EBay issue

Browner

Site Supporter
Here is the problem.
I sold an item on eBay which was to be delivered, at the buyers request, to a 3rd party (an authorised delivery point). All the details were on the parcel, I sent the tracking details to the buyer along with a photo of the parcel. The parcel was delivered and signed for by an employee of the collection point.(I have spoken to them and they confirm they work there). Details shown on the PF tracking system. The buyer was ill and unable to collect the parcel for a week or so. Now the parcel has gone missing. Apparently the buyer has spoken to parcel force and they have not taken it back. The collection point is saying they don’t have it.
As I understand it, my obligation is to deliver the item to the requested address and get proof of delivery, which I have, within the designated time. All of which was achieved.
I can’t see that I have an obligation once it has reach the requested delivery point. Is this not an obligation between the buyer and the collection service (authorised collection point)
Not sure how it goes from here.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Was the delivery address the sam as the address provided by ebay for the buyer? Or did they message after asking for it to be delivered elsewhere?

Browner

Site Supporter
Was the delivery address the sam as the address provided by ebay for the buyer? Or did they message after asking for it to be delivered elsewhere?
The delivery address was the address provided by the buyer at point of sell.

JLK

If the delivery address isn't the same one as was registered to the account that bought your item, you might struggle to get refunded. Seller protection might possibly be void.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It sounds like you've done everything required. It's not your responsibility to ensure the buyer collects it from the designated delivery point in a reasonable period of time. You sent it as requested, got tracking (the important bit) can show on the tracking it was delivered to the collection point which I presume is a safe place, your role is complete

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
Hopefully the communication to send it to a different address was sent on ebay messages, in that case ebay can check the private messages to confirm that it was a buyer request, that particular point wouldn't go against you.

However, I'd be worried - ebay is notorious for ruling in favour of buyers in any case.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
You’ve done very thing you can and that was expected of you - they need to pay up and try finding the package themselves.

As long as you have all the relevant paperwork, emails and photos I cannot see a reason why there’s be an issue with eBay.

Aztecca

If it isn't the same address as the one registered you have no chance with ebay.If someone ever asks to post to a different address i would never.There to many scammers on there.

Browner

Site Supporter
Hopefully the communication to send it to a different address was sent on ebay messages, in that case ebay can check the private messages to confirm that it was a buyer request, that particular point wouldn't go against you.

However, I'd be worried - ebay is notorious for ruling in favour of buyers in any case.
I think you miss understand. There was no request to send it to a different address. The address it was sent to was the address requested. There has been no change of address.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The delivery address was the address provided by the buyer at point of sell.
Was the buyer Chinese? The reason I ask is that I get a lot of Chinese buyers with addresses as shipping companies. If as you say it was sent to the address listed on eBay and you can show the tracking details, if it was signed for at that address you will have no problem.
On a similar theme, I never add the tracking number unless asked. I get a few people who say they never received the item, but as soon as I give them a tracking number, I hear nothing else.

booboo

Site Supporter
I think you miss understand. There was no request to send it to a different address. The address it was sent to was the address requested. There has been no change of address.
I'm assuming they have paid so you have the money? You have proof (tracking) that you've done your bit so forget it - the problem is between the buyer and the pick up address

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Browner you have done everything, if the specified address acknowledged the parcel arriving, but unable to pass it on to the recipient it's them that has liability, regardless of how long they have had it for, I assume its one of these nominated parcel shops. You can prove it arrived at the address done.

Browner

Site Supporter
Thanks all. You reiterate my own thoughts. I don’t think I can control what happens once it’s been signed for at the buyers requested delivery address.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
No it's up to the buyer to sort the issue, grab a pack of smokes a brew of choice and enjoy the show.

Browner

Site Supporter
So six weeks or so later and I’ve had to refund the buyer as he never got his purchase. Even though it was signed for by the shop/delivery point, when the buyer went to collect it a (couple weeks later) the shop had sent it back via RM with no tracking info so it’s now lost in space somewhere. Parcel Force have no knowledge about a return and neither has Royal Mail. I’ve had to refund as eBay froze my account until I did. I guess it might turn up one day.
Think I’m done with eBay.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
So six weeks or so later and I’ve had to refund the buyer as he never got his purchase. Even though it was signed for by the shop/delivery point, when the buyer went to collect it a (couple weeks later) the shop had sent it back via RM with no tracking info so it’s now lost in space somewhere. Parcel Force have no knowledge about a return and neither has Royal Mail. I’ve had to refund as eBay froze my account until I did. I guess it might turn up one day.
Think I’m done with eBay.
Had a similar thing a week or two ago. Buyer said he didn't get it, tracking showed it was delivered and signed for, he opened a case with eBay, but they found in my favour as it showed it had been signed for. I think RM dropped a clanger as the postie signed for it himself by the looks of it, told the buyer he posted it, but it was a parcel which wouldn't have gone through a letter box. It sounded like the postie had previous for similar, RM are now looking into it as I lodged a complaint. Hopefully I will get reimbursed by RM and then refund the buyer. I'm surprised eBay found against you. As for freezing your account, I never had that but funds were on hold until the eBay case was resolved.

Browner

Site Supporter
Had a similar thing a week or two ago. Buyer said he didn't get it, tracking showed it was delivered and signed for, he opened a case with eBay, but they found in my favour as it showed it had been signed for. I think RM dropped a clanger as the postie signed for it himself by the looks of it, told the buyer he posted it, but it was a parcel which wouldn't have gone through a letter box. It sounded like the postie had previous for similar, RM are now looking into it as I lodged a complaint. Hopefully I will get reimbursed by RM and then refund the buyer. I'm surprised eBay found against you. As for freezing your account, I never had that but funds were on hold until the eBay case was resolved.
In fairness I didn’t bother letting it go that far. I paid just to get it sorted. It wasn’t a lot of money and I can kind of understand the buyers point. If anyone is at fault I think it’s probably the shop for how they managed it. It‘s more the principal that has annoyed me. I’m not great with stress and anxiety so it makes my life easier.

corbyclubman

F
Had a similar thing a week or two ago. Buyer said he didn't get it, tracking showed it was delivered and signed for, he opened a case with eBay, but they found in my favour as it showed it had been signed for. I think RM dropped a clanger as the postie signed for it himself by the looks of it, told the buyer he posted it, but it was a parcel which wouldn't have gone through a letter box. It sounded like the postie had previous for similar, RM are now looking into it as I lodged a complaint. Hopefully I will get reimbursed by RM and then refund the buyer. I'm surprised eBay found against you. As for freezing your account, I never had that but funds were on hold until the eBay case was resolved.Fa
Fair play to you
Nothing to gain yourself but can hopefully help out the buyer 👏🏻