Ecological disater for the River Nene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Today the EA have anounced that a major environmental disaster has taken place on the River Nene and stretches for almost 55 miles.

The agency has stated that a chemical spill has all but wiped out all of the lower ecosystem in the river. All inverterbrates, insects, daphnia, and the like have fallen victims to this disaster.

So far as the EA can tell this spill has not, yet, affected the fish life in the river, but given most, if not all, of the lower food chain, has been wiped out I can see that there will be problems for fish life, birds, and other wildlife along the length of the Nene valley. They are at present uncertain about the future, which at the moment looks bleak.

I spoke to the EA control room this afternoon and they told me that
the spill was traced back to the Brackmills Estate, and the Lakeside Estate, tests are being carried out and all indications point to a toxic pesticide. also 50 yes 50 different sources are believed to be identified.

This sort of news makes my blood boil, you can bet this was no accident and was most probably the result of someone who was not trained in the use of this stuff, and was in a hurry to get home and just dumped it down the nearest drain, not realising, or caring, that this action would result in the above.
It takes years for a system to build in a river and it's so fragile in its balance then you get some ignorant prat who for the sake of either a few quid or a few minutes work totally destroys a whole ecosystem which is trully beautiful, unique and miraculous in its creation.

Sorry to be so "theatrical" but I care and I wholeheartedly hate these B*@#**#

Datafile2.gif
Steve
Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Last edited:

Lid

This is a disaster and a half!

Two things I don't understand though.

1) What do they mean by 50 different sources? Is that 50 different substances it might have been, is it 50 different locations that may have caused the pollution, or is it 50 different locations that all caused it?

2) How come the fish survived?

Lid [:)]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Steve this seems to be the report you mention,and thankfully it doesn't appear to have had such a catastrophic effect as first feared.
Still totally inexcuseable though.Lets hope that the culprits can be found and prosecuted.

This is the report from the EA website.............

Environment Agency requests assistance from the public to solve pollution mystery

Author: Louise Reilly
Date published: 2-Jul-2003
Keywords: invertebrates, biological, testing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Environment Agency routinely monitors both chemical and biological quality of rivers in England and Wales to monitor changes in the aquatic environment. Recent biological surveys of the River Nene have indicated that an organic pollutant affected some sensitive invertebrates during the spring of this year. The pollutant entered the river from the Brackmills/Lakes area of Northampton near the Bedford road roundabout on the A428 road.

Whilst the pollutant did not cause a significant fish mortality, or damage to other water life including amphibians and birds, the Agency is keen to trace the source of the pollutant, possibly a pesticide, in order to prevent a similar event occurring in the future with perhaps more serious consequences.

Environment Manager John Sweeney said "This incident demonstrates the value of our biological monitoring programme in identifying a pollution that instantaneous chemical monitoring did not pick up. We have perhaps been fortunate that, on this occasion, the pollution did not have a more severe impact on river life. However, we must ensure that whatever caused the problem does not recur. If anyone can provide information which may relate to this incident, perhaps a chemical spillage or leakage, which happened sometime between February and May this year, I would urge them to let us know. They can pass on any information by contacting our freephone number, 0800 807060, and any calls will be treated in confidence. Any relevant information may be very valuable in protecting the future quality and use of the River Nene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc reference: LR/PR123/03

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Beebs

So where are PETA or the animal rights freaks now then? Or do animals have to be over a certain size or be more aesthetically pleasing to warrant intervention by rug munching tree huggers? (Credit to hawkyboy as I haven't used rug muncher for ages)
That's right PETA - its you I'm talking about. And if your looking in, then off you go to the Nene. You have work to do and people to irritate. It just goes to show that nobody gives a s**t about waterways except anglers. Leave it up to the aforementioned and they'd become polluted cesspools.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Hya all!

Lid in answer to your questions I've followed up and the reference to the 50 sources means that the EA have identified 50 poss. firms on Brackmills where the pollutant COULD have originated.
The fish have not suffered any losses yet as the strength of the pollutant was only great enough to kill the small and sensitive lower level forms of insect life.

My original information source is HERE

Further info can be found HERE

Thanks for your info Peter as you say it's not as bad as first thought but still bad enough as the knock on effect is still uncertain.
The biggest worry is how do you replace insects and waterlife such as that which has been killed??? Nobody I know of does insect and bug farming, Fish can be restocked but how do they get over this loss?

Datafile2.asp

Steve
Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.