Edenbridge Angling Society

Blargus

Well done all, very jealous.

Yes Dave, someone beat you there ! I'm shocked !

Can't wait to get down there now.

flighty

hi folks, I am thinking of putting my carp rods away for this season & trying pole fishing. Having never even held a pole I need as much help as possible. Can anybody reccommend a decent pole for the carp at Nursery & chitt. (max 350)
thanks so much
john

Last edited:

davebike

In the summer I seldom use my main pole a Map TKS 40 in the Summer or for carp but use a TKS 10m Margin pole

I would think you pick one up for about 150 new but would want a cupping kit and at least another power kit they only come with one power kit and a match kit

From my point of view the TKS range biggest advantage is that they all can share top kits so if you upgrade you just keep the kits you use and like

I would be happy to give you a try any time I at NF or chit

Went to Chitt this morning had a few skimmers and a Mirror but it was very slow
I didn't like the look of several carp just lazing about near the surface and two more dead ones I spoke to Richard (chairman) and later to John (fishery manager) His view is all is well but the carp spawned in the hot weather and have taken a battering and will be " a bit off" for a week or two

I will be giving chit a miss for a week or two Hope to get back to NF Monday and or Tuesday

Last edited:

flighty

Hi Dave, I have been trawling the web & was quite impressed with the TKS 10m margin pole. I have found one for 140 which apparently has 2 power top 2 kits. It sounds great but really means nothing to me, (http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/tks-margin-pole-10m-pid7813.html) does that mean it has 2 power kit tops ie 2 strong tip sections each 2 sections long. Sorry to be a right plank but I really don't know one end of a pole from another, so your advice is very much appreciated. Sorry to hear about the carp at chitt. I was planning on taking my grandson there on Thursday. If they have been spawning I will go to a different clubs lake near whitbread hop farm as they finished spawning about 3 weeks ago.

murph

Me and my sunburnt arms are just back from a short session at NF.

Started fishing around one and finished at six-ish.

Had a great little session on the float rod and waggler. Started off using double maggot and had loads of the little barbel.

Had a real mixed bag of barbel, roach (a beautiful golden one around the 1lb mark), a perch, quite a few skimmers, some nice tench (biggest around 2lbs) and a koi crucian! Was a very dark orange colour with black marks, very strange.

Pretty constant throughout the day and was really doing well when I had to pack up. The last hour or so I was fishing corn over a bed of corn and hemp and the stamp of the fish was much better, more tench and some nice skimmers.

All in all it was a cracking day, loads and loads of carp showing and had I taken my carp rod would defo have had some nice fish off the top as they were munching up everything.

I got chatting to a chap who was walking round, he fished Chittenden yesterday and said it was very quiet and nobody had very much out at all. I defo will be giving it some time to settle before heading there I think.

Blargus

Great to be back on NF this morning from dawn to about 9:30

Peg 12, insert waggler to the edge of the reeds to the left, maggot and occasionaly worm segment as well, on the hook.

It did rain, but not constantly, and with little wind so it was quite bearable.

Amazing results, almost "a bite a chuck" !

35+ small barbel, 20 tench, 17 skimmers, one gudgeon, about six roach and a couple of rudd.

Towards the end of the session I noticed two decent carp, one very pale (ghost?) and the other slightly smaller, but with lovely chestnut fins and tail systematically criss crossing the area under my feet in front of the peg. I chucked down some maggots, and they got their heads down and hoovered them up. I prepared a trap with the existing tackle, putting three maggots and half a worm on the size 16 hook, shallowed down the float, and lowered it no more that 2ft out from the bank. Chucked a small handful of pellets and maggots over this and waited. Without spotting the telltale carp flanks, the float sailed away and I struck ! Into yet another barbel ! I reset the trap just before I noticed the broad carp backs approaching. The tension was great as again the float disappeared, and I struck. It was the darker carp ! As his head rose to the surface, I swear he looked surprised, but slightly dismissive. when he realised what was going on, he took off at speed into the lillies to the right. I soon had the end tackle flying back towards me as he threw the hook. The resulting tangle signaled the end of the session, and I packed up, damp and very happy. Great to be back at NF - seems like a long time away.

