Ebay Idiots

CarpCatcher86

Has anyone bought or tried to buy any fishing related items on ebay recently? I have ordered a few things I couldn't get elsewhere and all has been fine.
My two recent purchases have been four giant Drennan crystal loaded wagglers and a new Drennan bait bander. Both yesterday and today I have had messages from the sellers after opening cases (both items delayed by 7 days) telling me that the parcels had been returned along with many others, but just the packaging had been returned, clearly the packaging had been opened and the item removed. Followed by, we would send you another but we are currently out of stock. My guess is that both sellers have sold items that are already out of stock, something that they have only just realized. I've been refunded for all items anyway so it's not all bad, but I wanted the items which is why I paid for them in the first place.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Bought a few things recently, no problems so far.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use eBay pretty much every day and I don’t often have a problem. If you can find sellers you’ve been happy with before and stick with them it reduces problems. I always read seller feedback before I order from them as well.

CarpCatcher86

I just find it hard to believe that two different sellers have had items they posted to me returned, both have been opened and the items removed.
Replacement items can't be sent out because the item is no longer in stock. Like I said, it's likely that the item was never in stock in the first place. What are the chances that the same thing happens twice with two different sellers.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If they have been sent via Royal Mail the sellers need to report it as it might be a case of a light fingered person removing stuff whilst in sorting, or enroute.
We had it happen years ago with Amazon and it turned out to be out local friendly regular postie who was caught out by the RM's investigation team, apparently he'd done loads

CarpCatcher86

If they have been sent via Royal Mail the sellers need to report it as it might be a case of a light fingered person removing stuff whilst in sorting, or enroute.
We had it happen years ago with Amazon and it turned out to be out local friendly regular postie who was caught out by the RM's investigation team, apparently he'd done loads
I have never had this happen and then it happens twice in two days.
Either way I recived a full refund for all items, but I am still wondering if any items have been taken or I paid for items that were actually out of stock. The items being stolen and the empty packaging being returnd to sender might just be an excuse to save telling me the truth.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
just won an appeal with ebay tonight joke of a seller said I never returned item it was fully tracked with royal mail and signed for
nerve of some people.Anyway ebay phone me and checked the tracking number and issued me a refund its taken nearly a month
to get my refund

LilAl

Trogg mk2 ;)
Site Supporter
I have never had this happen and then it happens twice in two days.
Either way I recived a full refund for all items, but I am still wondering if any items have been taken or I paid for items that were actually out of stock. The items being stolen and the empty packaging being returnd to sender might just be an excuse to save telling me the truth.

Had something similar a couple of years ago, but it was for car parts, turned out they were the same seller with diffferent accounts, usual chinese drop shipping thing only the "drop" was late and he was trying to delay people.... exact same message just cut n paste onto the ebay PMing system!

just won an appeal with ebay tonight joke of a seller said I never returned item it was fully tracked with royal mail and signed for
nerve of some people.Anyway ebay phone me and checked the tracking number and issued me a refund its taken nearly a month
to get my refund

I went through the same thing with some work boots i ordered from a manchester company, they claimed they'd been delivered and had signed proof, i asked for the tracking number which they sent me, when i checked it and then rang royal mail and explained the problem they told me the delivery was made to a post office in Coven.

So i went back to ebay and tried getting the seller to refund me or send me another order they refered it to Ebay who found in their favour so i rang ebay and spoke to an Indian gentleman he also refused me the refund because the boots had been delivered, so i demanded to speak to someone else and he hung up.

I went to email and gave the full story including the phone call and how rude the guy had been, i then get a call from a very nice Indian lady who took all my details and the tracking number etc and told me she'd call back.
I wasn't expecting a call and figured i was looking at writing the money off, 20 minutes later she calls back and tells me she'd spoken to royal mail who had confired they were delivered to Coven post office.
She then looked into the history of the ebayer and it seems a lot of people had gone through the same thing as me so she was refudning me and ordering an investigation into the traders activity and she would keep me updated.

