Edenbridge Angling Society

Marc G

Hi All
New to MGF, second season at Edenbridge club
had a good day at NF Saturday last, 9 carp to mid doubles, no signs of the bigger boys :(

anyone get any knowledge upon Wittersham?
Nigel the bailiff was raving about the river on Saturday as well as pointing me in the right direction of the bigger carp waters within the club

regards to all

Marc

davebike

Hi Marc

I not fished Wittersham but like you have heard good things
I would go have a look yourself I think it looks great but with the wealth of waters closer I haven't got around to trying it yet
Say Hi If you see my I stand out as I wear a Greys fly fishers Waistcoat and fish the pole also Milo seatbax with a Maggot drowners sticker And Blue Volvo Estate :))

Nigel is worth talking to a goldmine of knowledge although not a carp fan

Marc G

Hi Dave
you are so right about Nigel, a real gentleman & knows his stuff about our waters.
Im not sure how he took my comment about his pole not having a reel, but he certainly chuckled n called me a cheeky ****** :)
Totally agree about the wealth of local waters but im sorta addicted to the larger carp,, but dont get me wrong,, i still enjoy hauling pasties from NF & CH
Going to try n get Wittersham for a walk about this Saturday, time permitting :)
I will certainly look out for you around the lakes
you cant miss me, total camo, typical tackle tart carp set up
Marc

Blargus

Hi Marc

Welcome etc.
I've heard the same about Wittersham, and that it holds some big old pike as well as carp. I keep promising myself that I should at least visit all the EBAS waters, and Wittersham is the one that I still haven't after 3 years ! But for me in Croydon, it's a blinkin long way ! But new season, new resolution I will head down that way soon. Just need to renew my passport.
It looks rather drear on Google earth - but surely not as boring as Bodiam in reality, I hope not.
Let us know what you think/how you get on.

murph

Hi Marc,

I take it you know there are some huge carp in Hever fella?

Bit of a walk up to the lake so you'd have to travel light but I've seen photos of some proper lumps that are among the most stunning fish I've seen.

Have also seen some very large fish spawning in some of the first few swims near the car park but this was a very very long time back now. Undoubtedly some fish along the river stretch but definitely would not be easy.

kennyx

Hi guys

I'm confused I thought EBAS Hever was a river? I didn't know there was a lake there. Am I being totally dense?

Ken

murph

Hi Kenny,

It is 99% a river mate but if you walk right to the end of where we are allowed to fish there are a couple of swims that are on the very corner of the lake (if I remember correctly).

flighty

hi folks. please accept my apologies for possibly teaching my granny to suck eggs but it needs saying. I have just got back from a really pleasant afternoon at chittenden where I had some great fun fishing for the carp off the top. I hooked & lost one at the net & landed a nice 10 - 12 lb common. It was a great looking fish with a couple of recent battle wounds on its flanks which I think were caused by spawning. However its mouth (bottom lip left hand side) was in an awful state, badly cut & bruised. Can I please ask that we all look after the fish we catch. Treat them with a) respect, b)infants bonjella (or similar)on the mouth & c) antiseptic on any body wounds. I am not saying that we are all mistreating our catches but somebody certainly didn't look after this poor fella. I treated it as best I could & can only hope its mouth heals reasonably well. I am by no means a saint but can I please ask that we all take a few seconds to care for our catches.
On a more positive note the fishery looks really great. well done to all those who have put in such a lot af time & effort. It really is appreciated.
[:T]

Last edited:

Marc G

Totally agree with Flighty
I really recommend the korda carp care kit, (NO im not advertising Korda)this small kit costs around a 10 & im never without it :)
These fish are our future sport so utter respect for them please :)

murph

Totally agree guys. I honestly think that most people on MD (and especially the EBAS section) would already follow these principles though.

Thankfully I've seen very little miss-handling of fish on any of our waters.

aigy

Originally posted by murph

Hi Kenny,

It is 99% a river mate but if you walk right to the end of where we are allowed to fish there are a couple of swims that are on the very corner of the lake (if I remember correctly).
wow you guys the above is so wrong you are missing so much at hever if you think that, it has 3 weirs and a huge lake to fish,is along walk but prob one of our best waters.you need to walk thease waters.