Only one other brave soul there, on the pole at peg 7 (?). Peaceful and tranquil, just how I like it.

davebike

Sounds like a great session

I am hoping the get another day at nursery fields tomorrow, thinking of peg 18 or 7 or oh well there all great :-0

Blargus

Wangled another pass off the missus, so hit Chittenden yesterday for a cheeky jubilee session, fished from about 5am to 9, peg 6 - would have gone to peg 4 , but kept disturbing a moorhen off her nest, just off the bank there.
Had a walk around the lake before I started, just as the sun was rising (it was a dry and mild morning !) and could see the enormous amount of work that's been done there. In a couple of years Chit could be rivaling NF for beauty I reckon.
I saw just one dead fish, just off the first island, possibly due to spawning - see later.
Landed 9 carp from 3 to 11 lb using method feeders on two rods, home-spiced luncheon meat just outscoring 8mm maryuku jelly pellets. Rods out 20m each, one at 11, the other at 2 (directions you understand !)
It was such a nice morning they started feeding off the top, and I hooked but lost my first ever carp using a floating bait and controller float - exciting stuff.
Had a chat with John Dourley just as I was packing up, and he said carp had only just recovered from spawning, and he'd been tempted to keep the place closed another week due to this. After re-opening on 1.6.12, the fish were literally shagged out, and fishing was hard, but I timed it right and things are now working out well !
Hurrah.
Back to work now Boo ! Those long B/H weekends really go by fast. Roll on the weekend.
[:W]

johnt

Just had a morning session at Nursery Fields. Arrived at 0500 and was the only angler on the fishery until to 10:30. Fished a flat bed method feeder to the margins of the island. Used 3mm Scopex squid feeder pellets with a 10mm scopex squid bollie. Had 3 Carp, 5 Tench 1lb 2lb, and skimmers one of which had a hole through its body just behind the anal fin.

I also fished the float to the edge of the lilies using corn as bait and I had numerous barbel. Have they stocked some recently? Good roach and rudd, with tench to 1 1/2lb, skimmers and right near the end of my session a crucian.

I also lost 2 carp, one in the lilies which took my bait when I was pouring myself a drink (how do they know?) The other one fell off just before the net!

I packed up at 1300 well satisfied with the day.

The only criticism I have is that after sitting quietly for over 3 hours with bird song for company the air gun went off and made me jump. I had forgot all about it.

When I left the car park there were only 4 other cars.

davebike

had a super day at Nursery Fields today over 50 fish tench to 2lb bream to 2 lb roach rudd barbel carp and the smaller if the two Ghost carp at 11lb big tussle on the pole !! [:p]

Chittenden looks better off there tomorrow to get my elastic stretched (I hope)

Last edited:

Kent Trotter

That air gun certainly clears the arteries. gets me every single time. sounds like you guys are having a great start to the season.

We were away last week in the borders with friends at a fantastic camp site called Hoddom Castle, the wife booked it and luckily the site has three miles of the Annan and a gravel pit. i spent three magical evemings and nights fishing the river for sea trout.