She kept her word, they removed the trader from ebay, seems it was a family affair, a lot of stuff was being shipped to post offices, signed for, collected by someone and then refunds were refused but i was the only one who hadn't given up and taken it to ebay, if i'd given up and not chased my money they would have continued to get away with it!

rudd

Site Supporter
I always look into seller history, feedback etc.
One guy selling brand new atts alarms and accessories as new but cheaper than anybody by a considerable amount.
I messaged him asking if these were refurbished or if he could provide provenance of kit - he had sold and was selling a fair bit but I could see patterns, one month only red led mode!s, another blue.
I figured he was somewhere in supply chain with light fingers so did not bid/buy from him.

JayD

I don't do on line buying, but my wife and kids do. The other day I went into one of the 'Pound shops' to pick some cleaning stuff up, and my wife saw some little 'fairy' buildings, bridges, and swings, that would look good in the grandaughters bit of our garden, so we picked a few up at £1 each. Later that night, my wife called me over to look at something see'd seen on ebay, the same little things were being sold at between 6 and 8 quid each! I might be a tight old Yorkshireman, but who would be daft enough to pay that for something that obviously cost pennies to make and ship? I thought a quid each was pushing it a bit.

John.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
Theres plenty of that going on i remember when they used to have the tackle shows at Haydock racecourse and Roger used to do the dragon carp auctions.There was lads there buying anything they could get thier hands on loading it into vans and going back for more.Weeks later they were all over ebay for stupid money

CarpCatcher86

I always look into seller history, feedback etc.
One guy selling brand new atts alarms and accessories as new but cheaper than anybody by a considerable amount.
I messaged him asking if these were refurbished or if he could provide provenance of kit - he had sold and was selling a fair bit but I could see patterns, one month only red led mode!s, another blue.
I figured he was somewhere in supply chain with light fingers so did not bid/buy from him.
Checking feedback only does so much these days as hardly anyone leaves it anymore. but both sellers do have a lot of poor feedback. In my case I don't think there is anything dodgy going on, other than I have been sold items that were not available to sell. Instead of admitting their mistake both sellers claimed the items had been opened stolen and the empty packaging returned to them. One item wasn't due to be delivered until tomorrow so at least they let me know in plenty of time. The other item was over a week late, the seller didn't let me know what was going on until I opened a case demanding the item.
One seller sent me a message saying sorry for what has happened but we are now out of pocket. Like I give a toss. I haven't lost the item. They also included a photo of the returned opened parcel with a sticker on it saying, found damaged or opened. I can't see my name or address on it though so I am not sure.

Last edited:

JLK

If you think that's strange. I ordered two fat max storage cases from eBay and they turned up from Amazon! Item location said Southend on sea. Then after a bit of digging seller location was US. I always thought drop shipping was banned on eBay, but obviously not.,?

CarpCatcher86

If you think that's strange. I ordered two fat max storage cases from eBay and they turned up from Amazon! Item location said Southend on sea. Then after a bit of digging seller location was US. I always thought drop shipping was banned on eBay, but obviously not.,?
I have noticed that a few times, but with the seller being in the UK.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I had this at this time of year except the items never arrived, turned out that a temp Xmas employee at the RM had been busted with over 200+ parcels in his flat, I was refunded by the sellers then about a month later received the original packages in marked RM bags with an apology saying your items had been tampered with.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
There appears to be a light fingered employee in my local RM chain at the moment. I have had a few EBay packages I have sent disappear, as have a few other people in the area.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Seen a video the other day. Delivery driver put parcel on doorstep. Took a photo of it. Then picked it up and put back in his van. ?

Robwooly

Spare a thought for the sellers at this time folks, seems to OP got refunded in full. It's easier to say something is out of stock than say it went missing in post so why make that up, it makes no sense given that you will still have to refund and have more correspondence to sort out than you have time for.

A lot of stock is getting sold as soon as you get in in what with the tackle shops closed and everyone online, whats more you can't remove a listing on ebay if something is temporarily out of stock as Ebay's logarithm will soon bump it down the order until it gets no visiblilty at all when you do have stock.

Also many sellers are working 24/7 at the mo, I know I am, at the breaking point too, lots of good sellers in ebay, we have to put up with some bad 'buyers' some dodgy post and sometimes you bust a gut for a loss, thankfully it's rare but it happens.

Just thought I'd offer a viewpoint from the other side