island. That should help water quality and the look of the place. The fish were all over the surface and those with floating crust were clearing up.

Last edited:

murph

Good to hear that Chit is fishing well Kent Trotter, worrying that fish are still dying though.

flighty

Don't know if it would work but has anybody considered using a petrol operated pump to aireate the water thus allowing a better transfer of oxygen/carbon dioxide. just a thought because chit is very highly stocked & at times they are possibly struggling with the lack of disolved oxygen.

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
Can i remind all posters becareful on what you say and post in this thread when it come to our waters

flighty

Thanks Aigy. I must apologise because to date I have not noticed a pump. Regarding fish deaths I must say that on the few occasions I have fished chittenden recently, I caught a number of carp & all but one (manky mouth)have been in pretty good condition. In addition I personally haven't seen any dead or dying fish.

kennyx

Mr Bag Up

I am somewhat confused as to what you mean by 'careful what you say'.

It seems to me that some of us members are supposed to know things which have never actually been told to us.

For example: There is no directive in the club book as to what to publish and what not to. Also nothing was mentioned at the AGM.

It would be useful to have a set of guidelines.

Thanks

Ken

Marc G

Tend to agree with Kenny, Bag Up, if there is sesitive info within a public forum perhaps it should be locked? :)

off to the river Saturday with intention of over night session in the near future ;)

Do any of you guys meet up locally for berr n fishing chats?

Stingray

I went to NF yesterday, it was my first time there, or any Edenbridge club water. I went from never having caught a Barbel to having over 100 in one afternoon. the best was a 5 .... 5 ounces that is.

My first impression was what a nice well run fishery it is. My best fish was a sort of Koi/Ghost cross that weighed 9lbs. I can't wait to take a look at some of the other waters.

rookery54

those barbel are just bit bigger than gudgeon

think you can tell the difference easily

and they pull a lot harder[:D]

Stingray

Originally posted by rookery54

those barbel are just bit bigger than gudgeon

think you can tell the difference easily

and they pull a lot harder[:D]

When they have piled on a few pounds then it should be interesting.

I was surprised at how many anglers were there midweek, maybe they were all champing at the bit after the poor weather we have been having.

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
Originally posted by rookery54

Nick

hows it going mate long time no see[:T]

Think everybody got the message now[:D]

Going ok Steve [;)], doing a bit here and there (mugging[:p]) going back to the proper fishing now [:)]

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
Originally posted by kennyx

Mr Bag Up

I am somewhat confused as to what you mean by 'careful what you say'.

It seems to me that some of us members are supposed to know things which have never actually been told to us.

For example: There is no directive in the club book as to what to publish and what not to. Also nothing was mentioned at the AGM.

It would be useful to have a set of guidelines.

Thanks

Ken

It's called common sense Ken [;)] this is a open forum don't forget where anyone can see what everyone posts .