I am though really looking forward to NF and getting some much missed coarse fishing in.

davebike

Nice Session Sunday at Chitttenden a small Rudd 3 skimmers and 8 carp to 11lb on pellet and paste a couple of the carp from just sub surface nice

Blargus

Another terrific morning at NF yesterday. On my own at the lake from about 4am till 9.
Kent was looking misty, magnificent and magical on the way down from Croydon, startled a herd of deer on the road just past Crockham Hill, and when I eventually got to NF, met a hedgehog on the path, going the other way to me !
I don't often fish all the way down the end, so thought I'd make a change and set up on peg 16. Just on the waggler and maggot. To my right at the edge of the lillies, and to my left, just below a tree, occasionally straight out towards the island. Started to catch immediately (this isn't Broxham pond after all !). It was remarkable how distinctly the species seemed to be segregated between the areas: tench, rudd, gudgeon (one!) and roach from the lillies; barbel from under the tree, and skimmers/bream from open water.
After much fun, and loads of fish caught, moved to my left to peg 18, where I hadn't been before, and where - as I believe there's an inlet, that might hold other species.
No new showings, but the tench now seemed to favour the reeds to my left, and I didn't get any barbel, gudgeon or rudd here the lillies infested by hundreds of small but greedy roach (all attempting to eat two magggots off the hook.
At about 0800, and around the same time that I lost my 3lb hooklink to a tree (a slightly over-enthusiastic strike!) I noticed the telltale shadows, and heard the slurping of carp feeding on the surface in this corner of the lake, about 15 yards out.
I took the opportunity to strip the shot from my line, move my waggler further up the line ( to use as a surface control float) and put on a hefty 15" 6lb Korum hooklink with a size 10 hook and with their nifty quickstop on the hair.
Having used all my floating baits on my previous trip to Chit - see my last post, I had bought a pot of Scopex Carp floaters from Cheam Angling on Saturday made by "fishface", and of a weird spongy texture. A handful of these 11mm offerings were thrown out and quickly and enthusiastically gulped down by the carp. Spiking one on the hair I cast out amongst them, and added a couple of others by hand. The plan worked, as my bait was guzzled down by a thick pair of fleshy lips. The resulting reaction, run and fight was like nothing I've ever experienced at NF, and after about 15 minutes I had my venue best on the mat; a creamy ochre coloured mirror of 13lb - and my first ever surface-caught carp (or fish of any type for that matter). The huge disturbance and struggle didn't put the others off, and suffice it to say I caught three more, all making into the top four sized fish from Nursery Fields, and all reacting explosively to being hooked and fighting like stink.
A combination of time, the end of the pot of baits and the close attentions of a pair of ducks (she would not leave the baits alone !) signalled the end of a great and informative session.
The presence of herons calling and flying overhead, kingfishers, a snake of some variety and acrobatic terns seen through the (at-times) swirling water mist added to a surreal and unique experience, usually only appreciated by other anglers.
Great days.

Blargus

Sorry, but what I keep forgetting to mention is firstly no crucians during these two very productive sessions, and secondly, and far more surprising - no perch ! Very odd.
And I do love a perch.
About eight others on the lake when I left about 0915.
Cheers

kennyx

Bill

Another cracking session for you.

What strength line were you using?

I may go down there Friday if I can work the time.

murph

A cracking session Bill, brilliant to see NF fishing so well.

Must admit I was surprised to only catch one Perch on my first visit there this season as well as I used to get loads on maggot or worm.

I did have one Crucian but that was a strange Koi-type one, not the classic ones that I've had before. Although these guys are obviously much more difficult to catch than the other species.

Can't wait to get back down there again, possibly this weekend.

Blargus

Yeah murph I've heard that about those koi ones [:D][:T]

Ken, cheers - I'm slightly embarrased to say I don't really know !

I'd guess on that reel - that I use exclusively for waggling (!?) maybe 6lb, but maybe less, but that of course would then cast doubt on the wisdom of putting a 6lb hook link on ! It was an ad-hoc move to catch some opportunistically off the top in my defence.

So let's go with 6.25lb, and say no more on the subject !

It should be :
6lb waggler reel (okuma)
8lb feeder reel (MAP Carptek)
10lb light carp baitrunner (Shimano)
15lb heavy carp/cat baitrunner reel (Korum)
30lb braid spinning & pike reels (Abu Garcia @ Shimano)

I'll have to consider taking the "heavy gear" to NF in future !