There is a match there sunday fiver to fish, so worth coming along you meet other members that fish thease venues all the time. remeber the time advertised is when the fishing starts and hever is a walk of so get there 3/4 of an hour brfore that.

Last edited:

aigy

Originally posted by kennyx

Hi guys

I'm confused I thought EBAS Hever was a river? I didn't know there was a lake there. Am I being totally dense?

Ken
[:W] yes

kennyx

Hi Guys

Had a great session at NF on Friday.

Caught 89 in all, most of them on corn.

I had all species except crucians which appearred to be on holiday.

Had loads of the small barbel but also 3 of about 2lb. There were some nice bream taken too.

Managed to get 2 5lb carp but other than that they were prety much absent,

The rain kept away most of the day except for a deluge about 4pm.

Fished peg 7 by the lillies with float and the far bank with a feeder.

Ken

rookery54

been to Nf today fished peg25

fished 11mtrs to catch skimmers after sussing out how they wanted it caught regular fish up to 2lb fed hemp and micros balled up with 4mm meat on the hook

then came in the margins for the last hour and a half a caught a fish a bung on pellet and paste

loads of small barbel some nice cricians tench had a carp of about 5lb

murph

I must have been next to you or only one swim away I think Rookery as was sure I was on 23 or 24 :0)

Had a great day down at NF. Also had my biggest barbel to date (not massive by barbel standards, but nice anyway).

Also in complete contradiction to my last session, I had loads of Perch and a couple of them were decent size taken on worm near the reeds.

Had one little immaculate crucian and just about every other species known to man.

It was my dad's first trip there for absolutely years (his first season back as a member) and he loved it. Can't wait to get back down there.

rookery54

You must have been two to my right as i had a empty peg

first time i've neen to Nursery in ages

i've never caught so many barbel trouble was most of them were 6 inch's long

are they stock fish or the young ones of the original stock

must say you get the ones around 1 to 2lb and they go like the clappers

Wait till they get to 4lb to 5lb like the ones in Monks they will half pull[:D]

davebike

Oh Hi
I was the Guy with the pole down on 17 :))
first light until just after noon then went and had a look at Heaver and the match top end was very slow !

I had a few tench skimmers a couple of barbel a couple of roach a cart of 6/7 almost all on paste and all in the Margin less than 1m from either the lilly s or the Iris beds

murph

Love it, looks like we had our own MD EBAS fish in without even realising gents [:D] Will have to get t-shirt printed with our names on the back for next time [;)]

You're right about those barbel Rookery, they fight like anything, can't wait until they get bigger!

Will

Marc G

You could be right Murph upon the bulking up of tackle.
I have witnessed this upon various waters/fisheries where anglers believe a 3 1/2 tc rod will chuck further, 18lb main line is unbreakable etc
All most makes you wonder should the club host a few tutorials on the basic's of fishing.
i.e casting, setting up rigs & of course fish care?

I am not convinced that braided hook links do or dont damage carp's mouths but i can see the potential hazard of thin braids.
I think the same could be said for mono hook links when put under strain?

Thinking back to the early nineties, a small carp syndicate that i was a member of had similar issues with carp damaged mouths.
After investigation via the EA & some fishery management company it was concluded that the carps curtain around its mouth was thinner than usual, the reason behind this was due to increased sediment (silt) build up upon the lakes bed, hence Mr Carp no longer had to dig in hard gravel, clay but soft silt.
Upon comparing photographs of fish from this water taken a few years apart it was apparent that the carps lips had actually darkened, stained from feeding in silt/debris etc

I can't wait for the responses upon this ;)

Marc

flighty

I have to agree with Marcs comment re thin braids. Personally, I try to use a relativley "thick" braid for my hook links. Something like super nova. If ever there is tug of war between man and carp the poor old fish will lose every time when the fine braid cuts into the lips. I also find that barbless hooks IMHO tend to cause more mouth damage than barbed hooks.Ooooopppss have I really typed that. Now thats gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons.